Other Players

Monkees and a 12 string

Has this been covered before? I was just watching the Monkees and saw this. What is it? I know it's a Gretsch.

the most beautiful Gretsch guitar ever made in my opinion. I forget the model Number, but I always wanted one of these.

Karl

I thought it was neat that the back of the head stock is also black.

**This post has been deleted**

Did I read somewhere that Nesmith's Gretsch was a custom job and one of only 2 that were made?

The 6075 and 6076 were production guitars. I do seem to recall there was a custom one-off for Nesmith, but it's too early in the day to recall details.

Baxter wrote:

The 6075 and 6076 were production guitars. I do seem to recall there was a custom one-off for Nesmith, but it's too early in the day to recall details.

yep. it was specially made for him, but it's been so long ago that I don't remember the details either. I'm sure that someone here has the full story.

Wasn't it a Tenny that he had ,and Gretsch put on a 12 string neck for him?

Of course,i could be wrong!

JCHiggy,

That was for the pilot episode. The regular epispdes he used the 12 string 6076. Also a Viking 6 string, and then a Monkees model.

Karl

Brandon02 wrote:

There is also an episode where Davy is holding a 60s Jet Firebird.

That was a one off Jet Firebird Bass?

SJB66 wrote:

JCHiggy,

That was for the pilot episode. The regular epispdes he used the 12 string 6070.

Karl

You mean 6075.... 6070 was the bass, often incorrectly referred to as the Country Gentleman Bass.

A CA luthier built the 12-string neck for the pilot episode Gretsch; according to Nesmith the guitar literally fell apart sometime after that. The natural finish 12 from the series was stolen and, IIRC, never recovered. I think he was given another natural finish 12 not that long ago, maybe post- FMIC. Davey's bass was a one-off 3/4 scale which he ended up using after the series ended and Peter Tork left the band. I can't imagine production models would be very successful but it would be pretty dang cool to see the custom shop do a set of replicas from the series.

The Natural 6076 Mike had that was stolen was a one off, the production models did not have gold hardware. Around 1997 Gretsch ran off 13 Country Classic 12 strings, one was given to Mike who performed at the NAMM show for Gretsch that year. I'm sure he still has it and there is a photo of him in the stuido in the Justus CD with it. The other 12 went to various dealers to see if there was demand for them to make it a regular color. Thats the story as I've heard. A friend of mine had one of the original 13 at Russo's in NJ I think, and I've seen a few show up on ebay in past years. When I was the buyer at Music123 and they re-introduced the 6122-12 I had a run of 24 done in Amber Natural. 2 did not pass inspection. I bought one for myself :-) the other 21 were sold through M123 and WWBW and the last 2 or 3 went through Musicians Friend.

Last year a customer asked our Private Reserve department to get a quote on having one made through the custom shop. They will do it, it's roughly $10,000 street price.

Somewhere out there is a Fullerton Clarksville 12 string in natural with gold HW. It was a one off sample for an import line that never happened. Same basic model as the Eastwood 12. It was sold in a clearance sale at the WWBW store in South Bend.

Register Sign in to join the conversation