Other Players

Jack Pearson and his 80 pawn shop Squier

Jack Pearson is a monster, and when he went on the road with the Allman Bros...his main guitar was an $80 Squier Strat he got at a pawn shop. Since he's been on my radar...I've been on this quest to set up and get good tones out of cheap guitars.

Jack Pearson...you're welcome.

I've seen him,and he's the real deal. He can play anything in any style. As they say ,it's the player. High $ gits are nice,but hardly necessary.

Proving once again that the sound is definitely partially in the hands of player... awesome.

Jack Pearson is a monster, and when he went on the road with the Allman Bros...his main guitar was an $80 Squier Strat he got at a pawn shop. Since he's been on my radar...I've been on this quest to set up and get good tones out of cheap guitars.

Jack Pearson...you're welcome.

– shane kislack

Superdave, when did you get a wig?

I've seen him,and he's the real deal. He can play anything in any style. As they say ,it's the player. High $ gits are nice,but hardly necessary.

– Opie

Yes he is

I like players like him who put it together from the ground up, musically speaking that is. He mentions that he likes light and resonant guitars; 100% on that too.

I had a buddy who I used to jam with and go to his local gigs, and I never saw him play anything but a Squier Strat. I never saw him when he was on the road with Foreigner, Hall and Oates, Peter Frampton, Robert Plant, etc...so maybe he played some other guitars; but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he played his Squier. It wasn't a case of a great player who could somehow wring great tones out of a crappy guitar...I've owned/played some early examples that were REALLY good. I had a beauty that I traded for a '61 Supro Dual-Tone many years ago...I wish I still had the Squier because it was excellent, but not if I'd have to give back the Dual-Tone which has been with me for about 35 years and has escaped my revolving gear door longer than any other.

Green On Red's Chuck Prophet has spent most of his career on an '84 Squier Tele

Chuck Prophet has been in my top ten favorites for the last 30 years, seen him at least a dozen times. He's a real treasure that nobody seems to have heard of. Plus ,like Jack, is a super nice guy when you meet him,as is Stefanie his wife/keyboard player.

That was GREAT!!! What a cool dude!

– Daniel Weldon

Search him on youtube...you'll be amazed at how he can switch from blues to jazz to classic rock... all equally well. Really down to earth cool dude too. I bought a $75 pawn shop strat and dropped in one of those cheap loaded pickguards because of him. I can't play like that, but we can be inspired...

No wig, John....you just haven't seen me in a while.

Many 80's MIJ Squier Teles are not exactly "cheap" guitars except that they were much more reasonably priced than USA made Fenders. Specifically, the Squier JV Series Teles and Strats, which were made in the Fuji Gen factory had beautiful build quality and were reputed to utilize actual NOS Fender USA parts, including pickups. That being said, no question these great players can kill on budget models and it's also refreshing to see.

Register Sign in to join the conversation