Other Players

Nick Lowe

Redrocker and I went to see Nick Lowe at the Keswick in Glenside tonight.

I think this guy is one of the most masterful songwriters out there and his set tonight proved it.

His guitar player, Johnny Scott, was playing an(my guess)early 60's 6120 the whole night, and sounding great, too.

He played a bunch off his new one, some choice covers, and a slew of old favorites, and made it seem effortless.

Any fans of his on here?

Love him. Loved him since the days of Rockpile and Elvis Costello and the Attractions.

Oh yeah, Crowbone, I am a Nick Lowe fan. I also liked his work with Dave Edmunds (in Rockpile) that I am familiar with.

I have to say that he looks quite thin in that photo from how I remember him from earlier times. And, of course, he is gray now (not that there is anything wrong with that!) compared with his earlier appearance.

He was mostly gray in the early '80s. He's full on white now!

Saw him with Wilco in Dallas this past November. His songwriting has gotten even better since those Rockpile days and I thought it a shame that he was opening for anyone - he certainly deserved 2+ hours.

One of my favorites: I Live On A Battlefield

It was a great show -- THEN he closed out with a cover version of EC's "Allison" that totally floored me.

redrocker: saw what was probably the same show in the UK about a month ago — yep, great entertainment and so well presented. Johnny Scott (Van Morrison's long-time sideman) was on a dc 6120 and Geraint Watkins, the wonderfully eccentric Welshman, on keyboards. Geraint also did a solo support slot.

Amongst all the usual Nick stuff, we also got a version of the (very) old Gene McDaniels hit Tower Of Strength, which is better known in the UK for a cover version by Frankie Vaughan.

Big fan here too. Missed his show in Oslo a few months ago...

Lots of love for Mr Lowe round here. Master craftsman of the songwriting world.

One of the best songwriters always a favorite. Maybe the best song ever and one of my super fave's is "What's So Funny..." - Costello's version kicks major butt. I was spinning the compilation "Basher" just the other day telling my little girl what great songs these were. Was he a nice fella?

Long time fan here. Got most of his stuff on vinyl, still spinning regularly.

A couple of years i saw him do a solo-show (sunday afternoon!) in Paradiso. What a great performer and entertainer.

You must have seen the show he did on 'Live from Daryls House', but in case anyone missed that, check it out:

LFDH with Nick Lowe

I heard him do a quiet version of "What's So Funny..." on the radio, just him and a guitar and I was very moved. I've recently added that to my own song list. He's at the Birchmere, Alexandria tonight. I'll try to make it.

one of my favs

I saw the Live from Darryl's with Nick. I dig him. Bet it was a great show.

A couple of years i saw him do a solo-show (sunday afternoon!) in Paradiso. What a great performer and entertainer.

You must have seen the show he did on 'Live from Daryls House', but in case anyone missed that, check it out:

LFDH with Nick Lowe

– will keeris

LFDH with Nick Lowe

– will

That's a great episode.

"Cruel to be kind" was so sweet, and you see they're having great time...and the acoustic guitars just shine.

In watching the LFDH with Nick Lowe, I was reminded of what an integral part T-Bone Wolk played in the Hall and Oates sound. Essentially, he always carried the guitar parts on any of the LFDH episodes that I have seen. Great player.

The selection of Nick Lowe's songs for this episode was truly splendid. And the vocal treatment given each was great.

Bob, I also enjoyed their performance of Cruel To Be Kind. Some good fun there.

Huge Nick Lowe fan here from way back in the Rockpile days (saw them in Seattle in 1980)... saw him with the current band in Somerville MA about 18 mos. ago, great show.

My first show ever (I was 15) was Nick Lowe with Rockpile opening for Elvis Costello and the Attractions, San Jose, CA, 1978.

I have a copy of a CD of Pure Pop/Jesus of Cool in my car now, which I listened to today on my way to work.

So I count as a life-long fan.

Big Nick Lowe fan here. Seen him several times, including the short project with "Little Village".

Little Village band was;

John Hiatt - Guitar & Vocals
Nick Lowe - Bass Guitar & Vocals
Jim Keltner - Drums & Percussion
Ry Cooder - Slide Guitar & Vocals

Only one album put out, but a real winner.

Huge Nick Lowe fan. That group of musicians - including Lowe, Elvis Costello, Marshall Crenshaw, Graham Parker and Garland Jefferies - are among my favorites, but other than elvis, they get little love.

Just now seeing that Nick Lowe played a local theater near me (Tarrytown) on Friday and I missed it. It was my wife's birthday and she wouldn't know Nick Lowe at all, unfortunately. Well, So it Goes....

dave - yes, we saw the same show, same wonderful lineup and also played Tower of Strength.

What a superb songwriter, both masterful and prolific. And his vocals have only gotten better.

On top of it all as we remarked several times that night, he just makes it look so effortless.

Just so you JD Mcpherson fans know, he recently filmed a music video for Nick Lowe. I don't know the title off the top of my head but definately worth checking it out. :)

Just so you JD Mcpherson fans know, he recently filmed a music video for Nick Lowe. I don't know the title off the top of my head but definately worth checking it out. :)

– Timothy Mayes

– T_Mayes

Link it, baby!

Register Sign in to join the conversation