Other Players

Modern Fingerstyle Electric

I'd love to find some new records to listen to, instead of the same old Chet tunes again (not that there's anything wrong with that).

I'm looking for fingerstyle players (maybe some chord melody stuff too, but I don't want to get too jazzy) who play electric guitars. Searching for fingerstyle on Spotify brings up plenty of music, but it's all acoustic. There's a lot of good pickers out there, but the acoustic stuff either ends up being too earthy/jammy like Keller Williams, or too damn quaint like Tommy Emmanuel or Leo Kottke. I love John Fahey, but I'd like to find someone who takes his creativity to the electric guitar. I mean no offense to any of those artists (or their fans), they're all better than me. I'm just looking for something new/different. I like to support new artists, and I figured someone here would have the pulse of the fingerstyle community.

I've mentioned my newfound infatuation with Marisa Anderson's work before, but I'll link it again as an example:

Nice stuff. Not necessarily all finger style but have u checked out Jim Campilongo?

There are many electric players who use hybrid picking these days.

For me it is hard to go past Mark Knopfler.

Since Dire Straits Mark has put out a range of stuff with other artists across different genres. He mixes it up with a lot of vocal but there is always some tastey guitar work on any of the albums - generally all electric.

There are many electric players who use hybrid picking these days.

For me it is hard to go past Mark Knopfler.

Since Dire Straits Mark has put out a range of stuff with other artists across different genres. He mixes it up with a lot of vocal but there is always some tastey guitar work on any of the albums - generally all electric.

– Gretschmen65

Lindsey Buckingham also falls into this category-- a phenomenal hybrid picking talent... only thing is, his guitar playing is generally not showcased in his recordings. I'd like to see him release at least one guitar-centric solo album.

Agreed, Mark Knopfler & Jeff Beck were two of the first players who came to my mind.

Bill Frisell is another interesting hybrid picker:

I'm headed to the Chet Atkins Appreciation Society convention this week - and while I'd never call Tommy Emmanuel "quaint", he does pretty much stick to acoustic stuff, since that's his bread and butter...despite being quite the electric player starting out. Anyway, back to CAAS - There's a lot of folks trying to play just like Chet, Merle or Jerry, but there are also other players out there who do electric stuff that's not stuck in one stylistic box. I'll keep an eye out to see if there's anything good and new.

In the meantime, dig up any of Lindsey Buckingham's solo stuff, or even John Mayer - despite being a major douchebag, he's one heck of a fingerstyle player. Doyle Dykes, Derek Trucks, Steve Wariner - they're all strong fingerstyle players on both acoustic and electric.

Good call on Campilongo. He's definitely in the ballpark with atmospheric and creative electric guitar, informed by tradition but not grounded by it. I've always liked his "Heaven is Creepy" album, but I'll admit I haven't kept up with his new stuff in probably a decade. Still a little jazzier than the electrified American primitive I'm picturing in my head, and not stylistically "fingerstyle".

I guess I should be more specific about fingerstyle. I don't just mean people who play with their fingers, but stylistically as well. When I think of fingerstyle guitar, I usually think of playing melody and harmony at once. Like Travis, Atkins, ragtime, country blues and a lot of classical guitar. Mark Knopfler is a phenomenal guitar player who uses his fingers, but I don't think I've ever seen him play this style.

I really think John Fahey was ahead of his time, i just wish he'd been more ahead of his time. Imagine this on a Gretsch with a little grit in the amp and reverb:

That Frisell video was awesome too, thanks!

I fear I'm doing a bad job of explaining what I want, and--at worst--offensively dismissing some really good artists and suggestions, so I'll let the music speak for itself:

I'd like to find some electric guitar music which may be a mix of Marisa Anderson and John Fahey, with perhaps a bit of the avante garde-ness of Campilongo or Frisell, and shades of Neil Young on the Dead Man soundtrack (if I dare be so specific).

Is that more or less confusing?

Yes.

Look into some Hellecasters as well.

I think I kind of know what you mean Otter, you're looking for an evil dark version of electric Merle Travis. Or fingerstyle Marc Ribot with an unhinged Rockabilly twist. Let me know if you find something, because I love the idea!

You got it Walter! Maybe I have to invent it. I've been working on my own simplistic fingerstyle arrangements lately, and looking for inspiration off the beaten path.

Somebody posted this video a while ago, which I think might have sent me down this path:

give it a try to early M. ward albums

Marissa Anderson seems to have such a light touch. I, on the other extreme, have a tendency to put the neck and strings practically in a death grip. I like her playing.

Marissa Anderson seems to have such a light touch. I, on the other extreme, have a tendency to put the neck and strings practically in a death grip. I like her playing.

– Baba Joe

She's pretty talented, isn't she? I've been listening to all of her stuff these last few months. Do check out her album of Traditional and Public Domain Songs. "Keep Your Lamps Trimmed and Burning" definitely doesn't have that same light touch.

Lizard, I'm digging the M Ward stuff, thanks!

Any recommendations for where to start with Johnny A? The stuff I'm finding is a little fusion-y

I quite like Johnny's playing on this blues shuffle, but maybe that's what you mean by fusion:

And something a bit edgier:

No doubt he's an awesome player, but I wouldn't call either of those fingerstyle. Seemed like pretty straight-ahead rock, no?

He's a hybrid picker, using both plectrum & fingers, but I understand what you're saying.

One last try from me . . . perhaps you can create your own new genre, Otter.

Are you familiar with Richard Thompson? Also a hybrid picker. His solo playing is typically on an acoustic guitar, though he plays solid-body electric with a trio, too (though you'd probably find that more like straight-up rock):

Actually I'm really digging the Richard Thompson stuff I'm finding, especially the electric stuff. Thanks for the suggestion

Check out this little You Tube video. His name is Jimmy Olander, and he was the guitar player for the country band Diamond Rio. He's got a B-bender attached to his strap and another attached to his belt buckle, so he's able to do some things mere mortals can't, but ... he's got a funny little smirk on his face as if to say ... hey, watch this, guys!!!
Link

Very nice! Thanks Ed

Maybe a bit different, but Jorma Kaukonen can play a fingerstyle easily assimilated outside of the Blues, which it is easy to pigeon hole him into...

Thumb pick and finger tip picks since the beginning.

https://www.google.com/sear...

Cool! I like the Jorma stuff...ragtime with a twist

Keep em coming guys!

Register Sign in to join the conversation