Other Players

Hank Williams - “Move it on Over”

Does anyone know who plays lead guitar on the Hank Williams song "Move it on Over"?

Its one of my favourite country songs because of the cool solo. Very rockabilly sounding, especially for 1947.

I figure that someone in the vast depths of the GDP has got to know.

This was before the Drifting Cowboys so I believe it would be Zeb or Zeke Turner.

It was Rockabilly alright.

That's got to be one of my favorite Hank Williams songs. Although I like alot of rockabilly, I'm not into country at all; but Hank pulls it all together and I can't resist. I wish the solo sounded as good when I play it, but nothing I've made up can compare. (Not comparing myself to these greats by any means.)

From the fansite of steelguitar genius Jerry Byrd...

For those of you that have followed Jerry Byrd during his lengthy musical career, you are likely well aware of the lead guitarist that was featured so prominently with Jerry. His name was "Zeke" Turner and he did lots of twin-guitar work with Jerry on those early Mercury releases with the String Dusters. He was also quite prominent on those early Hank Williams tunes, pickin' out those great 'boogie' riffs.

Jerry and I got to talking about Zeke one day as I'd always been curious about their musical relationship; how it was that they went their separate ways after all those great years together.

Jerry laughed and described Zeke as a funny sort of guy. Jerry said Zeke played a huge Epiphone guitar and had, at some earlier date, cut a huge, square hole out of the back of it, presumably to get inside to the electronics/wiring or whatever and never bothered to patch it back up.

Perhaps even more strange......Zeke Turner wasn't really Zeke Turner at all, but rather James Cecil Grishaw, brother to Zeb Turner, who was actually William Edward Grishaw. The boys used to do a "brothers" act so that's why Zeb also changed his name to "Turner".

From answers.com..... When he was eight years old, Williams was given a guitar by his mother. His musical education was provided by a local blues street singer, Rufus Payne, who was called Tee Tot. From Tee Tot, Hank learned how to play the guitar and sing the blues, which would come to provide a strong undercurrent in his songwriting. Williams began performing around the Georgiana and Greenville areas of Alabama in his early teens. His mother moved the family to Montgomery, AL, in 1937, where she opened a boarding house. In Montgomery, Hank formed a band called the Drifting Cowboys and landed a regular spot on the local radio station, WSFA, in 1941. During his shows, Williams would sing songs from his idol, Roy Acuff, as well as several other country hits of the day. WSFA dubbed him the Singing Kid and Williams stayed with the station for the rest of the decade.

Yep, total influence on early rock & roll and rockabilly. You'd have to be deaf and dumb not to hear "Move It On Over" in "Rock Around the Clock" or vice/versa. Bill Haley & The Comets took it uptown, but they were still hillbillies at heart.

Cool, thanks for all the info. I wonder what got zeke to change his name in the first place?

Adam, I learned the solo a couple of months ago and it is hard to make it sound good. That little triplet run is especially tough, eh.

Gretschmaster, are you playing the actual solo? I more or less made up something to fill the void in the song, that seemed to fit. Do you have any tabs for it? I'd love to give it a shot but my playing is better than my transcribing.

Adam, yes I am playing the actual solo. Luckily I have an amazing guitar teacher. I brought the song in to my half hour lesson and learned the entire solo. I think i have the tab somewhere but i'll have to look for it. If I find it I guess I could scan it and send it to you.

The "Move it on Over" solo took a lot more than a half hour lesson for me to learn. It was more like 4 days using one of those tascam things. That solo & Luther Perkins solo on "Hey Porter" are 2 of my all time favorite solos.

Gretschmaster said: I wonder what got Zeke to change his name in the first place?

Born as William Grishaw, honky tonk guitarist Zeb Turner took his name from his best-loved composition, the "Zeb Turner Stomp." Turner first turned up on wax as a member of the Hi Neighbor Boys on the American Record Label in 1938, but he soon left the group to join forces with his brother James who took the stage name of Zeke Turner. The Turner brothers played guitar on many sessions shortly after WWII, turning up on records by Red Foley and Hank Williams and writing Eddy Arnold's 1947 hit, "It's a Sin." In addition to lending his country boogie guitar work to others, Zeb Turner often recorded in his own right on small, regional labels such as Nashville's Bullet Records and, later, Cincinnati's King Records. Though he never enjoyed mainstream success, Turner did have a long career, eventually ending up as a folksinger in Montreal. ~ Steve Kurutz

Didn't know the song before. But love it. Thanks.

Man, thanks for those clips and that reminder.

Not only a precursor of rockabilly – you can also hear strong Western Swing in the tune, of course – as well as the big band swing influence of the call-and-response vocal chorus. You could even imagine the steel as horn parts, and the solo lines (guitar and fiddle) as a sax & trumpet. A great transitional moment between what had been and what was coming, but completely satisfying in and of itself.

Rich stuff, pre-rock-era folk/pop.

I saw a great presentation on Woody Guthrie over the weekend, put on by a community theatre group; 20-some Woody songs in the repertoire, and great singers and players. String bass, several guitars, occasional dobro and harmonica, bango and mandolin, fiddle, little piano...

Sounded wonderful. That "string band" kinda folky music was the alternative to pop at the time; again, you hear all the blues and mountain and jazz influences mixed gently. Great stuff.

Everytime I hear Hank Sr. I think if you don't get that, you just can't possibly get anything ELSE about what came out of the American south in the 30s-40s-50s, or anything based on it.

When I played in hot rod electric bluegrass bands, southern boogie/bothkindscountryANDwestern pickup bands in the 80s, playing Hank tunes was the highlight of most gigs. Jambalaya, Honky Tonkin', Honky Tonk Blues, Kaliga, So Lonesome, even Yer Cheatin'... (Alabama and Crank Jr. tunes were the dreaded low points.)

Invariably when I talk about music with people whose musical environment is modern country – who think of Ricky Skaggs, Alabama, and outlaw as "oldies" – and they figure out I might be a rocker, they're quick to tell me they like MODERN country, not that old whiny stuff.

Then I have to tell them that's the country I DO like. 40s-50s-60s, till it lost its way in the 70s and 80s...

It just don't get no better than Hank – and has anyone really improved on country since?

I'll just say ME TOO Proteus... I think the 40's and 50's were the best years for music...any kind of music.

With guys like Hank, Eddie Arnold and ET, they were far ahead of their times.

I read once that most of the top hits Eddy Arnold recorded ---were mastered on the first take!

I would like to see a modern day band release some of the old hits...played with the same instruments, same recording equipment, and an effort made to imitate the voices of the original performers.

Where would we get a Hank or Eddy these days? (There WERE several others that could have been mentioned here...but I'll keep it short :-)

I really like the whine and twang of that era's music...especially the great lap steel guitar players!

Speaking of great steel players... Here's some of the best.

What a duo here!

Roy Wiggins

You guys got me goin' here and now I have to ask - any Jimmie Rivers/Vance Terry fans here? The one album I have (the only Jimmie Rivers you can get - I'd love to be wrong about that) "Brisbane Bop" is a low-fi jem, smokey, groovy, western swing/redneck jazz. "Brisbane Bop" is River's only available recording. But what a legacy.

No one seems to play that style anymore - a damn shame.

I'm with you!

Eddie Arnold had a fantastic voice... I love "Cattle Call" for one!

I really love that whole Cowboy, Western Swing and Hillbilly genre... Spade Cooly (who Eddie sang for... Though he did kill his wife!) Bob Wills, Tex Williams, Sons of the Pioneers, Hank Snow, Hank Thompson etc...

Oh yeah, pedal steel! How about Bud Isaacs and Speedy West!

I love Marty Robbins as well, especially with Grady Martin playing guitar behind him!

Yep, gotta have those Pedal Steel Players..... Here's one of the best!

Buddy Emmons

He's got a great lead guitarist playing with him.

57Chet...you'll like the Jerry Byrd video above with Marty Robbins.

fieldhdj: I'm going to have to look these guys up, haven't heard them.

This guy is good!

These videos make great back ground music to practice and record with.

OK DanO! Nice... I'm getting kinda weepy here now...

I'm trying to teach myself dobro, but it's going pretty slow... holding it in the lap etc... My wife bought me a Gibson Hound Dog for Christmas... She's a sweety!

Anyway, thanks for posting Buddy Emmons!

Edit :

Dan) said - "57Chet...you'll like the Jerry Byrd video above with Marty Robbins."

Yeah, I saw it before my last post... Very Nice! ... That's why I mentioned him... He's one of my favorites too!

DanO said: fieldhdj: I'm going to have to look these guys up, haven't heard them

Imagine someone a bit like Charlie Christian playing in a little redneck bar, where the dancing starts at 9 and the fights start at 10, selling buffalo burgers between songs (really), mixing jazz and western swing seamlessly.. Throw in a 10 minute version of Twin Guitar Special, and well, you get the idea...

DanO - BTW, one of my other favorite musicians lives here in the Washington, D.C. area... Mike Auldridge ... I can't say how many times I've seen him perform over the years.. A LOT ... I've also talked to the man a few times, and he is one of the nicest guys I've met...Anyway, if I get up to some modicum of talent on the dobro, I will probably invest in a couple of lessons from one of the true masters.

Thanks again for posting those "You Tube" links!

DanO said: Lets see a picture of the 'ole Dog....

The dobro or my wfe?

(Just joking)

Oh great! Now we're going to be watching an hour or so of great steel players, because of you guys. Can you believe Buddy Emmons? He is the greatest ever, and when you listen to the ending on that song, you have to wonder...How in the world did he ever think of that?!? Duane's favorite album project was recorded in Nashville, Twang a Country Song, and Buddy played the most amazing things. Like James Burton, a genius. But, then there's John Hughey, who's solo on Look At Us makes me cry every time I hear it, is brilliant. His work on all those great Vince Gill records will be remembered as classic. Yes, we are crazy for steel in this house. As a matter of fact, there's a Fender double-neck sitting right across the room.

Buddy is definately the man for steel...along with some of my other favourites...

Orvile Red Rhodes Tom Brumley Greg Leisz and the late Sneaky Pete Kleinow..

Man, Buddy Emmons - ain't he great? I have a good friend that did several sessions with Buddy 25 years or so ago. In the process, he became well acquainted with Buddy and his then wife. One night at the Opry, my friend was sitting by Buddy's, by then, ex wife and they were both admiring Buddy's playing. The lady commented that he was in front of the steel all the time. When he went to bed, he would watch TV and have a lap steel across his chest and go to sleep that way. When he woke up, the first thing he did was get in front of the steel again. She may have been exaggerating some, but it takes a lot of dedication to play like that.

Thanks, Richard

Register Sign in to join the conversation