Other Players

Great Guitar Twins

Nigel and David?

Ian and Martin are curious...I read at some point back then that Martin only ever had about 7 LP's, but somehow became quite a guitarist.

Anderson & Barre? Hmm. Maybe so. One doesn't think of them as harmony guitar brothers, but they do interact in more complex ways than "me lead, you rhythm."

And of course Quicksilver. Shoulda thought of that one.

While we're there and then, I should have thought of Jerry, Peter & Skip. They never got the exposure or credit deserved, but they turned in great work.

Rick and Johnny

Derringer & Winter? Maybe so. "Rock & Roll Hootchie Coo," no? That was a thing.

Lots of great stuff in your thread, Spike; that covers the ain't-rock side of things well. Likewise Ade's mention of Hank & Grady.

I dunno, Parabar. For my taste, Larry Young's B - and the deft drumming - are by far the highlights of that loud Roundup-ready guitar battle. I can do without the warring egos - though Carlos occasionally transcends his technique, and Mahavishnu John does sometimes play comprehensibly. But they're playing more against than with each other.

I like both their early albums, though, where Carlos sticks with his simple melodic approach - and that saturated tone was fresh - and JM is frequently constrained by the sublime melodies and rhythmic complexities of the MO's material.

And before anyone even brings it up, guitar harmonies in "Hotel Californication" don't qualify The Egos, as I can't give anyone in that band credit for mutual-mind spontaneity. (Except for Joe, and it takes more than one.) -- Proteus

Harsh.

From the 80's

Rudolf and Mathias

and the Ultimate Triplets, Adrian,David and Janick

Lester and Earl. Chad and Jeremy. Peter and Gordon. Buck and Don. Don and Phil.

Staying with the theme of guitar duets - no singing - here's a pair who were big in their day as guitarists and made a formidable duo when they played together waaay back in the day: Merle Travis (finger/thumbstyle) and Joe Maphis (flat picker)

Warren DeMartini and Robbin Crosby. That twin guitar.

Gonna toss a one-time pairing into the mix- Keith and Neil from Celtic Thunder on a pair of Gretsches... From the "Heritage" DVD.

Yes, I know that they are hardly up there with many of our guitar gods, but then again, once I get out of my own mind, neither am I.

The fills are fairly straightforward, but the pair manage to pull off a nice harmonized riff beginning at 2:06 in this version of the Irish folk song about whiskey...

(And the guitars at least are indeed twins!)

Jerry & Will & John---a trio!

Marty & Kenny.

Murray and Stratton ,then Murray and Smith,now Murray ,Smith and Gers.

Ivy and Brian.

Ivy and Kid Congo

Ivy and ....Ivy.

Then they got a bass player.

In a similar vein...

Jon and Judah

Gonna toss a one-time pairing into the mix- Keith and Neil from Celtic Thunder on a pair of Gretsches... From the "Heritage" DVD.

Yes, I know that they are hardly up there with many of our guitar gods, but then again, once I get out of my own mind, neither am I.

The fills are fairly straightforward, but the pair manage to pull off a nice harmonized riff beginning at 2:06 in this version of the Irish folk song about whiskey...

(And the guitars at least are indeed twins!)

– Kevin Frye

You'd think Irishmen would've gotten the lyrics right.

Well, you're right. It isn't exactly the version I performed for more than a quarter century ("Jar-oh"??), but the little redheaded girl in the audience (1:21) sure didn't seem to mind!

Jimmy and Speedy!

George and Paul - And Your Bird Can Sing.

Link

George and Paul - And Your Bird Can Sing.

Link

– Baba Joe

That wonderful lead guitar harmony seems to have inspired much of future Southern rock like the Allman Brothers and Lynyrd Skynyrd as well as hard rock and metal acts like Thin Lizzy and Iron Maiden.

Santo & Johnny

Grady Martin & Paul Burlison

Register Sign in to join the conversation