Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Interesting UPDATE: 1958 Corsair Fullbody to Cutaway Transition

No Affiliation With Sellers.

This is a rare sight: a 1958 6014 with a fullbody and humpblocks at #27035 and it's slightly "younger" sibling #27033 with a cutaway and thumbnails -- that being the "real" 1958 model.

Edit: go to post 9 for update.

Very interesting differences with the S/N's so close together. Neither guitar is considered collectable really, and a good candidate to upgrade to a pair of DeArmonds, usual controls and a Bigsby, but you'd have to get one for super cheap or you'd never get your money out back out of it. And to give it some pizazz, please.........refinish either as an aged blonde or nice colorful shade. Tobacco's are so vanilla and boring!

I'll need to check my database (I'm out at the moment)... but this is the kind thing that I love finding. It's catching the evolution of this model in mid-transition, and helps us narrow down the model year change almost to the exact guitar!

EDIT: my previous "earliest" cutaway 6014 was at serial number 27058, so this helps narrow it down. This could be the first of the '58 model year Corsairs.

I thought that the cutaway has the older serial # was interesting; the "office gals" who put on the serial # labels that Dan Duffy described probably grabbed what was closest to them.

Nice guitars, both of them. $700 is a good deal too. $1400 is not.

I thought that the cutaway has the older serial # was interesting; the "office gals" who put on the serial # labels that Dan Duffy described probably grabbed what was closest to them.

– lx

It is not unusual to see these feature changes out of serial # sequence for exactly the reason lx provides. The best example of this is the fact the famous 6120 that Brian Setzer played in the 80's was serial #33024, and it has a deep ('59 spec) body, whereas #33022 is the earliest of the shallower ('60 spec) bodies that I've documented. Setzer's 6120 may well be the very last 2.75" example to have come off the line.

Does anyone know what scale length this era of corsairs were?

All the acoustics were 25.5". I tried a flattop Folksinging model a few years back and that seemed closer to 25", but all the acoustic archtops are 25.5".

UPDATE:

No Affiliation With Seller.

To further corroborate and elaborate on what Ed said: a 1958 full body Corsair just popped up at #27051. Note that it has thumbnails with that full body; the one I first posted had humpblocks. We not only have serial #'s out of sequence but features too. And if I'm not mistaken, the thumbnail boards are ebony; the humpblocks are on rosewood. More Gretschy fun! Priced at $595. I really want to see one with humpblocks and a cutaway. Will the real 1958 model please stand up? (Homage to Jay Scott...)

Register Sign in to join the conversation