Other Players

Morgan Bernard: Kids These Days Indeed!!!

If you haven't gone to Morgan Bernard's site and listened, you should. Talent and class and message: http://morgan-bernard.com/f...

There's lots of negative talk in these pages about 'kids these days.' But there are plenty of creative young people out there with something to say. And contemporary technology enables them to produce and disseminate their art in ways many of us couldn't have dreamed of "back in the good old days."

All this negativity from us old fuddy duddies, though in many cases unintentional, threatens to discourage younger members, the very ones we should encourage and support.

Maybe there should be a specific forum to encourage and support young GreTscH slingers like Morgan. Those who are discouraged about today's youth in general should be particularly motivated to support those involved in positive and creative deployments of GreTscH.

I'll second that, Strum. She seems like a nice young lady, and 'Shame' is a great song. There's a soon-to-be 16 year old in my house who just might be getting that CD for her birthday!

I love it. Go Morgan!

Good words, Strum. The kids are alright.

She is a real talent and this feels like the making of a star. Perhaps the young do need their own forum but I would also add that they need this one as well. We just need to realize how we can help and keep her and others on the right track. Everybody needs a foundation.

Yes indeed. I meant a forum here on the GDP dedicated to young players.

It's insane watching people the same age as you have the talent you're working as hard as you can to get.

She's great!

I can attest to Morgan's kindness and loving heart. Her talent is clear, and her love of GreTscH total. Here's a video she just posted to Gretsch Fans on Facebook from one of her most recent gigs "Morgan Bernard and her band performed : Shame at Aces lives in Brandenton":

http://www.youtube.com/watc...

Edit: BTW for what it's worth, my opinion is that she's precisely where she needs to be, here. After all, as I hear periodically, It's Rock n Roll. She'll do just fine right here, right folks.

I hope that when I have kids, Morgan is on their play list.

Aw, thank you all so much for these nice encouraging words! I love the positivity of this blog!

I was going through old pictures in a box, and what I found explain my obsession with Gretsch Guitars. this one belongs to my dad's friend, it's the 1973 White Falcon that belonged to Cheap Trick's lead guitarist, I was 6 1/2 month old and I couldn't keep my hands away from that beauty....

Nice job Morgan and welcome to the GDP! We occasionally get off topic round here but for the most part we're an ok bunch. Cool photo of that Falcon too.

Also, ask your guitar player if he's a fan of Nigel Tufnel from Spinal Tap. His one solo during the refrain sounded a lot like Nigel's, parts anyway, which is awesome!

Here's a link to it- Nigel's Trademark Solo

I don't think that we old guys discourage the young. We have all welcomed Morgan in other threads and I enjoy playing and listening to Fieldhj' son Dylan "Executive on here" at the roundups. My Bass player is 21 yrs old and started with us when he was 19 as well as my 29 year old guitarist who came on board when he was 19.

Welcome Morgan, just found the link to your site on Gretsch.com. Very nice stuff, great chops!

I don't think that we old guys discourage the young. We have all welcomed Morgan in other threads and I enjoy playing and listening to Fieldhj' son Dylan "Executive on here" at the roundups. My Bass player is 21 yrs old and started with us when he was 19 as well as my 29 year old guitarist who came on board when he was 19.

– Suprdave

– Suprdave

Dunno what to tell you Dave. I constantly see members deriding young people around here. Sometimes it's subtle. Sometimes it's quite direct. I think it's pretty clear that some members on this forum hold young people in general in pretty severe contempt. Even when they recognize talent and hard work in someone young, it's almost always held up as a remarkable departure from the context of their generation. It's not everyone. Maybe not even most. But it's significant.

Not sure I buy that ,Strum, no disrespect meant but I'd like to see an example. Most people around here have each others back, Right Bear?

If you don't see it, you don't see it. I do. And I think it isn't good. And I think we ought to pay more attention.

I'm not going to comb through threads to find you examples, if nothing else because I don't want to call out individuals and get in silly squabbles. I don't think everyone who makes statements that suggest today's youth are inferior realizes that this is the implication. And it would be counterproductive to put anyone on the defensive.

If you don't see the problem and feel like we are hospitable and respectful to kids, then it's not going to be helpful for me to prove to you that it exists. If the food's too salty for me, but it doesn't bother you, then I've nothing to gain in trying to convince you that it's too salty. What's clear is that you are interested in being respectful to and about young people. That's a good thing. I just don't think others are.

But perhaps you might look through some of the threads in the wake of Sandy Hook. Plenty of examples there in my view.

Well, on the Morgan sure is on a roll, topic, she posted to her Facebook account photos of her first big newspaper story in Mirabella. "I'm sooooo proud!!!! first full page in a national paper magazine, sold at Barnes and Noble. Yeah!!!!!"

Way to go Morgan; keep it rollin. (For you Boys who don't know, this is a big d*ned Deal Magazine with Morgan as a feature.) We support and salute you, Morgan.

https://www.facebook.com/ph...

Thank you everybody!!!!!! and don't worry everybody was very helpful, and nice, I'm used to older musicians, they are the best, and they got the knowledge. I worked with 52 to 62 years old guys band in France during my tour in France, they didn't speak English (I understand french but don't speak it) and the experience was extraordinary rich, they went way over all my expectations, I was treated like a star, and I learned so much from all of them. And best of all I had so much fun with them. I learned also that the love of music has no border, the language is the same. But I think I was lucky to have a father that exposed me to all kind of music, from classical, to rockabilly, swing, classic rock, blues,country, pop, and this made me a very open minded person. I love music that "is Music" not noise. In the future, I will post some of my performances for you guys to watch and tell me what to do to make it better. I think also that different generations should collaborate to keep the ball rolling.

Wise beyond your years and have already toured abroad. +1 to ya.

I can dig it! That live clip posted up above (post #11) is way better than anything the bands I was playing in at that age ever accomplished!

Register Sign in to join the conversation