Other Players

Met Dave Wakeling last night

I saw the English Beat(Or, just the Beat in the UK) last night. In the States Dave Wakeling does the touring, and in the UK Ranking Roger handles it. They've been a favorite of mine since the 80's, and it was good to finally say Hi to him, and satisfy my own little ska fanboy trip.

Dave has been playing Voxes since the band's inception.

20170305_225645

Congrats - also a fan of this great band!

Saw them in Toronto last year. Great show.

Love love love the English Beat. Hard to figure why I've never seen them live yet. I better put it on the Bucket List!

It sure is hard to find other fans of ska. When I use that word, people just look at me blankly.

I saw them at the Tower Theater in the early '80's, their first time around. I don't know how I'd feel about seeing them with Dave but not Ranking Roger (or vice-versa). I don't recall that he played guitar at that show, but I'm not sure.

Big fan of the Beat & General Public & Fine Young Cannibals too. My favorite DW story:

Back in time:

Dig the Vox.

Note how in the above video the guys who formed FYT awkwardly dance about on stage like they did on this video. Nice Duo Sonic:

Also a Fan, nothing better to get your feet moving than seeing the English Beat live. That horn section man....

Saw them many times in the 80's. The English Beat had a big following in Philly. Always good crowds for them at the Chesnut Cabaret. I even saw them in the ballroom of a hotel in South Jersey that was having concerts (can't recall the name)....an all girl band we never heard of opened for them called The Go Gos

great voice and so many good songs!

Saw them on the Special Beat Service tour, supported by Bow Wow Wow and Jah Wobble and the Invaders of the Heart. One of the greatest shows ever.

Dave Wakeling is one of the great lyricists of modern music. Yes, I put him up there with John Lennon, Elvis Costello, Morrissey, Paul Weller, Chrissie Hynde.

Wakeling never gets any renown for his remarkable lyrics. The sad truth is that If Wakeling didn't possess boyish good looks (in other words if he looked like Elvis Costello) Wakeling would in fact be considered one of our great lyricists.

I love ClickClickClick

he is a great lyricist.

The line in I Confess .

I confess that I've ruined three lives. Did not care 'til I found out that one of them was mine

Saw them many times in the 80's. The English Beat had a big following in Philly. Always good crowds for them at the Chesnut Cabaret. I even saw them in the ballroom of a hotel in South Jersey that was having concerts (can't recall the name)....an all girl band we never heard of opened for them called The Go Gos

– Gretschadelphia

We must've been at the same places at the same time for many shows, as I saw them there at the tower(later with General Public, too), and it was the Halloran Plaza Ballroom where a string of new wave bands played before it became disc makers.

I love ClickClickClick

he is a great lyricist.

The line in I Confess .

I confess that I've ruined three lives. Did not care 'til I found out that one of them was mine

– eCastro

Yeah, "I Confess" is a masterclass in songwriting.

The line you quoted - "I confess that I've ruined three lives. Did not care 'til I found out that one of them was mine" - there's nothing poetic or florid about it, it is simply a perfectly written statement of human feeling.

I particularly like the clever line "did too much of both types of whining." Took me a bit to realize what Wakeling meant by "both types"...whining and wining (drinking). Wakeling does that a lot with his lyrics...offers these clever little turns of a phrase.

Yep..it's the awful realisation of how selfish his actions were and the subsequent confession. and the both types of whining is classic Wakeling.

Plus, it's got a good beat and you can dance to it.

Wow. I just worked out what the song is about! Brilliant \

Register Sign in to join the conversation