Other Players

Joe Bonamassa Is A Gretsch Player

Maybe not very known as a Gretsch player here he is with Gretsch. He owns a few. don't know if he plays one live in concert or keeps and plays them at home.

That white falcon looks to have the FSU on the wrong side of the bridge?

Seems to be more of a Gretsch owner. He didn't even play it.

Was that even his? It had had tags hanging from the headstock! Is he related to Danny Bonaduce??

Joe has made some public statements dissing Gretsch, so I'd be surprised if he plays one in public. Even before that, I never really warmed to his playing. Yeah, he's got some chops, but his stuff doesn't take me anywhere I haven't already been or make me feel anything new and wonderful.

I watched a thing with him and Brian Setzer playing together. The Joe fella had about 25 amps on stage and Brian Setzer had one. Brian Setzer would do his Brian Setzer thing at a decent volume for a couple of 12 bars(because guess what?? they were playing the blues!!) and then Joe played a hugely loud endless guitar solo. I think I got bored and had to stop watching. I'd never heard of him before and it kind of left me thinking he was a bit of a wanker. He certainly doesn't sound thrilled with Gretsch guitars in this interview.

Joe has made some public statements dissing Gretsch, so I'd be surprised if he plays one in public. Even before that, I never really warmed to his playing. Yeah, he's got some chops, but his stuff doesn't take me anywhere I haven't already been or make me feel anything new and wonderful.

– Parabar

Yea. It's called boring.

I am not a Joe Bonamassa fan but thought he was at least a home Gretsch player since he bought a few. The one in hand is not his. He was just visiting Norm's.

I'm not against his playing but just not into his playing. In fact I never heard of him until a couple years ago until I was driving on the 10 Freeway in thru about Baldwin Park (CA) and saw some billboard for him doing a show at Morongo. Then I saw him on TV doing some concert or something. Maybe Guitar Center, you know they have that show where a guitarist does a show at the Vintage Room at GC Hollywood.

Joe B is such a geek/nerd but he sure can play and seems like a nice guy.

Im going with fjb.... Fancy Joe ....

The elevator blues guy said only Fender and Gibson are worth playing. Now that Gretsch is fmc, is that any different? He still has no soul.

The elevator blues guy said only Fender and Gibson are worth playing. Now that Gretsch is fmc, is that any different? He still has no soul.

– Dennyhummel

What's an elevator blues guy?

I guess Joe B. is a Gretsch holder as some of you pointed out rather than a Gretsch player. I just figured he owns a few so why would he if he disliked them. Thought maybe if not on stage maybe he played them at home.

I remember a time when people dissed Gretsch but now they are well respected.

Have to give thumbs up to Billy Zoom, Brian Setzer, Poison Ivy, Matthew Ashman, as well as others who played Gretsch when they were not popular or well respected. These players brought Gretsch to the forefront of guitar again.

Matthew Ashman brought my attention to Gretsch and spiked my interest in getting one, then Billy Zoom and Setzer reinforced my desire to get Gretsch.

Joe B. is of that old school thought that Gretsch aren't so great.

Poor Joe wants to be a blues god (he even calls him self "The Blues Rock Titan") and he completely misses the point.

The point of the blues is NOT loud endless guitar solos that contain flashy licks copied meticulously from other players.

When he "jammed" with Clapton at RAH, Clapton seemed to walk off the stage in disgust at what turned into a showdown of volume fast flashy licks. Joe proclaimed on the mic "That's the coolest thing I've ever done!!".

Well, I didn't see Clapton rush up to the mic and say that. LOL

So, there's this... Categorizing his collection, Bonamassa says, “It’s mostly Gibsons and Fenders. But one guitar I have that has been so valuable in studio sessions is a ’58 Cadillac green Gretsch Country Club that’s really rockin’. I’ve got flatwound strings on it, naturally.”

Also, to be fair, what little I've heard of his work with Beth Hart was tasteful.

All this talk about Bonamassa makes me want to go to one of his shows. I might just do that.

i like Joe. He's a great player for sure! Like him or not he has his own sound, he's no SRV / Hendrix copy for sure. I have a couple of his CD's. i like them... that said, they never seam to hold my attention for very long.

I like watching his gear vids. I'm not familiar with his work but will have to check out.

However, i'm not a big fan of guitar solos unless they are really short. Other than Feel a Whole Lot Better-The Byrds. Love that solo

i don't like long drawn out solos... other than Sweet Child o mine... that builds nicely!

You shook me all night long is pretty well perfect for a solo!

I love a drawn out solo as long as it's in the context of a great song. Writing a melody around a guitar solo rarely works. Joe has a big 'ol bag of licks, he just can't write a song that has great hooks and sticks in your head. Love him or not, I can't hum or tap out a single one of his tunes.

Muzak is probably sending him offers.

So, there's this... Categorizing his collection, Bonamassa says, “It’s mostly Gibsons and Fenders. But one guitar I have that has been so valuable in studio sessions is a ’58 Cadillac green Gretsch Country Club that’s really rockin’. I’ve got flatwound strings on it, naturally.”

– Deed Eddy

Period incorrect Bigsby on his Country Club. As he is the vintage geek he is that surprises me. Just sayin'.

What I'd really like to say is:

Joe Bonamassa Is A Gretsch Player

No, he is not. I do own a used fishing rod. That doesn't make me a fisherman.

Register Sign in to join the conversation