Other Players

Nokie Edwards

Hearing word from folks who would know that he has passed.

From Thom Bresh -

NOKIE EDWARDS 1935 - 2018 Nole "Nokie" Edwards passed away early this morning, according to family sources. The musical world has lost an iconic treasure. He was an accomplished musician known primarily for his work with the Ventures, starting as their bass player, but quickly taking over as lead guitarist. The Ventures sold over 100 million records. He played lead guitar for many Country and Western legends throughout his career and he had a worldwide following. In 2008 he was inducted, along with The Ventures, into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. For the last 25 years he has released numerous CDs and has had an ever-increasing fanbase, thanks to his virtuoso fingerstyle guitar style. Nokie always made us laugh with his jokes and smile with his music. He will be missed. "Nokie" Edwards 1935-2018 R.I.P.

RIP, such an inspiration.

An amazing talent and an inspiration. Going to have to crank the Mosrite into the Showman tonight and blast through some Ventures songs. RIP Nokie-San!

One of the greatest inspirations to my dance career as a little kid, as my father would play ventures for us on the stereo console every friday night on sabbath (I raised in a weird religion that think they are jewish) as there were no "Secular" lyrics. He was always working the loopholes like Duane Eddy, Chet Atkins,etc. Later in junior high school The Ventures would be come very important to my guitar playing. I finally had the honor of seeing the Ventures perform at the Brian Setzer Christmas show. One of the greatest gifts Brian Setzer has given to us. My sons got to witness the living legends and just last week my youngest was in his room practicing his drums to "Walk Dont Run". RIP Nokie

The first songs I learned were from the Ventures' first two albums. Still love to play them. At 83, Nokie had a good life but dang it's hard to tell people good bye. But it will catch up to all of us sooner or later.

Nokie was such a gentle soul. He is one of the smoothest I have ever heard play. He was a proud member of the Cherokee Nation. We weren't close friends, but we were acquainted. I introduced my daughter in law to him several years ago, and she asked him to sign a CD of his that she had, which he gladly obliged. When he handed it back to her, she smiled and said, "Thank you, Sir." Typical Nokie, he said in his low voice, "My name's Nokie," and smiled back at her. Nothing but respect for Nokie from me.

This is sad news indeed. What guitarist who grew up in the Sixties didn't cut their guitar playing teeth on The Ventures. He was one of the best, for sure. He sure did leave us a great legacy with his recordings, didn't he?

R.I.P. Nokie. You will be missed.

I heard The Ventures before I heard - or was aware of - any electric guitar-based music. Before Beach Boys or Beatles or blues.

They couldn't have been the first time I heard electric guitar - but they were the first time I knew I was hearing electric guitar, and associated the sound with those futuristic instruments that were so shapely and sculptured and space-age I couldn't even have imagined they were made of wood.

That tone and that approach have stuck with me, and no matter what I play are always some part of my guitar DNA.

Nokie belonged to that age; now he belongs to the ages.

I had the pleasure of hearing him play and meeting him several times in the last decade, and was fortunate to share a meal or two with him, gathered 'round one of Joe Carducci's magnificent tables. Nokie was a quiet, soft-spoken, twinkle-eyed gentleman as humble personally as he was masterful on the guitar (where there was so much more to him than surf).

It seems it's a season for letting go people who've touched us, who've been part of our musical worlds. Nokie's was a long, incredibly productive, and - one hopes - personally satisfying life. He gave us so much.

My sympathy to family and close friends. It's never easy.

Another great one gone.RIP.

Sad. I know what I'll be playing tonight. "Walk, Don't Run" was the first (electric) guitar solo I ever tackled. Years later, I played lead for a Ventures "set" as part of the Graffiti Rock show I was with in the middle 80's.

RIP Nokie. Missing you already.

As some have already stated, and I’m sure many of you share this memory, The Ventures were my first awareness of electric guitars. Just as with George Jones and Johnny Cash, I don’t really remember a time without Nokie Edwards and his music. It’s easy to imagine that some people and their art will go on forever.

Ars longa, vita brevis est. RIP, Nokie Edwards.

As some have already stated, and I’m sure many of you share this memory, The Ventures were my first awareness of electric guitars. Just as with George Jones and Johnny Cash, I don’t really remember a time without Nokie Edwards and his music. It’s easy to imagine that some people and their art will go on forever.

Ars longa, vita brevis est. RIP, Nokie Edwards.

– Viper

"Art endures, life is short." Another joins The Really Big Band.

I've got a Nokie story. After a show at the Stone in San Francisco I asked him what kind of delay he was using. He answered that he couldn't be bothered with plugging in a bunch of stuff so he just faked it by playing the echos. His faking it sure fooled me.

Several of the first songs I learned on guitar were Ventures songs. I’ll always be grateful to Nokie and the others for sharing their talents with the world.

Rest In Peace, Nokie. He was a huge inspiration for me, starting with this...

I loved Nokie's playing! The beloved invaders movies are my favorites! RIP you inspired all of us!

I saw The Ventures around 1979. I always loved them and loved the fact that the simple songs/melodies were easy for a young player to learn. I never really considered that there was any actual guitar virtuosity in the band. Nokie TOTALLY FLOORED ME. IIRC he used a thumbpick and fingers and, in that night, changed my approach to playing. I greeted him briefly after the show and he seemed a graceful gent. Interesting timing for me since my dad passed Sunday evening.

Sad news. He had been in I’ll health for sometime. Glad I got to meet him once and sign my guitar. Glad I saw him play with The Ventures.

He used to play one night a week at the "fine dining" restaurant down the road from my house. Managed to catch it a few times. Soft nylon string acoustic solo stuff.

As a youth that didn't think he actually liked music the Ventures were one of my favorites.

“Nokie was one helluva guitar player and I loved pickin' with him onstage. He was a kind and gentle soul.

You certainly made your mark, Nokie. Rest In Peace.”

Duane Eddy

Register Sign in to join the conversation