Other Players

New York dolls

I never see any mention of the NY Dolls on this forum, is anyone here a fan? The rhythm guitarist, Sylvain Sylvain, has been almost exclusively a gretsch player since their earliest days, with the odd Gibson here and there.

I love em'. Fantastic Band with some great tunes that flamed out way too early. I concur, its rare that anyone mentions them around here considering he occasionally played a White Falcon in the Band.

Love them. Though I think I prefer Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers. Johannsen's stage personal always seemed a bit too much of a Mick Jagger impersonation.

I agree with both of you. The heartbreakers definitely sounded tougher, but the dolls were more loose rock n roll to me. I like the dolls more in the respect that the rhythm and lead playing have totally different tones. Sylvain's white falcon is almost totally clean whereas thunders has the searing LP junior sound. I saw the reformed lineup like 6 times, and they were awesome! Sylvain was playing a white falcon, black falcon, an all gold 6120ish guitar with Gibson PAFs, and a triple P90 Gibson hollowbody here and there, all through Marshall stacks; the sound was like a locomotive

Love the Dolls. "Personality crisis' is the epitome of Rock'n'Roll to me.

Just for the case you didn't know: When they signed their record deal in the early 70s the band bought new instruments. Thunders as the 1st guitar player got the White Falcon and Sylvain got the famous Les Paul Junior. When they first played together Johnny T. loved the sound of the LP Jr. so much that he took it and gave Sylvain the Falcon. Without asking him, btw.

Thunders is the reason Mick Jones played an LP Junior in the first years of The Clash. Also, Paul Westerberg has been quoted as identifying the Johnny of "Johnny's Gonna Die" alternatively as Johnny Thunders and Johnny B. Goode.

I heard Johnny Thunders first, and instantly became a big fan, then went back and got into the New York Dolls. Built my LP Jr. to look like his, although I don't have a Madonna and Child sticker on it, yet. I agree with Sascha: Personality Crisis is my favorite NYD tune.

Here's the guitar I use when I wanna be Johnny. 1957 Junior. Just out today for a refret. It sounds amazing!!

as was my want in those days, i spent my youthful time roaming around guitar row nyc 48th st

saw a lot of legends there!!!

one day, see old 40's style packard type car pull up in front of one of many guitar shops then on 48th st.. (despite no parking signs everywhere)...and out jumps syl (and others) with white falcon in hand..sans case..nothing..right into store

traded for some other...

i heard the falcon had been trashed tho..airport mishap??..i forget..so he was just unloading it...back then any guitar could be had..and for cheap (relatively)

saw thunders many many times..a fave

maxs kansas city nyc

cheers

just for info

first dolls was produced by todd rundgren!!...he was young and hungry...gave 'em a little edge, but also tightened em up a bit..kept it kinda raw tho

2nd lp- too much too soon was done by legendary old school phil spector type producer...the great shadow morton!!..who did the shangri-las great epic tracks...johnny t (esp) and dave jo were huge girl group shangri-las fans

that 2nd lp was well produced ..tho less edgy

cheers

The Dolls were one of those super influential bands that nobody saw , no one bought their records but launched a thousand new bands..

They were also really funny; Bad Detective comes to mind. Before all the drugs and whatnot took over, they actually sounded really tight and there was more going on musically than one would think. I have an album called "Lipstick Killers Mercer Street Sessions" and its the stripped down early days of the dolls; a little slower, a little cleaner, but really good! You can hear the Gretsch sound

Love the Dolls, JT and all. Saw Johansen with his Harry Smiths years ago it was just what I needed.

Damn y'all. Now I am obssessing about a Les Paul jr.

Damn y'all. Now I am obssessing about a Les Paul jr.

– Strummerson

Haha me too, or just any Les Paul

Aye, love the Dolls but I discovered Thunders first. I have the same TV yellow LP obsession for 25 years but never acted on it. I was listening to Thunders and Wayne Kramer's 'Gang War' album recently - absolutely spectacular rock 'n roll guitar.

Sorry, just noticed that this post has no Gretsch content.

Tubs / Toby, I really hope to meet you one day.

Tubs / Toby, I really hope to meet you one day.

– sascha

Indeed. The first round is on me.

A rare Gretsch sighting on JT

Johnny thunders guitar sounded brutal. Love it

Haha me too, or just any Les Paul

– Chmason85

Gotta have p90s (or just one) though.

Aye, love the Dolls but I discovered Thunders first. I have the same TV yellow LP obsession for 25 years but never acted on it. I was listening to Thunders and Wayne Kramer's 'Gang War' album recently - absolutely spectacular rock 'n roll guitar.

Sorry, just noticed that this post has no Gretsch content.

– Nick45

GreTscH or no, Gang War is indeed an underappreciated kick-ass, take no prisoners rock and roll explosion.

saw gang war a few times...never quite achieved full potential...but a good vehicle for the re-emergence of wayne kramer..after having been away...best i saw them was when iggy pop jumped on stage for some chuck berry cover song encore...reelin n rockin maybe

kramer was hip

cheers

hah- actually found it!!!

Register Sign in to join the conversation