Other Players

It’s Been A Tough Year …

... and it isn't over yet. Some of the more familiar names along with their ages at the time of their death

Prince: 57
David Bowie: 69
Glenn Frey: 67
Merle Haggard: 79
Natalie Cole: 65
Leonard Cohen: 82
Maurice White: 74
Paul Kantner: 74
Lemmy: 70 (technically died on the last day of 2015)
Frank Sinatra, Jr. 72
Keith Emmerson 71
Dale "Buffin" Griffin 67
Pete Huttlinger 54
Billy Paul 81
George Martin 90
James Woolley 49
Denise Matthews (Vanity) 57
Jean Shepard 82
Bobby Vee 73

Let's hope for a cheerier 2017.

and just 2 weeks ago, Leon Russell. I knew all the names except Huttlinger and Wooley

Maybe I'm just a miserable bastard but every year seems like a tough. year.

Best Year I can remember is 1984. school jr football accident. in a coma for most of it but a lot less painful than most

Al Caiola and Norton records/A-Bones/Kicks Magazine's Billy Miller

The great Lonnie Mac died in April age 74

I need a date stamp on my bathroom mirror just to check if I'm still here.

I nearly added myself.

Scotty Moore

Bap Kennedy

Sharon Jones, 60

My Mom, in October. Tough year indeed.

Unfortunately it's only going to accelerate as pretty much every 60s era musician is currently over 65, with many in their 70s.

"Hope I die before I get old!" - R. Daltrey (age 72)

RIP to them all.

(Just yesterday the world's oldest living person celebrated her 118th birthday, last person alive who was born in the 19th century. She attributes her long life to eating three raw eggs every day and being single.)

All due respect to all those wonderful people, I lost my best friend- my 1st dog- this year. My only soulmate besides my wife. Believe it or not, it was worse than losing my dad some 20 years ago (he was 73, and was ready to go). He was like my son, as we have no children. Every year, from here on out, is going to be "tough" I fear... we're getting older, our parents and relatives are getting older, and father time is catching up with us.... the older you get, the more funerals you attend. It sucks.

Sorry, not trying to be a downer, just trying to deal with reality. Finding the joy in EVERYday life is the answer. Every. Single. Day. Tell those you love that you do, hug them often. Enjoy them. Nothing lasts forever. Have memories to fill your heart after they've gone.

All due respect to all those wonderful people, I lost my best friend- my 1st dog- this year. My only soulmate besides my wife. Believe it or not, it was worse than losing my dad some 20 years ago (he was 73, and was ready to go). He was like my son, as we have no children. Every year, from here on out, is going to be "tough" I fear... we're getting older, our parents and relatives are getting older, and father time is catching up with us.... the older you get, the more funerals you attend. It sucks.

Sorry, not trying to be a downer, just trying to deal with reality. Finding the joy in EVERYday life is the answer. Every. Single. Day. Tell those you love that you do, hug them often. Enjoy them. Nothing lasts forever. Have memories to fill your heart after they've gone.

– ruger9

So sorry Ruger9. one of the hardest things to go through. Pets are there to greet us every time we arrive home. Share so much with them and then they go. Makes it harder that the grief not recognised by many and you're just expected to turn up to work and keep going

– ruger9

From losing my godfather and uncle (my uncle Richard) back in January to Ruger losing his dog(which I know the pain is equally brutal), I have taken an approach that mirrors Ruger's exceptionally expressed sentiments on this thread.

It is such sound wisdom and advice that I find his words above very comforting. Nice job Ruger for being able to put into words how the mind and heart should proceed with the dawn of every new day.....very inspiring and promising.

And Ruger's taste in music and knowledge of P90s ain't too shabby either!!!

NJD, we HAVE to figure a way to get together at one of these Roundups... we need to jam and talk!

The last few years have been very tough for me. I hate to say it, but I'm really ready for the next step. Don't misconstrue this, I have no intentions of hurrying along the process.

NJD, we HAVE to figure a way to get together at one of these Roundups... we need to jam and talk!

– ruger9

Definitely! Plus we'll convince everyone to play the majority of the time using just the neck pickup!!

Register Sign in to join the conversation