Other Players

Limitless and Unbounded

This could be posted in Amps too, or Other Guitars.

But it’ll do here.

You may not always like the tone or the style, blah blah. Don’t matter.

Imagine having the chops, the ear, the feel, the imagination, the musical knowledge, the freedom of the fretboard, to erupt nonstop like this, with a wide open pipeline from wherever it is this kind of voodoo comes from, and without a hint of a stumble...

Dazzling and boggling. And. It. Never. Runs out.

If you’ve ever held a guitar, this will be well worth your time. (Ignore the intro. Give it a few minutes...)

That right there is the dog's balls

Exactly my thought, but he beat me to it.

Oi!

Wholly moley. Worth every minute.

He's the funnest noodler I've ever heard. I downloaded 3 of his cd's awhile back and he was somehow not as fun. Don't get me wrong, a monster player, but it was just not doing it for me.

The amp sounds great.

I love Greg, and his youtube videos, but to be honest, have always had a hard time listening to his albums... they are... too fatiguing, or something.

BUT....

You guys HAVE to check out his new album, "Toby Arrives" by the Koch-Marshall Trio. It's an organ trio: guitar, B3, drums (Greg's kid is on drums)

It's one of my new favorite albums. All instrumental. It came out a few months ago, self-released. I have one. But then he got a record deal for it, so he had to stop selling it so the record co could officially release it..... not sure if it's out (again) yet or not?

Buy it. You won't be sorry.

And I want that amp.

I listened to those vids, and.....I dunno. It seems like he goes balls to the wall constantly, which for me gets fatiguing. Guess cause I was born to R&R, but love the rootsy stuff the most.I wish he would soften up occasionally and get some clean chicken pick'in going along with a little jazz and Chet thrown in for good measure. He can certainly do that and more. It would really open it up for me. But nitpicking aside, he is truly a monster of a player. Got monster hands to prove it!

I notice when watching his demo videos that pretty much most guitars he plays sound very similar when he plays them...except for a Telecaster! How ironic. He gets the best sound out of his Telecaster.

I listened to those vids, and.....I dunno. It seems like he goes balls to the wall constantly, which for me gets fatiguing. Guess cause I was born to R&R, but love the rootsy stuff the most.I wish he would soften up occasionally and get some clean chicken pick'in going along with a little jazz and Chet thrown in for good measure. He can certainly do that and more. It would really open it up for me. But nitpicking aside, he is truly a monster of a player. Got monster hands to prove it!

– Opie

That IS his soft stuff.

THIS is his balls-to-the-wall stuff:

Funny, he's like a more rock, less "that's just not human!!!" version of Danny Gatton. About the same ADHD level though!

Not all that impressed with that amp though, seems like it's a little farty on the bottom, and that's too many damn knobs on that thing!

Well he's much better technically than I'll ever aspire too, but admittedly I kept fast forwarding to find something listenable. It's like a musical run on sentence on crack! I liked it when he played clean.The amp sounded good that way too. I found the distorted sounds and playing sounded pretty generic.

That IS his soft stuff.

THIS is his balls-to-the-wall stuff:

– ruger9

Fun stuff when your in the mood for it. I still think a little ritalin laced Jack Daniels would do wonders for the boy

"Funny, he's like a more rock, less "that's just not human!!!" version of Danny Gatton. About the same ADHD level though!"

Who can also play like Chet.

It's like he's a master-of-all-trades, but only technically.... meaning, while he's got some cool tunes (which really just start out as jams), he's not a "songwriter" so much... less melody, more flash. But his flash is impressive! And I've always liked the HUMOR in his playing, not many people these days have humor in their playing...

Not to make this thread about Greg Koch even more about Greg Koch - but here’s a great interview that gets behind the boister, bluster, and brouhaha (though the quick wit is always there) to explore Greg’s roots.

Lots for most of us to identify with and chuckle about here. It’s long though. It is long. I’ll admit it’s long. Did I mention?

Register Sign in to join the conversation