Other Players

Imelda May Heads In A New Direction

Here she sings blues with an orchestra in lieu of the rockabilly sound that she offered for so many years. Also, a softer look.

I like it a lot.

SInging Blues with a bigger band is not exactly new for Imelda, she's done it for years and years before she had that "Johnny's got a boom boom" succes.

I think she sounds great, and looks even better!

That may well be, Walter. I simply first became acquainted with her as a performer while she was playing with Darrel. So, to be more precise, she is heading in a new direction for me. As always, I am a little late to the table.

The softer image, the more mainstream material, all of it suggests to me that she may well have someone that she is working with on her career objectives and how to best attain them. And showcasing her talents on Jools Holland's show is an ideal way to go about doing that.

Well, the Jools Holland show is what got her noticed for a bigger audience in the first place, so yes, absolutely.

Her upcoming record is produced by T-Bone Burnett, so I imagine it will at the very least be in great taste. I have yet to hear something that Burnett screwed up.

I like what I see but I like her regardless.

Ric12string, if you wanna check out the bluesier, horn-section-y (I was gonna write "horny", but it kinda sounded wrong...) side of Imelda: She was a member of Mike Sanchez' band many years ago, while she still went by the name Imelda Clabby. There was a CD released a few years ago ("Almost Grown"), which is highly recommended. And here's a vintage live track. Too bad the sound engineer didn't bother about balancing the two vocalists, but there you go...

Anders

I think that we can all agree, she is one very talented lady. she may have changed the music that we know her from but she still does a great job with what she has chosen to sing. and that my friends is known as talent.

Thanks for posting. I never get tired of this kind of music. Check out Pat Benatar's "Blue" album from a few years back.

So does that mean Darrel is being a full time stay at home dad?!?

– Junior Q Man (Ryan M)

Ryan, from what I have read, I believe that Imelda May and Darrel Higham ended their marriage several years ago, yet they co-parent their little girl and generally have a constructive working relationship as parents. They do not work professionally together any longer.

Just watched this. Man, she has some incredible dynamic range and control on her voice - from a purr to a full-throated growl (and back) in the blink of an eye. She's a very impressive and talented lady. I like the softer look, too.

Darrell is still appearing regularly in the UK as a staple of the rockin' scene. Blistering player and alround nice fella.

Ryan, from what I have read, I believe that Imelda May and Darrel Higham ended their marriage several years ago, yet they co-parent their little girl and generally have a constructive working relationship as parents. They do not work professionally together any longer.

– Ric12string

Yep, their marriage ended in 2015. As far as I know, they're still on relatively good terms with each other.

I like her new look (I never really got into the rockabilly chick look - hey, that's just me ), and she does a great job as a jazz singer IMO.

No offense to her rockabilly stuff, but I MUCH prefer this.

I always felt her rockabilly stuff bordered on a caricature of the style, but then I could say that about 90% of modern-day rockabilly artists...

She could wear a burlap sack and sing the phonebook, and she would still kill it!

Just widening her horizons. She's obviously capable of other genres, like Linda Ronstadt, and does them well. I like this new look as well.

Call me naive...

The Music Business is hard.

However glamourous, and fame making, it "puts out the candle" of what the chances are when competing against other talent, or money behind the talent, or the path to market...compared to other ways to make a living.

I didn't resolve the split between her and Darrel, not to say I haven't had trying times with other splits closer to home.

Hoping they both do well, of course, and that they always get up after they get knocked down...

That is more than half of life.

"Ameripolitan"

I hate that stupid word (even tho I LOVE the guy who coined it, Dale Watson)

Wow -- I really like Imelda's "new direction"!! She is a gorgeous lady with a fabulous voice! Today's music needs more like her.

"Ameripolitan"

I hate that stupid word (even tho I LOVE the guy who coined it, Dale Watson)

– ruger9

I think its a great name, its a new name and old timers have a problem with new stuff. Countrypolitan isnt new, so making it American Roots shouldnt be so hard to assimilate.
Dale Watson is right on the money, he doesnt want to be associated w the Sh$t that is now Nashville.

If you dont know who Sturgill Simpson or Elisabeth Cook are, thats forgivable but if you do and you still like Luke Bryant or turd head Blake Sheldon...then your mama should be slapped:)

I like to see artists exploring different styles of music than that for which they are best known. Or, more correctly, that for which I best know them.

She's definitely got the voice for it. I'd like to see her take a turn at some of the classic Big Band-era vocals, or perhaps take on some of the 'torch songs' from that era like Linda Ronstadt did.

I think its a great name, its a new name and old timers have a problem with new stuff. Countrypolitan isnt new, so making it American Roots shouldnt be so hard to assimilate.
Dale Watson is right on the money, he doesnt want to be associated w the Sh$t that is now Nashville.

If you dont know who Sturgill Simpson or Elisabeth Cook are, thats forgivable but if you do and you still like Luke Bryant or turd head Blake Sheldon...then your mama should be slapped:)

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™ (actually loves hippies)

I listen to Simpson, and Cook, and Whitey Morgan, and I don't listen to Luke Bryan or Blake "the voice" Shelton, and I still think "Ameripolitan" is a stupid name.

Have you heard the new stuff by Dale and Ray Benson?

Thanks for the video Ric. I hadn't seen it. She killed it. Hard to hide talent.

Thanks for the video Ric. I hadn't seen it. She killed it. Hard to hide talent.

– JW

Nice to see you on here again, JW. Belated Happy Birthday to you.

Register Sign in to join the conversation