Miscellaneous Rumbles

RIP James Best

HICKORY, N.C., April 6, 2015—James Best, the actor best known for his portrayal of bumbling yet endearing Sheriff Rosco P. Coltrane on TV’s “The Dukes of Hazzard,” died at 9:28 p.m. ET Monday after a brief illness and complications of pneumonia. He was 88.

Sad news. I grew up with the Dukes of Hazzard.

Dukes of Hazard was always a favorite. As an adult, had a great time at the DOH museum in Nashville. RIP, Mr. Best. You gave us a lot of laughs! Now he can walk ol' Flash again....

Pretty sad. Lots of good memories as a little kid watching the Dukes of Hazzard with my grandparents on Friday nights. I still watch reruns quite a bit. Just a fun show - and Roscoe P. Coltrane was one of our favorites.

He started acting in 1950, did lots of Twilight Zones. Best had a long history in acting, and taught a lot of people as well.

I remember him from about 2 decades before Dukes (well, not directly - I saw it in reruns) as a guest star in some episodes of the Andy Griffith Show. He played a Mayberry boy with guitar skills who hitches his wagon to a band that's traveling through town. I'm pretty sure there was another episode where he comes back home.

Sad news, for sure. The car and the Duke boys might have been the main attraction (or for a lot of us, Daisy was), but Boss Hogg and Roscoe were the funniest part. Excellent actors, both of them. RIP, Mr. Best.

Great obituary - link in Ratrod's opening post. What an interesting and full life he had.

Even though he will be remembered by most as Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane, his stint on "The Dukes" is only a drop in the bucket in his acting career.

While he did a lot of bit parts in westerns, his Twilight Zone episodes were amazing... also had a short rockabilly/country singing career as well.

Register Sign in to join the conversation