Other Players

Jimmy Capps is gone.

Truly sad news. Here he's playing with the Hot Club of Cowtown at Larry's Country Diner accompanying the haunting vocals of Elana. This is how guitar should be played as an accompanying instrument to vocals.

Very sorry to hear this. Fantastic player. He was a fixture with the Opry (over 60 years!). I'd always look for him in any performance i could see from there. Great posting btw, Windsordave.
RIP Mr. Capps.

Here's a nice interview from a little over a year ago. Some cool history and guitar discussion in this.

I wasn't familiar with his name but noticed him when channel surfing and stopped by Larry's Country Diner. Who was this terrifically, smooth guitar player, I wondered. What a legacy.

He had a biography out also, with a who's who of everyone he had played with. Sorry to hear of his passing, and special condolences to his wife and family, who adored hime (and vice versa). He was a terrific player and person.

The epitome of crystal clear tone and accompaniment. Jimmy on a Les Paul Custom.......exactly how it was designed to sound, on "Foggy Mountain Breakdown."

It’s just too sad. You can see what a beautiful guy Jimmy was by the smile that was perpetually on his face. He has been such an important part of the Nashville music community that it is hard to grasp that he won’t be at the next event, or awards gathering, or hanging out at the next Nashville Cats gathering. He and his sweet wife, Michelle, were so obviously crazy about each other it breaks my heart to imagine how she's feeling today.

Duane's comments from yesterday...“ This sad news hits so hard. Jimmy Capps will always be remembered as one of Nashville's greatest. His choices of what to play were always perfect. Our hearts break for his sweet wife Michelle and we send her all our love and prayers.”

photo taken backstage at The Country Music Hall of Fame induction ceremony, 2015. Buddy Miller, Mandy Barnett, Duane, Jimmy Capps.

He was one of my favorite people, he knew what to play and when to play it! He was all about making the artist sound their best!

Register Sign in to join the conversation