Other Players

Proteus, Does This Set Your Hair On Fire?

The greatest is a matter of opinion. I'm sure their fans think they are the greatest. Not a fan of theirs.

There probably is no such things as a greatest rock band but there is such thing as a favorite rock band.

Rock? I think they are more like folk with electric guitars.

I like this Eagles band. They were around first. Maybe they should have sued the folky Eagles for using the name but then again they would have never won that one because money talk.

The British Eagles much better than the American Eagles both in music and looks. These lads look clean cut and respectful. None of that hippie folky long hair like the American Eagles -

I like Vince too...I was bummed. I'm not sure the Eagles ever even played in L.A. They were studio guys, and they were in L.A., but they were hardley an L.A. band. Yes, they were very successful...in a market where other music was banned from radio. They certainly didn't R&R.

– Billy Zoom

What other music was banned? I am too young to have witnessed this. I got into music later.

They were hopelessly corny...definitely no match for the Ramones.

– Billy Zoom

They were no match for X!

I love your band Billy so I had to throw that in there.

The greatest is a matter of opinion. I'm sure their fans think they are the greatest. Not a fan of theirs.

There probably is no such things as a greatest rock band but there is such thing as a favorite rock band.

Rock? I think they are more like folk with electric guitars.

I like this Eagles band. They were around first. Maybe they should have sued the folky Eagles for using the name but then again they would have never won that one because money talk.

The British Eagles much better than the American Eagles both in music and looks. These lads look clean cut and respectful. None of that hippie folky long hair like the American Eagles -

– ThePolecats

Love this. Great amps. Would have sounded better with GreTscHes.

What other music was banned? I am too young to have witnessed this. I got into music later.

– ThePolecats

You can see this in action in the the film, "X, the Unheard Music" (which played for exactly one week in San Francisco when released before being shelved.)Perceived market forces (everybody likes journeybostonforeignerinc.) and outright castigation of punk and reggae did "ban" a lot of music. Just check out press coverage of The Sex Pistols tour and Bob Marley's funeral. If you didn't live near a good college radio station, you literally didn't know what you were missing.

I guess I'm easily pleased by commercial music and radio. Sure the Eagles were overplayed on the radio but my radio had knobs. Still does and when I hear anything with Axle Rose in it, the channel changes. The eagles are actually easy to listen to and have some great hooks (JMO of course) I can understand why some people feel this way. It doesn't really bother me.

I will remain a fan of the Eagles over Axle Rose til the day I die. Are they on my playlists? Not really but they don't tick me like certain other "Artists" do. Life in the fast lane and other Joe W stuff really rocks. ( again JMO)

I grew up more pop than rock. I like the Eagles and some of their songs (mostly ballads) are my favorites. Probably it's the vocals that I most admire.

• Ol' 55

• Lyin' Eyes

• Wasted Time

Overplayed? Like Dave said, that's why there's a dial on your tuner.

Don't like the music of a band? Fair enough, that's a personal preference and that's why there's so many artists out there.

Ugly dudes with bad hair? Really? Cheap shot from the peanut gallery that has nothing to do with the music from these guys. LOL

A. They weren't great.
B. They weren't Rock.
C. I hate when they get called an L.A. band. (they weren't)
D. Vince Gill is a whore.

– Billy Zoom

This is possibly one of the funniest things to ever appear on this site!!!

I like their early stuff. The first two albums were great. I worked a show on their first tour. Poco was the warm up band and stole the show. The Eagles seemed that all they were there for was to get a paycheck. Poco got the encore.

Then, there are the Eagles of Death Metal. Just go out and get your own name instead of quantifying someone else's.

Most people don't realize that an Eagles' tune is the theme song for a beloved TV show and movie---"Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". It uses the song "Journey of the Sorcerer"---the last song on the 2nd album.

a little useless but related history ... At a NAMM show in the mid 70's our (Gretsch) booth was between (new upstart) Hartley Peavey and a booth that had invited Freddie Walecki to sit in and do "booth duty". Naturally, I became friends with both Hartley & Freddie (we'll discuss Hartley another day). Freddie was the current owner & son of the original owner of Westwood Music (near Rodeo Drive) a fairy well respected music store where "all the superstar rockers" hung out. Supposedly Freddie & Bernie Leadon were high school best friends. The Eagles got a couple good gigs, needed gear, had none ... Freddie talked his dad into "lending" them a truckload for their gigs, they sounded good, and they started their successful careers. Years later, Freddie got cancer, ran short of his ability to pay his medical bills, so the Eagles put on a big fundraiser concert in LA which raised a bunch of money to help save Freddie's life. #2 ... POCO (great freakin' band) ... in '75 (or thereabouts) Paul Cotton was a recently signed up endorser of Gretsch guitars, Rusty Young was a Sho-Bud pedal steel player, so ... that was my connection. Got a call from Paul at home one day inviting me to POCO's show at the Spectrum in Philly, so ... I went down, backstage, hungout with the band and had the BEST.TIME.EVER. Fun guys, for sure (I'm told I had a wonderful time). #3. My Gretsch office was in Cinci, where Pure Prarie League called home base (several from Covington, KY but just across the bridge from downtown Cinci). They had a big gig scheduled and their band trailer was stolen a few weeks before the gig (might have been the gig they opened for Dave Mason in Cinci, my memory has faded). My boss (John Howren, Nat'l Sales Mgr at the time) invited P.P.L. into the warehouse, told them to pickout an assortment of guitars & amps & drums required to play the gig ... Gave it all to them, no charge. They played the gig, enjoyed a nice career, and thanked Gretsch profusely. I think there may even be an honorable mention on one of the album credits. I met them all at the show and stayed close with Dave Mason & his band for years afterwards. OK, I'm done now ...

a little useless but related history ...

Yeah, useless, but totally awesome! Thanks for the stories-- no wait, those aren't stories... that's what you call LORE.

Has Joe Walsh ever been seen playing a 6120 ? Just wondering

Joe Walsh knows his way around Gretsch guitars; he gave Pete Townsend the 6120 used to record WHO'S NEXT and QUADROPHENIA.

Joe Walsh knows his way around Gretsch guitars; he gave Pete Townsend the 6120 used to record WHO'S NEXT and QUADROPHENIA.

– Lacking Talent

Is that the one Townshend gave to Johnny Marr? If so that's weird that an Eagles guitar became a The Smiths guitar.

Is that the one Townshend gave to Johnny Marr? If so that's weird that an Eagles guitar became a The Smiths guitar.

– ThePolecats

I think he still has it.

Ugly dudes with bad hair? Really? Cheap shot from the peanut gallery that has nothing to do with the music from these guys. LOL

Calling a light-hearted jest a cheap shot is...well...a cheap shot. In this case though, not at a band but at a fellow member. LOLOLOLOL...or, whatever.

Register Sign in to join the conversation