Other Players

Mundell Lowe

His name doesn't seem to crop up all that frequently, but Mundell Lowe was one of my favourite jazz guitarists. I was sad to see that he passed away recently, albeit at the grand old age of 95. His work with Benny Goodman's small groups is well worth a listen and he was just as at home ripping through a Charlie Parker tune. RIP Mr Lowe.

Bouncin' through Billy's Bounce with Louis Stewart.

My condolences to family and friends. He came up to Toronto for a week many moons ago when we still had a couple of real jazz clubs; borrowed my Polytone so I hung out with him a bit at the gig; very nice man. Sorry to hear of his passing, but at 95 he had a good run. Well done Mundell and may you R.I.P.

Even Roy Buchanan cited him as an influence, and someone he admired a lot. They are seen playing together in that 1971 movie.

At one point in the 1950's, Mundell Lowe endorsed Gretsch guitars. I think in the 1956 catalog and in advertisements at the time, he was pictured endorsing a Country Club

At one point in the 1950's, Mundell Lowe endorsed Gretsch guitars. I think in the 1956 catalog and in advertisements at the time, he was pictured endorsing a Country Club

– ewkewk

A face shot on page 7 in the '55 catalog too.

dave k

saddest thing is we recently lost louis stewart too!!

rip mundy

cheers

I saw him here in DC at One Step Down (tiny jazz club) in the mid- to late-1990s, a rare East Coast appearance.

He was wonderful.

An absolutely lovely man. Bless his heart, ninety five years...Rest In Peace, Mundy xx

Register Sign in to join the conversation