Other Players

Holger Bogen - Gipsy Gitan

Lovely Gretsch tone on what looks to be just the neck pup employed. Good playing to be sure but I'm just not a fan of jazz, in particular, played by someone reading the charts. I want to see and hear them play from memory and really 'get into it'.

It's a 'Guitare Improvisation' backing track Dave- the chords light up on screen and you just can't help but look!

Holger is improvising, for sure. And doing it good.

I dig Holger's playing. Nice to see he still has the 5129. Personally I like the sound of the stock Dyna-lite pups he had on that guitar more than the current Trons.

Proof that you don’t need an expensive guitar to sound great. I always enjoy his videos. Thanks Geoff.

Great tone, fluent and musical improvisation, from a man who knows what he's doing and does it very, very well. He is definitely not reading what he's playing from a written out variation, he's jamming along to a backing track while following chords on a screen; essentially, he's practising improvisation here, not producing a commercial release where a slicker production would be called for.

Having collaborated with Holger on a few occasions, I can tell you that in my experience, he's a quick learner, with a clean and highly evolved technique, with great musical ideas. Also, he has a great ear for good tone, and is consistently able to produce it from every guitar I've ever heard him playing.

Holger is Mr. Fingers! Great player.

Holger is always great!

Lovely Gretsch tone on what looks to be just the neck pup employed. Good playing to be sure but I'm just not a fan of jazz, in particular, played by someone reading the charts. I want to see and hear them play from memory and really 'get into it'.

– Windsordave

Thanks guys, glad you like it. Funny discussion here, I never play from charts or anything.I wish I could.

Great playing and I wish I could play like that. I love the voicing on the backing track. I started looking at gypsy chords a few months ago, now there is a new world for me. Like I don't have enough to learn now. Again great playing.

Wunderschön! You’re giving me ideas about dabbling in Gipsy Swing!

Thanks guys, glad you like it. Funny discussion here, I never play from charts or anything.I wish I could.

– Holger

The whole "recipe"of what you do, how you do it and the music that is created has easily made you one of my favorite guitarists for years.

I love the use of the back tracks as I feel the pursuit in creating my solos is made more cumbersome when trying to first play the song to a drum or band pedal with a looper. I feel it is a lot of work that takes away from the energy I would rather invest in playing melodies and other solo-playing.

You are an exceptional musician Holger.....love your music!

Just when I was wondering about the comparison of the 2 different sets of pickups, original DA 2000s to the TVJ Classic in Geoff's video above, Holger produced a great video that shows them both!!!!

Slight differences but cannot say I like one more than the other. And of course the samples are toe-tapping delights that really prove the magic of the player.

I got lucky as what I was originally listening to on you tube ran into this. Sweet surprise!!!

| Holger is aces. I remember stealing a bunch of swing blues licks off of him.

Register Sign in to join the conversation