Other Players

kool George story

Detailed account of George's trip to Illinois in 1963. One factually inaccuracy where it states he got the Rick 425 to match Lennon's 425 when of course it was a 325. Also states the 425 was used on I want to hold your hand... (?)

Still some fun detail here for George people, like me. Also note Fender reverb unit in one pix.

Link

Very cool! I can't tell you how many times I've camped out at Garden of the Gods in Illinois. It's just an hour or so from home and a very cool place to see.

It is generally agree upon by Beatle geeks that the 425 was indeed used on I Want to Hold Your Hand.

The quibble I have is with the claim that he paid $400 and could have gotten it for half that back home. First of all, he probably couldn't have gotten a 425 at all in England, and if he found one, it would certainly cost a lot more than it did in Illinois. Secondly, $400 would have been an absurd amount for a 425. I don't know what it listed for in 1963, but the oldest price list I have is from 1971 and even then it was only $239.

Yep, nice piece. I'd heard of the visit many times, it's nice to get some detail.

It's odd that the Smithsonian would permit the factual errors in the guitar specs; I'm surprised they wouldn't have run a Beatle story by a Beatle nerd. It doesn't even take the deepest depths of nerdery to catch the guitar error.

Hard times in journalism.

Great story, guitar inaccuracies notwithstanding. I remember seeing copies of Louise' album in the early '70's.

It is generally agree upon by Beatle geeks that the 425 was indeed used on I Want to Hold Your Hand.

The quibble I have is with the claim that he paid $400 and could have gotten it for half that back home. First of all, he probably couldn't have gotten a 425 at all in England, and if he found one, it would certainly cost a lot more than it did in Illinois. Secondly, $400 would have been an absurd amount for a 425. I don't know what it listed for in 1963, but the oldest price list I have is from 1971 and even then it was only $239.

– Afire

You could be right on all counts. At some point he had the 425 changed to 2 pickups I think pix show.

I am sure memories by those still around could be hazy on details.

Hey if the 950 (my current Rick crush) shows up in the 71 price list, what was its price. .

Gonna lay off that LP Jr. 3/4 and hold out for a 950

The guy out of The Four Vests ,Kenny Welch also played a 1962 Fireglo 360 O.S. 6 string Rick ,that George tried to buy.

Here's a pic taken from the book by Jim Kirkpatrick: "Before He Was Fab, George Harrison's First American Visit"

http://www.rickresource.com...

I liked the article. Thanks for posting.

Register Sign in to join the conversation