Other Players

Mike Campbell and Neil Finn to tour with Fleetwood Mac

Does anybody else think it’s weird how deep Stevie Nicks voice has become? I mean, in the “For What It’s Worth” video she sounds like Leon Redbone.

– Powdog

When your net worth reaches over 75 million, it has an effect on your voice. Your vocal range increases from shear confidence.

Dang this thread went on... but for me the Welch//Kirwan overlap albums... Future Games and Bare Trees were best ones. Heroes Hard 2 Find the 3rd best. Saw them on that tour in 74 and no one is going to tell me Welch didnt' have it going on, on guitar -- still sad how Green, Spencer, Kirwan and Welch ended up.

Lindsey Buckingham responds. Sort of.

And then there is this. Ugh. Band sounds good, but couldn't someone else (Neil or Christine) have sung it?

Dig the capo on the Ric.....

Stevie is -perhaps suprisingly- 70 years old this year. I know she smoked up a storm at one time, but don't know if that's still true. However, that and some ample amounts of liquid refreshment over several decades can do it a voice (Lucille Ball is a good example. Listen to her voice in the pre "I Love Lucy" days, then listen to her when she was over 70. Her voice had dropped into baritone range by that time). Stevie's was never really all that high to begin with.

And then there is this. Ugh. Band sounds good, but couldn't someone else (Neil or Christine) have sung it?

– Ric12string

Do they do Crowded House tributes, too?

Do they do Crowded House tributes? Sure do -- Don't Dream It's Over was in the set list. At least they had the right guy to sing it.

A few years back I went to see The Hollies shortly after Allan Clarke had retired. Carl Wayne (ex The Move and a good vocalist) was front man. So we got Flowers In The Rain, Fire Brigade etc mixed in with The Hollies stuff. Now back in the day I quite liked The Move, but y'know, WTF is this all about? Still, they made a good job of it. I look forward to hearing Fleetwood Mac play Always Take The Weather.

Not sure what Campbell is saying but I'm thinking you won't hear that tune again this tour.

Not sure what Campbell is saying but I'm thinking you won't hear that tune again this tour.

– Curt Wilson

It sounded like it was going fine until he spoke to her. Then, she forgot the words and made up her own.

This is how they’re gonna be remembered.

Some people just don’t know when to quit.

I was thinking the same, Troy. Not one of Tom's best song's (IMO) but I understand the connection.

That video with Lindsay is sad. Though the girl shouting is hilarious.

Not sure what Campbell is saying - Curt

"Tom sang it less masculine than you"

"All that aside, I really think Nicks missed her calling-- the timbre and range of her voice is much more suited to country music. I think that if she had pursued that direction, she would have been a star among the ranks of Reba Mcintyre and Martina McBride... you know... in the days before country music almost died completely."

i've always heard Stevie as closer to Dolly Parton than anyone in rock, and i decidedly mean that as a compliment.

Dig the capo on the Ric..... -- Kevin Frye

Yeah, that's odd. They are playing it in the same key (F) that Tom Petty did it in. Tom used to capo at the first fret and play E shaped chords (making it concert pitch of F), but Mike used to play it open without a capo on the 12-string neck of the doubleneck Ferrington. Not sure why he opted to use a capo in this video with Fleetwood Mac.

Do they do Crowded House tributes? Sure do -- Don't Dream It's Over was in the set list. At least they had the right guy to sing it. -- Dave_K

Not sure just how I feel about playing Crowded House or Tom Petty songs. It is cool to briefly pay tribute to Tom given that he died a year ago and was such a presence in the American rock music scene, but I see no reason to play a Crowded House song. (And I say that as a HUGE Crowded House fan.) The audience is going to see Fleetwood Mac and there is no connection between them and this song. Personally, I would like to see them forge a new sound with Mike and Neil in the band -- perhaps even take them in a slightly different direction and make them relevant again.

I don't ask for relevance. I'd settle for interesting.

That would be interesting, though the only songwriters in the band anymore are Campbell and Finn. It would just be the Mike and Neil show with a famous backup band.

Finn does collaborate well. The records done with his brother are my favorites.

The only songwriters? Au contraire.

Stevie Nicks has received 12 BMI million-performance citations, along with 12 BMI Pop Awards, a BMI Urban Award and a BMI Country Award for such hits as "Dreams," "Rhiannon," "Leather and Lace," "Landslide" and "Gypsy," among others. She launched as a solo artist with the release of her five million-selling debut, "Bella Donna," and recently put out the critically acclaimed "In Your Dreams." As a member of Fleetwood Mac, whose "Rumours" album was one of the biggest selling records of all time, Nicks' four-decade career includes induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, multiple Grammy awards and numerous gold and platinum records.

all my favorite B/N era Mac songs are Stevie's. "Landslide" and "Sara" in particular.

Powdog, I would view Christine McVie as a quite capable songwriter, particularly in collaboration. She collaborated on The Chain, and wrote You Make Loving Fun and Don't Stop. I don't know your thoughts on the Buckingham/Nicks era version of the band, but those were certainly respectable songs from a songwriting point of view that had tremendous commercial success.

I would think that either Christine McVie or Stevie Nicks could write well in conjunction with either Mike Campbell or Neil Finn and there should be some good results come from that. I agree with you that Neil Finn collaborates well and am also fond of the songs that he has written with Tim Finn, whether when he was a part of Crowded House or subsequently as simply brothers. But, Finn is also a tremendous writer on his own. I say, turn him loose in this format and see what he comes up with. Add to his melodic sense of songwriting the crazy good playing of Campbell, add in some of McVie's inherent optimism and her harmony vocals, and let Nicks provide whatever she is inclined to add, and I think that there is a recipe for an interesting sound.

Finn and Campbell should make the band "interesting" again, if not relevant.

I’m not sure that the people who listen to or go to FM shows have any interest in new music, they want to hear something familiar and that’s why they paid $300.00 for a ticket.

Why so many keyboard players?

The Chain? Don’t Stop? Rumors? Really?

I’m not arguing about the quality of music written 40 years ago. I’m just debating the probability of anyone in the original band hitting it out of the park with an album of new original songs.

I can’t write a song to save my life. Most people can’t. But I know a good tune when I hear it, and FM hasn’t churned out a great record in 30 years. I totally agree with Curt that this is a nostalgia tour and it will likely generate lots of money. That withstanding, if I were a betting man I would guess Finn and Campbell will exit after this tour wraps up.

FWIW, I think Rumors was a great record. Lots of songwriters brought a lot of new material to the table. But few have the kind of staying power that allow them to write great songs for an entire career.

The Chain? Don’t Stop? Rumors? Really?

I’m not arguing about the quality of music written 40 years ago. I’m just debating the probability of anyone in the original band hitting it out of the park with an album of new original songs. -- Powdog

Those songs were offered in response to the suggestion that Mike Campbell and Neil Finn were the only songwriters in the bunch. Whether you personally like those songs or not (which I can completely understand if you don't and you yearn for the sound of the Peter Green era Mac) isn't really the question. The question is whether Christine McVie and Stevie Nicks can, when working in collaboration with Campbell or Finn, assist in creating interesting or relevant music again.

Those songs were some worthy songs that caught the fancy of many people. Were they incredibly insightful or did they offer commentary on social issues? Most likely not. But, they were good pop songs and, by that time, Fleetwood Mac had obviously morphed into a pop band.

I don't have any argument with the idea that the Buck/Nicks era band may have caught lightning in a bottle with their songs and that that creative fortune may never return again. On the other hand, sometimes when a band changes up the personnel, there is some corresponding impact upon the level of creative juices. New sounds. New approaches. New ways of writing. Maybe when McNicks begin to work with the new guys, they are able to write some good new material, whether by themselves or in collaboration with some or all of the other bandmates. That was all I was saying.

And the thought had occurred to me as well that this could be a final tour for the entire band, including Mike and Neil. But, I do recall hearing an interview with Neil where he said that he was approaching this as if it were a new band for him rather than a one off. We will see.

NOW they have some new music material.

Register Sign in to join the conversation