Other Players

…It Was 50 Years Ago Today…..”

OK, I know it is supposed to read "..20 years ago...."

HOWEVER -- it WAS 50 years ago today (Sept. 6, 1968) that Eric Clapton went into the studio and recorded (IMO) one of the all-time best guitar solos -- "While My Guitar Gently Weeps".

https://www.guitarworld.com...

I've always adored that guitar part! I remember thinking "gee, George is really getting good" (no disrespect intended), then finding out it was Eric Clapton who played it. What an iconic piece of work, and such a beautiful song written by George Harrison. Sadly, Paul and John dominated the Beatles, in the songs writing department. It would have been great to hear more of George's songs, while he was in the Beatles. George was my favorite Beatle, I bought almost all of his post Beatles albums. His death hit me very hard, I remember thinking "first John and now George", it was a very sad day.

The downslope started when they came back from their March 1968 trip to India. Started the ill-fated Apple company, John and Yoko become an item, etc. and White Album is pretty tense all the way thru. Then it was really just another year until this time of year in 1969, finishing Abbey Road, was the last time they collaborated.

Cream had already decided to break up so EC was biding time but played great stuff live and in the studio and some of it was on George's song.

I felt the early George songs... You Like Me Too Much, Think for Yourself, etc. were excellent but never get mentioned.

I felt the early George songs... You Like Me Too Much, Think for Yourself, etc. were excellent but never get mentioned.

Add to that "If I Needed Some One."

....and add to that, "Something In The Way She Moves" - a song described by no less an icon than Frank Sinatra, who not only recorded it but described it on more than one occasions as "the greatest love song ever written" - high praise indeed, from someone who was associated with several of the world's finest song writers.

One of my favorites. I agree with Wade H. I read somewhere that George Martin later asked George if he could forgive him for not recognizing him as much as he deserved.

Add to that "If I Needed Some One."

– Jim Krause

Probably my all time favorite Beatle/George tune.

One of George's "overlooked" songs, and a favorite of mine....."Long, Long, Long."

"I Want To Tell You" also deserves mention.

I think his first song, "Don't Bother Me" is great!

Register Sign in to join the conversation