Other Players

No Chance for Gretsch!

Even "Punks" come around ( here no more ).

So, tell me about the Vietnamese-saion of the Bandolero Bullets on the Leather Jacket?

Plain white no nothing Liner Notes...Zero!

This is what it looks like if you are a Loser...

Shelter Records, not where you want to be in 1976...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/...

Oh, Yeah...You Bigger Loser!

Now Disco sans Punk? Another Shelter inspired Album Cover...

Remember Dwight Twilley? Oh, you don't? Hint.....Shelter Records.

There is "No Better Version" of any translated Rock Song than the Swedish Version of...

"I Need to Know"...

Look it Up!

I am a contrarian -- I thought a lot of guys who started selling records in the mid 70s (Petty, Springsteen, Billy Joel) really didn't start to get good until a few years later. Their songs were better. I can't listen to any Springsteen or Joel -- all this bombastic productions... from the 70s but start around 1980, yes. Same for Tom Petty, and it's been just about a year since he left the scene. Gone too soon.

Not sure that I understand just what this thread is about.

Aw, Come on, Man!

Tom was as unlikely a success as they come...

But, a Gretsch Fan.

The Punks were EVERYWHERE while he spun another genre!

Aw, Come on, Man!

Tom was as unlikely a success as they come...

But, a Gretsch Fan.

The Punks were EVERYWHERE while he spun another genre!

– Twangmeisternyc

This may or may not be true, but I've never been a petty fan since I read somewhere that he disliked Johnny Thunders Heartbreakers so much that he took the name just to be more successful. I'm a Dolls/JT fan, btw...

Johnny Thunders is the most untalented guitar player ever risen to fame. His playing is so dismal it's a bad joke. The only thing he had going was image. Yes, he looked cool, but man, couldn't he play a lick!

The fact he achieved a cult status is depressing, when just on another thread people bashing gifted musicians who actually have skills and talent, and who's only fault they play better than average.

If Tom Petty stole the name from JT to spite him, I applaud him!

Is this thread in code?

K

Glad it’s not just me!

Not sure that I understand just what this thread is about.

– Ric12string

Thank You! Same here. Kind of vague. I should read the rest of the post and see if I can gather what's going on here.

Johnny Thunders is the most untalented guitar player ever risen to fame. His playing is so dismal it's a bad joke. The only thing he had going was image. Yes, he looked cool, but man, couldn't he play a lick!

The fact he achieved a cult status is depressing, when just on another thread people bashing gifted musicians who actually have skills and talent, and who's only fault they play better than average.

– rocksteady

As we know, Johnny Thunders was a catalyst in getting punk created. Steve Jones of The Sex Pistols was heavily influenced by Thunders. In fact Steve Jones has said he is embarrassed now by the way he stole Thunders' image and stage presence of style. I guess in this case you can say he stole Johnny's Thunder.

I like the straight forwardness of Steve Jones' playing and how he took Chuck Berry style and attitude to the next level. Of course you can hear Johnny Thunders guitar influence in Steve Jones' playing. It's obvious. Jones sounds like Chuck Berry got into a collision with Johnny Thunders. Jones sounds like Thunders Lite. Thunders also stole that Chuck Berry double stop method in his playing. I like some of Thunders work but not too into his music.

So I think the backlash of skilled musicians brought on by the punk movement made heroes out of guys like Thunders. Steve Jones had the typical British punk image that he helped create and perpetuate but in fact he liked a lot of music that punk supposedly was against. He liked Journey and Boston for example but had to keep that quiet.

I'm a big fan of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. My understanding is that in England people thought that Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers were punk, at least before they arrived there and saw them live. I don't know if it's because they may have confused the name The Heartbreakers with Johnny Thunders. AC/DC were once thought of as punk in England or maybe to an extent until they saw them. I can see why Petty hated Johnny Thunders music and playing. Total opposite of each other.

At least Thunders is making good use out of a vintage Gretsch here -

is a confusing thread. I probably haven't got it.

but don't think you have to be a great and skilled musician to make great music.

in fact nothing can suck the life out of great music more than greatly skilled and highly trained musicians.

Ever seen a Conservatorium funk fusion band doing Parliament covers? Saw one the other week. So tight and pitch correct.. and give me JT any day. . . or the real Parliament...

– rocksteady

Gonna have to disagree with that, LAMF is a totally kick ass album, and his playing with the dolls was great. It was simple, raw rock and roll. He got bad when his drug use got bad, no doubt, and how much "fame" he rose to is questionable. His playing changed the course of music as much as the ramones. I think Tom Petty is about as vanilla as they come

I'm still lost... This thread might need some BACON!

I had a bunch of older Vinyl out...That cover struck me as how unlikely he would be associated with Gretsch throughout 40+ years.

Then The Wilburys, then on his final Tour several of the more modern versions.

You see him with Rics, but there is a lot of Gretsch!

But, in 1976, with that Album Cover....no wonder he needed to change his Record Company...

In reference to the OP's original backhanded compliment on Tom Petty...

"Even the losers.... Get lucky sometimes."

Yeah, the record company just had absolutely no idea how to market Tom Petty at first... He was "new" on the National scene, punk was still popular, and they just totally missed the whole Byrd's connection in the music, so when the record hit the stores, most retailers in the US took one look at the record sleeve and threw it in the "punk" section.

Luckily, he survived that debacle... And fortunately for him, was never labeled "the new Dylan"... Which to this day has always been a kiss of death for most artists so inclined.

Gonna have to disagree with that, LAMF is a totally kick ass album, and his playing with the dolls was great. It was simple, raw rock and roll. He got bad when his drug use got bad, no doubt, and how much "fame" he rose to is questionable. His playing changed the course of music as much as the ramones. I think Tom Petty is about as vanilla as they come

– Chmason85

Tom Petty vanilla? Well, lick this!

The first Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers album I bought was in the punk section. I got a pretty good laugh out of that.

I loved JTs work with the Dolls, after that, not so much.

i think that creating Petty's brand in a "punk" style--or more accurately a "New Wave" style--was pretty inevitable at the time. being before indie rock as such, New Wave was the only place you could be different, and from the start bands who really weren't punk so much as non-marketable bands with a sneer to their attitude e.g. Television, The Knack, and Graham Parker wound up in the "punk/new wave" bins. kind of like how in 1968 suddenly every band trying to break in had to have their hippie duds sorted.

i rather liked the first few Petty albums, but from Southern Accents on his writing became more clever and less moving, more contrived. he never cut a song as good as "Straight Into Darkness" again after that. all IMO, of course.

i've already said enough about Johnny Thunders lately, so i'll let that particular dead horse be.

Tom Petty vanilla? Well, lick this!

– jeffed

Hahaha I gave it a lick, still not my thing, but I'm by no stretch saying it's bad, he was talented, just not my cup of tea. But like most things, I'm sure I'll warm up to him. I just saw social distortion a couple weeks ago and their opening music was Tom Petty, so I do like that one song, at least because it reminds me of the best live show I've ever seen!

Tom was not a youngster when the Record deals started. Lots of Dues Paid.

Then all the nonsense with Shelter, and then MCA.

Good thing it was Radio Only back then...listen first, look second....

I cannot understand for the Life of Me the Bandolero Bullets! Then the Big City Night Out Disco Dance wardrobe on the second Album.

New Wave or Punk doesn't seem to fit...

Damn the Torpedoes and Hard Promises were next, I have those on Vinyl, too, but by then he got himself away from the contrived image making...Big Lawsuit resulted.

To be honest, I, amongst millions, miss him. Granted, he was a musical late developer. He only appeared on my radar with the Wilburys contribution. Then I started back-tracking to his previous albums and forward-tracking to his latest and best right up until the time of his death. I'll spare you the eulogy. He wouldn't have wanted that, although it may have amused him. To me, Tom Petty comes closest to the un-achievable title of America's Best Rock 'n' Roller of all time - although that moniker is an impossibility in a country whose popular music strength lies in its cultural diversity, even disparity. In this regard, the United States is un-united, imo, and that's a good thing. Its multiple influences spawned worldwide playback. But back to "Pettiness", again a good thing, lol. Gimme a minute and I'll come up with a priceless memory of Petty the man and his unlikely friend Gary Shandling (aka Larry Sanders) who both died within months of each other at age 66. If anything at all comes out of this rambling thread, it's this.

Okay, what is the most explosive Tom Petty song? Seriously, my interest is piqued, as a non educated petty-ite

Register Sign in to join the conversation