Other Players

Marco Pirroni Gretsch Player

Early punk scene guitarist Marco Pirroni played Adam Ant's White Falcon which is formerly Brian Setzer's Falcon as seen in the Stray Cat Strut Video, but did you know he played a Jet with DeArmonds? I never saw this until now even though I was a fan back then. I suspect he copied Billy Zoom in this case.

I like Ant's white ES-175/ES295. Wonder if he bought that off of The Clash's Mick Jones or that's a different one?

Early punk scene guitarist Marco Pirroni played Adam Ant's White Falcon which is formerly Brian Setzer's Falcon as seen in the Stray Cat Strut Video, but did you know he played a Jet with DeArmonds? I never saw this until now even though I was a fan back then. I suspect he copied Billy Zoom in this case.

– ThePolecats

Did he play that tune with the leather gloves on?

I like Ant's white ES-175/ES295. Wonder if he bought that off of The Clash's Mick Jones or that's a different one?

– ThePolecats

Always known Mick Jones to be a Les Paul guy, with an occasional Strat thrown in,(Straight to Hell).He currently plays a Tele from what Ive seen, Never seen him with anything else.

He used a 175 in the London Calling video. I read somewhere that it got messed up in the rain cruising down the Thames in the rain. Not sure if that part is true or not..

Did he play that tune with the leather gloves on?

– crowbone

Yeah air guitar!

Gary is correct the guitar is in the "London Calling" video. Was it a refin of an ES-295/ES-175 or a custom paint job on an ES-175?

I can say it's a 1953. Even though it's been some time, about the early '90s I saw a book on The Clash and a picture of Mick Jones with that guitar and he is quoted to say, well I can't quote it but he said something to the effect it's a 1953 and he remarked it's 2 years older than him as he was born in 1955. So I know he owned that guitar, he was not just borrowing it or renting it for the video. And I think he remarked it was an ES-175 rather than a refin ES-295 but I am not completely positive as it's been years since I saw that. But that's what I think he said it being an ES-175 but no mention of refin or custom order since he obviously was not the original owner since he was -2 years old when that was made. I am sure though of it being a 1953 because my memory is clear on that fact.

Since many musicians by and sell to other musicians such as the case of Brian Setzer selling his White Falcon to Adam Ant, I suspect maybe Adam bought that ES-175 in white from Mick Jones or maybe it's just an entirely different guitar.

But Manny you are correct he's mostly or was mostly a Les Paul and an occasional Strat player. I see him now with a Tele. I think the Les Pauls are a bit heavy for him now so he's on with a Tele. I guess he can go with a Strat too still.

Edit - Actually looked at both videos and Adam's has a Bigsby and Mick Jones' does not so it's probably a different guitar unless a Bigsby was added later but somehow I doubt that.

Always known Mick Jones to be a Les Paul guy, with an occasional Strat thrown in,(Straight to Hell).He currently plays a Tele from what Ive seen, Never seen him with anything else.

– LA_Manny

He played the very interesting Bond guitar while he was part of B.A.D.

After the B.A.D thing of the mid '80s to early 90s, Mick Jones has said that in the '90s he stayed away from music. I think it was only until about 10 years ago he started showing up more in the music scene but I don't think too seriously.

Lallapolooza tried to get The Clash to reform. They offered them a large sum of money to reform but Jones and Strummer from what I understand said that if they were going to reform it was not going to be because of a music festival but because they want to on their own. I think the offer was $10,000,000. That's 10 Million US Dollars. I liked that they did that even though a reunion was never to be. It showed they wanted to do things on their own terms without the temptation of a big pay day at a festival. I think if they reformed they would have made tons money anyway but on their terms. Of course Strummer had a heart attack and died shortly thereafter. Would they have reformed or not had he lived? Who knows? I tend to think so. Now The Smiths is another story of course :). LOL. Never but then again who said never say never?

By the way, here is Adam Ant at Live Aid. You can see Marlon Brando, uh, I mean Marco Pirroni playing what he usually would play and that's a Les Paul Special with single P90 in bridge of course. I suspect the Silver Jet was just for the other TV appearance because it looks cool but his normal tool of the trades are Les Paul Jr and Specials.

Register Sign in to join the conversation