Other Amps

Peavey Classic 50

I just picked up a Peavey Classic 50 amp for $225!!!!!

This thing is a great amp. I A/B'd it (this was at a guitar shop but the amp was owned by an employee not the shop) in shop with some Fenders... This amp held its own!

Awesome

I've already had two offers at $425 to sell it!

As I have said, I am "amp ignorant" and I had never heard of these amps before.

When I was in college, Peaveys were a JOKE. Horrible, fizzy, ugly amps that appealed to those with bad taste.

blech...

This thing sounds great AND looks great. It's got that lacquered tweed look.

Love it.

It's apparently an older one, as the newer ones have an effects loop. This bad boy does not.

I'm very pleased, and at $225, for a 50 watt all tube amp... I feel satisfied.

btw, this buggah is HEAVY!!!!

It has two channels. The "clean" channel is exactly that... clean. Nice cleans, not quite the same as a Fender clean (not as shimmery if that means anything), but very warm sounding and metric buttloads of clean headroom.

The dirty channel is AWESOME. And with the pre-post controls, I can get some real dirty crunch even at low volume

It's amazing the stuff you can find out there.

a 50 watt all tube amp that sounds awesome, looks awesome, for $225!

These amps are held in high regard around here - years ago I A/B'd a 30 watt version against my Hot Rod Deluxe and it blew the HR away.

You got a great deal! The horrible, fizzy, ugly ones usually go for that kind of money.

That's a steal. I paid more for my Classic 30.

I too had very little regard for Peavey because of those horrible solid state fizzy metal distortion with chorus things. Even when I still was a metal head I disliked them.

Proteus (the Tru-Arc guy) and Darrel Higham (Imelday May) made me aware of the Peavey classic line.

How's the Reverb ? Some over the years the connections to the Reverb Circuit get oxidised and the Reverb get Faint , its there but not a whole lot of deep reverb . with all the connections cleaned and New Tubes these amps are Great . Sold mine for 500.00 !

Classic 50s are cool amps. I gigged with a Classic 50 212 (the 2 X 12" speakered version), from 1992 till 1994. Great tones. The overdrive is nice. Run a clean boost into the dirt channel, or a dirt box into the clean channel, and it'll do great metal tones. In the band I was in at the time, I played everything from the Jayhawks to Metallica with that amp. They weigh a ton though! The only reason I got rid of my Classic 50, was due to serious GAS for a Mesa Boogie amp. I didn't have the space, or the money for 2, 50 watt amps, so the Peavey was traded for a Mesa Boogie 50 Caliber Mark II. Nowadays, I think the Peavey was a better amp.

WhittleZ - one of the reasons the Classic 50 doesn't sound quite like a Fender is that like the Classic 20, and the Classic 30, it uses EL-84 (aka 6BQ5) power tubes, instead of the 6L6s, or 6V6s, that most classic Fender amps use.

Classic 50s are cool amps. I gigged with a Classic 50 212 (the 2 X 12" speakered version), from 1992 till 1994. Great tones. The overdrive is nice. Run a clean boost into the dirt channel, or a dirt box into the clean channel, and it'll do great metal tones. In the band I was in at the time, I played everything from the Jayhawks to Metallica with that amp. They weigh a ton though! The only reason I got rid of my Classic 50, was due to serious GAS for a Mesa Boogie amp. I didn't have the space, or the money for 2, 50 watt amps, so the Peavey was traded for a Mesa Boogie 50 Caliber Mark II. Nowadays, I think the Peavey was a better amp.

WhittleZ - one of the reasons the Classic 50 doesn't sound quite like a Fender is that like the Classic 20, and the Classic 30, it uses EL-84 (aka 6BQ5) power tubes, instead of the 6L6s, or 6V6s, that most classic Fender amps use.

– EllenGtrGrl

Yea, I was costing out replacement tubes and they caught my eye

The one lacking aspect of this amp is the reverb

It's 'ok' but not Fender quality

And no tremolo

Guy has a twinreverb reissue for sale

I may check it out at least just to hear/feel the difference

I had one about 12 years ago but let it go it as part of sell off to acquire my Duo Jet. I'd love to have one back, but I got the Gretsch I wanted so I don't have remorse THAT bad... :)

And yes, very heavy!!!

Register Sign in to join the conversation