Other Players

Johnny Marr’s Bonkers 9-pickup Fender Stratocaster

Man that's a lotta magnetism going on! And to think I have always rejected the 3 HB equipped LP's!

Meh. Looks ridiculous, much ado about nothing, IMO. Just something different and extreme for difference's and extreme's sake.

Didn’t Nigel Tufnel do this already? I do love Johnny Marr though..:

i can see that actually being useful in a studio context, but i'd lose my mind trying to dial it in live.

It has 9 pickups but only 21 frets. I have nothing against 21 fret Fenders but I feel if you're going to go over the top at least add the 22nd fret.

That is one machine you should have a licence for before attempting to operate!

Meh. Looks ridiculous, much ado about nothing, IMO. Just something different and extreme for difference's and extreme's sake.

– ruger9

Certainly unnecessary, but I couldn't categorically say that it doesn't do something useful. What that would be, I have no idea.

Just because Ya CAN do something, dosn't mean Ya SHOULD it! Redundant and probably just eye candy!

It's pretty cool, with all the switches. It piques my interest, to say the least. I tried to look a little deeper into what they all do, but that information doesn't seem to be available yet. Still, is it practical or just a gimmick? I'm thinking it's somewhere in between. I think that you could accomplish much the same with less hardware, though we wouldn't be talking about it right now if it had just four pickups. Would we?

I think it’s hilarious, kinda like his answer to Rick Nielsen’s five-neck guitar. I really love Johnny Marr—he’s an amazing musician.

I'm all about crazy setups, and that's about the best one I could see for a strat LOL

not that unfathomable...9 pickups with 9 on-off switches and 9 phase switches...brian mays og guitar has similar switching....just multiply by 3! hah...

most difficult part is where to strum the bo diddley beat chords with all those pups in the way!!!....

in the end, nothing's ever gonna beat the classic phasey strat 2 pickup sound...anything more just diminishes

cheers

in the end, nothing's ever gonna beat the classic phasey strat 2 pickup sound...anything more just diminishes

It's all about the magical pickup 3 plus 8 position, isn't it. :)

Too bad there wasn't room for ten, eh?

Too bad there wasn't room for ten, eh?

– Suprdave

And if you look closely, not really room for 9... that last pickup appears to be resting on the bridge plate.

Maybe he wanted a middle pickup option .

I think it perfectly accomplishes its task...it gets people's attention.

not that unfathomable...9 pickups with 9 on-off switches and 9 phase switches...brian mays og guitar has similar switching....just multiply by 3! hah...

most difficult part is where to strum the bo diddley beat chords with all those pups in the way!!!....

cheers

– neatone

I'm partial to the Strat 4 quack over the Strat 2 quack.

I have a friend, can’t mention his name, he says this is how them UFO’s get off the ground. 3 is the magic number….

3x3 =

well you do the math! it’s why them UFO’s make that warbaly sound as they first take off. Takes awhile to get it all humming in unison.

I think it perfectly accomplishes its task...it gets people's attention.

– charlie chitlins

Exactly! haha

Register Sign in to join the conversation