Other Players

What’s the story with Cliff Gallup?

I really like a wide variety of music and out of the original Rock and Roll guys, his playing stood out to me as something special. I read he played a lot of that stuff off the cuff, which is amazing to me. What a talent!

So I've heard he left Gene Vincent's band cause he didn't like being on the road and wend back home and became a janitor at the local high school. and he didn't want to be know for his work with Gene Vincent.

I didn't even know until recently that he recorded a solo album (pretty damn good too).

So what's the real story? Is that it?

His daughter mentioned he stopped touring with Gene Vincent because she was born and he wanted to be home to raise her.

And while it seems odd for a legend to drop out of what would later be recognized as a legendary string of classic guitar works, it probably wasn't a bad call for him. It seems unlikely that a few more yards as a sideman would have led anywhere. I bet he never regretted staying with his family.

There's an interview in an old edition of Guitar Player from '83 and he just did not seem to understand what all the fuss about him was about. The interviewer mentioned that some "hot" English guitarists (Clapton, Page, Beck) idolized his work and he really knew little about them. He retired as the head of maintenance for the local school district (IIRC) and he really did want to stay home and raise his daughter; the road seemed too chaotic and he was content to play to locals. And we still haven't found his Duo Jet. Cliff Gallup Interview.

I bought this 6 album compilation from Gene Vincent and one thing that is very clear by listening to it is that when Cliff disappears from the group so does whatever they had (je ne sais quoi) that made them stand out.

I keep reading he wasn't a janitor ---that was just the myth... it was a better building maintenance job, something mechanical. Still he made the right call dropping out when ihe did. The road kills...

Can't fault a guy for wanting to be with this family. And as brief as his musical career was, he left an everlasting mark on music, and continues to inspire players.

"Something mechanical " ...that makes sense, didn't he build his own echo boxes?

You have to keep in mind the Gene Vincent's music - with or without Cliff - wasn't even a blip on the music radar of the time, much like the Johnny Burnette Rock & Roll trio. If the choice is between being constantly on the road or working a 40 hour a week job and spending time with your family, then I'd say he made the right choice.

I actually love that he dropped out of the band, which I think lends to his incredible story. He changed guitar playing as we all know it, and was humble and showed us an amazing amount of integrity. He deserves a lot more credit then he gets. His playing is so inspiring.

To be fair, Be Bop A Lula was certainly not a blip, it was a Top Ten record that was covered by a number of hit artists, including The Everly Brothers and John Lennon. Three others made the Billboard chart to a lesser degree.

I have a great Cliff Gallup related story, but it will take forever to write on my iPad. So, when I get to the laptop, it's a good'un.

To be fair, Be Bop A Lula was certainly not a blip, it was a Top Ten record that was covered by a number of hit artists, including The Everly Brothers and John Lennon. Three others made the Billboard chart to a lesser degree.

I have a great Cliff Gallup related story, but it will take forever to write on my iPad. So, when I get to the laptop, it's a good'un.

– Deed Eddy

I'm ready to read it!

I bought this 6 album compilation from Gene Vincent and one thing that is very clear by listening to it is that when Cliff disappears from the group so does whatever they had (je ne sais quoi) that made them stand out.

– BuddyHollywood

I have that same box set. Totally disagree. Different sound but still a major contribution to early Rock and Roll.

Maybe he left cause Gene kept yelln stuff over his solos.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am on pins and needles awaiting Deed's story!

I have that same box set. Totally disagree. Different sound but still a major contribution to early Rock and Roll.

– Bluecap

There are a lot of good songs after Cliff left too but I like every song Cliff played on.

Suffice it to say that the word pancake definitely plays a part in my grand tale that shall be forthcoming.

Having to wait for Deed's story is a real Cliff hanger.

Suffice it to say that the word pancake definitely plays a part in my grand tale that shall be forthcoming.

– Deed Eddy

Deed, are you trying to syrup-titiously garner interest in your tale? And let's have no waffling on this issue!

Pancake is what Cliff called his Duo Jet.

Maybe he left cause Gene kept yelln stuff over his solos.

– eCastro

Lol that made me laugh... i can picture a satire version of that happening :)

All this talk made me start learning Race with the Devil. So far I've got the verse down and going to work on the first solo. Some players just resonate with me and he's one of them. His playing shows good taste and I appreciate that. So far it's sounding real nice on my 5422 :)

Please don't pressure Ms. Deed, I'm sure she's galluping to her laptop as I type.

I know something amazing about Cliff and his guitar that I'd like to share with everyone

He actually gave it away. To Hank Marvin in the early 60's.

I know something amazing about Cliff and his guitar that I'd like to share with everyone

He actually gave it away. To Hank Marvin in the early 60's.

Good try, Vince. Wrong Cliff.

Yep C-O-Matc he does have an amazing sense of what to play,,,

i reckon scotty moore does too. the guitar lines are just so melodic and important to the track.

but elvis didnt do so much yelling over scotty's solos as gene did :-p... surely someone else has noticed this while trying to work out his solos

Register Sign in to join the conversation