Other Players

Imelda May Heads In A New Direction

Folks, do you realize you are now comparing Imelda May...to Michelangelo!?!

My comparisons were Dylan to Michael Jordan. An apt comparison. Let's keep some sanity here, folks.

– Spiritwalker

Michelangelo and Leonardo da Vinci to be precise.

The comparison of someone in the physical arts to someone in the musical arts makes more sense than comparing someone in the musical arts to a retired star of one sport who decided to try another sport.

People were upset when Rick Nelson wanted to grow into new musical areas. Like Pope Francis said, "Who am I to judge?"

I guess Elvis should have stuck with Rock, eh?

I guess Elvis should have stuck with Rock, eh?

– Suprdave

Well, yes!

Well, yes!

– BuddyHollywood

Of course we all wish to grow as people. I used to be intolerant of others' ideas. No longer. I have grown.

But the idea presented here that Imelda May is on a personal growth journey is flat out absurd and ridiculous.

– Spiritwalker

It would be naive to think that professional musicians don't consider the potential audience impact when making decisions about their music and image. However, do you really find the idea absurd that getting divorced from your writing and performing partner of more than 15 years might lead to personal growth which is expressed in your music?

As far as this performance is concerned, it was for a New Year's Eve television special which Jools Holland presents every year which includes his Rhythm and Blues Big Band (hence the dress and the band). If you knew her earlier music you would also know that she sang extensively for Blue Harlem (a London based jump blues and swing band) and with Mike Sanchez. This particular piece is not a wild departure from the music she sang in that earlier period.

This thread is awesome! some truly revealing facts about some of our our members!! a bunch of people pissing on someones musical choices (please forgive me to all the defenders on the thread) while they sit at home in front of their computers and not out there trying to make a living in possibly the most difficult industry in the world. hell, probably not even trying to create or play their own music (be it actual composition or arranging songs that are distinctly theirs) Hell, if she wants to perform EDM who gives a crap? her career, her music. I'm not saying i like it, but i'm not gonna put her down for doing whatever she wants to do. Haven't any of you gotten bored with something you've done for a long period of time? Change is good for the soul and if she wants to go the "Country-Vegas" (sorry Tavo, i can't remember the exact term you used bit i actually laughed out loud when i read it, it will stay in my vocabulary!!) then who cares? you don't like it? you don't buy it. And the whole Dylan as a Judas argument is a load of crap. its called evolution (don't get me started on the other side of that argument!!!) and i think a few good things came out of him going electric can't we agree?. I guess we can crucify Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis etc for going country after their brief stint as Rockabilly/Rock n Roll artists.

It would be naive to think that professional musicians don't consider the potential audience impact when making decisions about their music and image. However, do you really find the idea absurd that getting divorced from your writing and performing partner of more than 15 years might lead to personal growth which is expressed in your music?

As far as this performance is concerned, it was for a New Year's Eve television special which Jools Holland presents every year which includes his Rhythm and Blues Big Band (hence the dress and the band). If you knew her earlier music you would also know that she sang extensively for Blue Harlem (a London based jump blues and swing band) and with Mike Sanchez. This particular piece is not a wild departure from the music she sang in that earlier period.

– MrTickle

I don't think we should delve into Darrel and Imelda's personal life, should we? I mean, who knows why they separated. Whatever the reason, it's none of our business.

Good points, Paul.

And it's Nash-Vegas, I believe.

YES!! Nash-Vegas!!!!!! I love that term!!

You go, Paul! I couldn't agree more. The first thing I thought of when I saw the direction this thread was going was this: If the Beatles taught me anything, it is how to evolve, how important it is to not stagnate. If you want to hear mop-tops, listen to the first few records. If you want to hear what we're up to now, here's our new record.

There have been some nutty (and entertaining) things written in this thread, but this is by far the nuttiest:

a bunch of people pissing on someones musical choices while they sit at home in front of their computers and not out there trying to make a living in possibly the most difficult industry in the world.

So, in other words, you are laying down the law that no one is allowed to say "Hey, that song is great" or "Hey, that's a bad song" unless they are professional musicians. Wow.

Must be terrible to be you. How do you watch and judge a movie? (Are you a professional filmmaker?) How do you watch and critique a sporting event? (Are you a professional athlete?) How do you say, "Nice automobile?" (Do you manufacture cars?) How do you say, "These eggs are terrible." (Are you a chicken?)

Wow, I never knew that I can't dislike a Jon Bon Jovi song because I am not a professional musician.

There have been some nutty (and entertaining) things written in this thread, but this is by far the nuttiest:

a bunch of people pissing on someones musical choices while they sit at home in front of their computers and not out there trying to make a living in possibly the most difficult industry in the world.

So, in other words, you are laying down the law that no one is allowed to say "Hey, that song is great" or "Hey, that's a bad song" unless they are professional musicians. Wow.

Must be terrible to be you. How do you watch and judge a movie? (Are you a professional filmmaker?) How do you watch and critique a sporting event? (Are you a professional athlete?) How do you say, "Nice automobile?" (Do you manufacture cars?) How do you say, "These eggs are terrible." (Are you a chicken?)

Wow, I never knew that I can't dislike a Jon Bon Jovi song because I am not a professional musician.

– Spiritwalker

Actually the nuttiest thing said in this thread now by far is "These eggs are terrible." (Are you a chicken?) That cracked me up!

I enjoy listening to imelda. She can sing anything she wants,i will listen.

I don't think we should delve into Darrel and Imelda's personal life, should we? I mean, who knows why they separated. Whatever the reason, it's none of our business.

– Suprdave

I agree, I wasn't meaning to infer anything about the reasons for their split, just saying that a separation is a pretty major life changing event and as such I don't find it absurd to posit that it may have had an effect on her new album.

OK, I did the rockabilly chick thing, now I'll do torch song singing...next I'll do punk? - SpiritWalker

I'm looking forward to her Punk record. when she belts it out, there's a real Wanda-esque quality to her voice.

In fact, when they both toured together, they wound up doing a duet at the Troc in Philly, and it was great, especially seeing Imelda about to jump out of her skin because she got to sing with Wanda Jackson.

This thread is awesome! some truly revealing facts about some of our our members!! a bunch of people pissing on someones musical choices (please forgive me to all the defenders on the thread) while they sit at home in front of their computers and not out there trying to make a living in possibly the most difficult industry in the world. hell, probably not even trying to create or play their own music (be it actual composition or arranging songs that are distinctly theirs) Hell, if she wants to perform EDM who gives a crap? her career, her music. I'm not saying i like it, but i'm not gonna put her down for doing whatever she wants to do. Haven't any of you gotten bored with something you've done for a long period of time? Change is good for the soul and if she wants to go the "Country-Vegas" (sorry Tavo, i can't remember the exact term you used bit i actually laughed out loud when i read it, it will stay in my vocabulary!!) then who cares? you don't like it? you don't buy it. And the whole Dylan as a Judas argument is a load of crap. its called evolution (don't get me started on the other side of that argument!!!) and i think a few good things came out of him going electric can't we agree?. I guess we can crucify Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis etc for going country after their brief stint as Rockabilly/Rock n Roll artists.

– paul pigat

I still havent forgiven U2 for Achtung Baby

btw...if you go Bauhaus I will understand. You can only get so far on beer tickets and stale bar fries playing rockabilly. Oh and our merch table is downstairs between the mens and ladies restroom!

Spiritwalker, you can dislike anything you want, but we here are getting a little tired of hearing about it all the smurfing time.

If you don't like it, then don't listen to her. Kinda simple. Can't say nothin' nice, then don't say anything. I doubt she'll lose any sleep over your dislikes.

I still havent forgiven U2 for Achtung Baby

btw...if you go Bauhaus I will understand. You can only get so far on beer tickets and stale bar fries playing rockabilly. Oh and our merch table is downstairs between the mens and ladies restroom!

– Dr. Titan McKrakus™ (two thumbs up!)

I like it!! Black makeup, monotonic progressions!!! a steady flow of valium!!!! Do you want to co front the band!!!!??

– Spiritwalker

Well there you have it, I've been told!! by the armchair cowboy himself none the less!!!! Ride of Armchair cowboy, ride on!!!! And if you don't like Bon Jovi, well, that just speaks volumes to your character and honestly, is kind of un patriotic!

Alex Lifeson is a total fake, he just wants to be Paul Pigat. In a blue dress

"I still havent forgiven U2 for Achtung Baby"

At least it was better than Zooropa...

I liked your post Paul, well written and thought out. Humour and appreciation of good music saves us.

I like it!! Black makeup, monotonic progressions!!! a steady flow of valium!!!! Do you want to co front the band!!!!??

– paul pigat

I could go for some Bela Lugosi's Dead..but I don't look so great in fishnet

Register Sign in to join the conversation