Other Players

Mick Jagger to have heart surgery

Rolling stone has confirmed Mick Jagger to have heart valve replacement surgery in NY on Friday.

CBS News reports that his prognosis is excellent and recovery time reasonably quick.

He must be having the Transcatheter (TAVI) procedure, substantially less recovery time.

Good Luck Mick!

Good luck Mick, prayers and best wishes.

What a drag it is gettin' old!

It's strange that this occurred when it did. I had just recently started learning a couple Stones tunes and had just decided to concentrate on a few more when this news broke.

I hope it enables them to continue to tour because they absolutely live and love to do just that. I saw them on the European Urban Jungle Tour in 1990 in Germany. The stage and effects were unbelievable. We were about 60 feet from the stage (standing unfortunately). The stadium was packed! And there was a significant tremor that we all felt from a far away earthquake that day.

The opening song was "Start Me Up." On the first note, fire flew up from dozens of steel pipes lined up in front of the stage. It was wild! The crowd pushed back about 30 feet at that point. I could actually feel the heat.

I realized then why Mick is so thin. He must have burned 5,000 calories running around. He did use the elevator a couple times on stage (they had a three-story set-up on stage) but most of the time he was just running and jumping around. LOL! And Keith with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth or stuck on his guitar head the whole time. They are characters!

Have always wanted to see them again.

Get well soon Mick!

Keith had said that Mick runs the equivalent of 10 miles per show. A workout for anyone regardless of age. It’s surely a factor now. Get well soon.

Let's all hope they never break, never break, never break never breeeeeeaaak .... That heart of (Rolling) Stone.

Get well soon, Mick!

Really, when all is said and done, he's the most iconic rock lead singer there ever was. He practically defined the role, after Elvis, I suppose.

I've only seen the Stones three times (and Keith Richards twice w/ the X-Pensive Winos). Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge, and then again in the early 2000s. Big outdoor show in Moncton, NB. I just went for the party, because i went to high school there and one of my buddies lives just down the road from the concert site. I didn't expect as much from the Stones, being 10 years after I had seen them last, but they were actually BETTER! It was a fantastic show.

The sound was perfect and clear, and I was amazed as I watched Jagger – I think it was "Let's Spend the Night Together" - as he jogged from one extreme wing of the stage, to centre stage, then all the way to the other extreme wing, and then back to centre stage again – all while singing! I couldn't even do that when I was 25!

He must be having the Transcatheter (TAVI) procedure, substantially less recovery time.

Good Luck Mick!

– Twangmeisternyc

My Mom-in-Law had precisely the same procedure done in January! Came through with flying colors, too!

She'll be thrilled to know she has something in common with Mick!

Or perhaps not. Her favorite musician is still Lawrence Welk. Never misses one of his shows on PBS.

Going to see my mom today because she needs the same! Curling and lawn bowling is awful hard on the ticker

Keef, who does not run 10 miles a day and drinks whiskey for breakfast and smokes three packs a day, does not need heart surgery.

all while singing!

Well...while vocalizing in a pattern of generally recognizable pitches.

Keef, who does not run 10 miles a day and drinks whiskey for breakfast and smokes three packs a day, does not need heart surgery.

Yeah! I expect the difference in "outcomes" has as much to do with how each feller mentally manages stress (and their inherent susceptibility to it in the first place) as with genetics or lifestyle.

Well Keef is immune to everything, right?

Keef is living life for quality, not quantity. The upside: he's already embalmed.

I sometimes wonder which is less - the number of grains of sand in the world or the number of cigarettes Keef has smoked. But seriously, Mick’s cardiovascular system must be pretty amazing to do what he does.

all while singing!

Well...while vocalizing in a pattern of generally recognizable pitches.

Yeah! I expect the difference in "outcomes" has as much to do with how each feller mentally manages stress (and their inherent susceptibility to it in the first place) as with genetics or lifestyle.

– Proteus

Now, now. Don't be taking the mick out of Mick. Especially sick Mick.*

Call it what you want, or as Dylan called it "tonal breath control." Call it caterwauling, for all I care (love that word) - point is, he was expelling breath from his lungs, regardless of subjective appraisals of said breath's tonal or musical qualities.

*Somewhere, as we speak, an indie band is being formed, called Sick Mick.

One of the UK tabloid newspapers carried the story with a photograph of a few medical folks, with the headline "Sir Mick to undergo surgery - let's mend the knight together!"

Register Sign in to join the conversation