Other Players

Mike Campbell and Neil Finn to tour with Fleetwood Mac

Rolling Stone is reporting That Fleetwood Mac has fired Lindsey Buckingham, and Mike Campbell and Neil Finn will take his place on their upcoming tour.

Despite his obvious talent, Buckihgam came over in interviews and various stories as kind of a jerk. Nothing new here... I had this opinion 40 years ago. In '87 he quit-- this time got the boot.

And there was that recent tour with Christine McVie...

Well I guess they decided not to bring back Green/Spencer/Kirwan.... but those were good replacement choices. Even Dave Mason was in Mac for a while.

Mike Campbell and Neil Finn are two of my all-time favorites. The Heartbreakers and Crowded House influences will make Fleetwood Mac a lot more interesting to listen to. On the other hand, I find it somewhat difficult to believe that either would be interested in playing in the modern Fleetwood Mac iteration.

Seems sad, tho. Buckingham has been with the band since '74, and is responsible for much of the band's sound since then. Considering the group's tumultuous history, I've always been surprised that they've held I together as long as they had. Fewer folks know of the earlier incarnations of the band. The one constant has been Mick Fleetwood and John MacVie--- one of the best rhythm sections in rock and roll. I can easily understand why Campbell and Finn would join up. Good luck to all of ''em.

I'd go and see them. Peter Green did Mick and John a huge favour when he called 'his' band Fleetwood Mac.

I think Mike and Neil are missing a huge opportunity by not calling themselves The Housebreakers.

I hope that they write some new tunes because the combination could be amazing. Although I'd love to hear Campbell's take on some Crowded House tunes.

Don't Dream It's Over will be totally gorgeous.

i saw a tweet yesterday that said "i look at it more as Fleetwood Mac joining Neil Finn."

I still find this hard to believe and to be honest I'm not sure if I'd like to see existing Neil Finn tunes played by the band. Let's see if this will happen at all.

Without any insight: It says a lot when it takes two people to replace you.

Mike Campbell can easily fill the shoes, I think adding Neil Finn is an attempt to widen the possibilities.

I love the band with Lindsey and the sound wont be the same without him. However, between meeting him to seeing him in interviews I have to say he is a real pain in the ass. Hey, maybe this is a chance for a spark that will really work... great musicians joining a legendary group. It’s got to be pretty good!

My favorite Fleetwood Mac material came from when they where really heavy in the blues. Pre ‘70s line-up.

The pre '70's Fleetwood Mac was a whole 'nother thing. Peter Green, before the mental illness and drugs did took their toll was amazing.

I've been watching Mike Campbell since my college days when the "Damn The Torpedoes" tour hit Chico State, (lost a good cowboy hat that night)...... The connection here goes way back to the early 80's with Petty and Stevie Nicks with "Stop dragging my Heart around", a duet between the two, with Campbell of course on Guitars. Neil Finn is another huge talent. I too enjoyed FM much more in their earliest incarnation, although I definitely would give this lineup a look.

Neil Finn has to be one of the most underrated guitarists ever, and you wouldn't know it until you see him play live because material doesn't showcase chops.

I'm looking forward to the interplay between all these guys and gals. It might be a fantastic pairing, Mike & Neil with Fleetwood Mac.

It's Show Business...That's a Big Show!

Mike knows how to play "Oh, Well" as well as anybody...

I really like the old Fleetwood Mac, great stuff.

Neil Finn has to be one of the most underrated guitarists ever, and you wouldn't know it until you see him play live because material doesn't showcase chops.

I'm looking forward to the interplay between all these guys and gals. It might be a fantastic pairing, Mike & Neil with Fleetwood Mac.

– crowbone

There is an obvious connection between Mike Campbell and Stevie Nicks from her days of wanting to become a member of the Heartbreakers. Ironic that now Mike has become a member of Fleetwood Mac.

I agree that the guitar interplay between Mike and Neil could prove to be very interesting. I too like Neil's playing, but mostly I value his songwriting talents. If he takes an active role in the songwriting, this could be a very interesting lineup to watch.

"The Show Must Go On" and people do what they must do.

With some bands, there's a history of drama. This line up promises some fine entertainment, but is FM still really FM?

Fleetwood Mac is supposed to have two or more guitarists. In its legitimate incarnations, it always did - and the interaction between them (generally subtle, fluid, and masterful) gave the band all the layers and dimension it lost before its commercial soap opera glory days.

Peter Green, Danny Kirwan, Jeremy Spencer, Bob Welch, Bob Weston...all much more interesting (and entertaining) guitarists than LB. I've never recognized John and Mick backing Buckingham-Nicks as Fleetwood Mac. It's been 40 years of blandification (with some interesting moments).

This infusion of classic talent could put some starch back in the old Corvette. I'll certainly be interested to listen.

Do we still have Christine? Can Stevie stay out of the way?

Proteus, since when have you been down on commercially appealing music, merely because it has commercial appeal? You call it their commercial soap opera glory days. Yet, they did create some highly listenable pop/rock music. My guess is that, if the Peter Green incarnation of Fleetwood Mac did not exist, you would probably have no problem with the McVie/Nicks/Buckingham iteration, even if not your favorite band.

And, no, I don't think that Stevie will stay out of the way at all. She is a huge part of the appeal of that band. All the guys remember her back in HER glory days and she was, indeed, memorable. But, her vocals are part of FM's vocal sound. And she is close friends with Mike Campbell. So, I think that we can count on her remaining an integral part of the band and its overall sound.

I think that this band is likely to take on a more rock and roll sound to it. Lindsey Buckingham had a definite style, but, if you didn't like his style, then the guitar playing in the band was pretty objectionable. But, with both Campbell and Finn, things will definitely rock. But, rock melodically rather than simple wanging just to be wanging, if ya know what I mean.

As Buckingham and Nicks were always a unit, it was hard for me to tell what I didn't like about that incarnation of Buckingham Nicks Fleetwood & Mac. I probably shouldn't have impugned Stevie, and I apologize. I occasionally haven’t minded her voice, I appreciate the sentiment behind her fey swirling mystic wild child persona (though I find it a bit contrived) - and obviously she's a crucial part of that configuration.

I certainly don't like her better than Christine Perfect McVie, who is all earth to Stevie’s sky - but then it isn't a contest and I'm glad there are two strong women in the band.

It will be my chance to see if LB was what made that band not work for me. (Though, of course, they'll be playing material from the BN era, so it won't be a very thorough test.)

And, so far as it goes, I don't dislike LB as a player.

Must be the material.

I'm not down on commercially appealing music because it's commercially appealing; there are buckets of very commercial bands you'll never hear me denigrate.

But had there never been a Peter Green Fleetwood Mac (and, more to the point, never a Spencer-Kirwan-Welch Fleetwood Mac) - that is, had my first earful of the band been "Rhiannon" - I don't think I'd have any opinion of FM at all. I'd know of them, but I would have ignored them.

And, while I think Peter Green may have been the best electric blues lead player, of any race, like ever, it's not the early purely blues Fleetwood Mac that most impressed me. I came in at "Oh Well" - a song which still stands mountain-tall in my estimation - which was at the tail end of the Green regime. I consider the middle era string of albums (Future Games - Bare Trees - Mystery to Me - Penguin) to be as rich and rewarding a run of consecutive outings as any band has ever had. All are textured and nuanced, albeit unassuming, and it can take many listens to tease apart all the layers and appreciate the taste and skill and melodicism present at every turn. But if you wanted the short course in why FM mattered to me, it's Bare Trees and Mystery to Me.

You'll have to forgive me if I found Buckingham & Nicks Inc's offerings to be pretty pale after that music. My dismissal of the B-N era has nothing to do with how hard either of the incarnations "rock." If anything, B-N era FM could have more focus and edge. Contrariwise, I miss the sprawling and spacious musical landscapes of the middle period. And most of it is ridiculously and conspicuously pleasant. You might take the opportunity to re-listen to that middle-era material and see if you don't find it rich and engaging.

Danny Kirwan is one of the greatest little known, early forgotten, and perennially overlooked players/writers/singers of the rock era - and he's had a tragic post-Mac history. Spencer and Welch aren't far off that mark. It's always seemed a shame to me that those guys who kept FM alive for the four years it took before the B-N connection finally made a commercial success of Fleetwood & Mac are now so overlooked.

Lots of people who came in at Buckingham-Nicks have some vague awareness there was a guy named Peter Green who wrote "Black Magic Woman," but have little or no knowledge of the middle era. (It also galls me that B-N's first outing as the front end of the band was given the Fleetwood Mac title - which had also been the title of the band's REAL first album in 1968 - as though the previous NINE albums had never happened.)

It's been pretty thankless - even tragic - to play guitar in Fleetwood Mac. Green & Kirwan checked out for decades with serious drug issues followed by homelessness, careers and productivity in shambles. Ill and in constant pain, Bob Welch committed suicide in 2012. Bob Weston, around for only 1-1/2 albums but notably the Mackian who initiated the tradition of affairs with a member's wife (Mick's wife Jenny, oh-so-appropriately the sister of Pattie Boyd-Harrison-Clapton), had little musical career afterward before dying at 64 of a gastrointestinal hemorrhage. Only Jeremy Spencer seems to have emerged unscathed: after quitting the band to join a religious organization, he's had a seemingly productive life and still plays a bit of music.

Out of all that sad history, maybe the saddest note of all is that the two Bobs were singled out by the all-powerful (and inscrutable) RRHOF committee to be OMITTED from FM's induction - again, just as if they'd never existed. Tut tut shameful.

I trust that Campbell and Finn are beyond the age at which the Fleetwood Mac guitarist curse can infect them.

I have to agree wholeheartedly with Proteus on Peter Green, I saw him twice back in the day with FM, when that Guy got going He was definitely tapping into something else entirely, and He could really sing as well. Have to agree on Danny Kirwan as well, especially in the company of PG and Jeremy Spencer as well with Fleetwood on drums , those Guys put on a hell of a show. I was in College when the Buckingham-Nicks version came along, i don't mind that Mick kept it going, Buckingham-Nicks were on the verge of becoming famous as well, and Green and Kirwan went ahhh.... away for a time. I dug some of Buckingham's stuff, he is a talented Musician, but I honestly always thought of the new lineup as "FM lite", but some of it was enjoyable, I remember girlfriends of mine REALLY liking it. I actually liked some of Bob Welch's stuff too around the second lineup of FM. All in all, its nice to see Mick still out there, He always had a unique style of drumming and rhythms. But the original lineup was definitely my favorite.

Proteus wrote:

"And, while I think Peter Green may have been the best electric blues lead player, of any race, like ever, ..."

No less an authority than B.B. King said of Green, "He has the sweetest tone I ever heard; he was the only one who gave me the cold sweats."

On re-reading, I see my appreciation of FM gave short shrift to Christine McVie, which was an unintentional by-product of focusing on the guitars.

I consider her absolutely crucial to the alchemy of that middle period. Surely not coincidentally, she first appeared on Future Games, and her keyboard textures provide both foil and context for the layered guitar orchestrations going on around them. I rarely see her credited as an "important" rock keyboardist - and, ok, she's more texture and pad than hot licks - but her piano, electric piano, and organ work are all worthy of study in how to contribute what's needed.

Add to which her rich contralto voice - and her always-melodic songwriting - and she begins to look like part of the glue which has held the band together for decades, obviously through the middle period but into Bucknix as well. With Johnbass and Mickdrums, she's at the heart of the rhythm section, making it easy for guitarists to shine or merely glow as it suited them - they rarely had to carry the harmonic load because she's always there.

I guess it's hard to consider anyone in the corporate FM "underrated" - because duh - but she was often overshadowed (particularly in the 70s) by Stevie's comparative glamour and seduction, kinda the "quiet one". She's too rarely recognized for the extent of her gifts, and the depth of her contribution to the band. It's always like "and oh yeah, Christine" (and see, I've just done it AGAIN). It's not fair.

If this was Ginger and Maryanne, we know which is which - and, to be consistent, I always preferred Christine (and Maryanne). She's a mensch(ess?) in my book.

Register Sign in to join the conversation