Other Players

John Oates (Yup, that John Oates) and mighty fine folk-blues pickin’.

I had no idea John Oates ventured into this fine art of finger pickin' but I was driving and listening to the Sirius XM B.B. King Bluesville station and heard some gruff singing and catchy acoustic picking. The song was "Spike Driver Blues" and it really caught my ear.

I looked at who the artist and was happily surprised. I had no idea he ventured into this genre but he released a folk/roots/blues album last year titled "Arkansas".

Enjoy this live performance of "Stagolee". The song also is on the album.... 6th track. Happy listening!

When Oates tours, Guthrie Trapp is his guitar player, Nashville session cat. If you aren't familiar with Guthrie, you should definitely check him out... his style is quite diverse... he is NOT just another chicken picker. His influence include blues, cuban, samba, bluegrass, it's a really cool gumbo. He's one of my all-time favorites.

His 1st album, Pick Peace, is the one to get.

Here's a sample:

In their earliest days H&O really had pretty diverse influences, even going back to acoustic folk, but also Philadelphia soul stuff. Of course they found an award winning, mega selling sound in the 80s that I really liked.

I had no idea John Oates ventured into this fine art of finger pickin' but I was driving and listening to the Sirius XM B.B. King Bluesville station and heard some gruff singing and catchy acoustic picking. The song was "Spike Driver Blues" and it really caught my ear.

I looked at who the artist and was happily surprised. I had no idea he ventured into this genre but he released a folk/roots/blues album last year titled "Arkansas".

Enjoy this live performance of "Stagolee". The song also is on the album.... 6th track. Happy listening!

– NJDevil

This is a great listen. Thanks so much for posting this.

Some great stuff this morning. Thanks. I love that country-blues fingerpicking with a story. Did Hall and Oates always farm out the studio guitar work to G. E. Smith (whom I also always dug)?

Just to mention that Guthrie Trapp has great teaching videos on his YouTube channel. Amazing player.

When Oates tours, Guthrie Trapp is his guitar player, Nashville session cat. If you aren't familiar with Guthrie, you should definitely check him out... his style is quite diverse... he is NOT just another chicken picker. His influence include blues, cuban, samba, bluegrass, it's a really cool gumbo. He's one of my all-time favorites.

His 1st album, Pick Peace, is the one to get.

Here's a sample:

– ruger9

That was really cool. Great trio. Those guys RAWK!

Wow -- this is all fun listening stuff!! Thanks, NJDevil, (the rest of you) for sharing. This will likely cost me some coins.......

Cool stuff there,thanks for sharing!

Wow, I am certainly happy I posted this and everyone enjoyed it and Ruger providing with this gem named Guthrie Trapp!!!! It's kind of become a law of physics/universe/grooviness that if Ruger likes some tune or some player then I will too. Nice input from Deed also as I love discovering a new player that I will have excitement listening to.......kind of like being here with the all-star Gretsch Page trio of Higham, Pigat, and Bogen! And quite a few others with tons of talent one will find in the Your Tunes section.

Great comments too as DCBirdman reminded me there was a pre "Maneater" Hall & Oates era.

Troy - I know G.E. Smith was with them for a while but he's had a hell of a career. I saw him with Buddy Guy at Irving Plaza in NYC back in the mid '90s.

I liked back in the 80s their Top 40 pop songs. Still do. Their guitarist G.E Smith was great on those songs. Previously he played for Bowie, and after he played for Saturday Night Live.

" It's kind of become a law of physics/universe/grooviness that if Ruger likes some tune or some player then I will too. "

Ditto!!! Brothers from another mother!

As for GE, I know he TOURED extensively with H&O, I have no idea if he was on the records?

Register Sign in to join the conversation