Other Players

Got to see Connie Smith and Marty Stuart last night in French Lick,…

Connie opened and played for an hour, her band is excellent with Gary Carter on steel and Jack Daniels (formerly of Highway 101) on lead guitar. Jack replaces Rick Wright who was tragically killed in an auto accident something over a year ago.

Jack played a Black 3 pick-up Tele through a Peavey amp for all but one number, he used a Strat on that one. I was really impressed with Jack as it had been years since I had heard him.

Marty and the Fabulous Superlatives played for an hour as well doing several of Marty's hits and some songs from his new CD called "Way Out West). He and Cousin Kenny Vaughan burned up the Telecasters and they are now playing through Deluxe Reverbs instead of Princeton's. I got to speak with one of their Techs before the show and he said the Princetons just weren't getting it done anymore.

They did a new instrumental tune called Mojave that they wrote, (a surfy sounding tune) and it was just out of this world.

One of the highlights of the show was them doing El Paso by Marty Robbins. Grady Martin is being inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame this year and Marty and the boys have been asked to play for the Gold Medallion Ceremony. Kenny had all the fills down to a tee on this song and the harmony of Marty, Harry and Chris was just superb!

The only thing I didn't like about the show is the fact that the sound went up about 20 decibels when Marty started playing, Connie's sound level was about as perfect as could possible be in the big room we were in.

Connie can still bring it as does Marty, this was one of the best shows I've ever attended.

I forgot to add that for the encore Kenny played a 12 string Ric and they did a Byrds song, the title escapes me at the moment.

Congrats FB. That just had to be a really good show. It is awe inspiring to me, the level of talent and ability found in all of those folks.

Those guys are killer. They had been using Twin Reverb, then bragged on going down to Princetons which lasted a couple of years... everyone comes back to the Deluxe at some point.

Did they do Hummingbyrd, that b-bender extravaganza?

I am catching them next time thru.

I am green with envy, Farmerbrown, and not just because it was St. Paddy's Day.

Those guys are killer. They had been using Twin Reverb, then bragged on going down to Princetons which lasted a couple of years... everyone comes back to the Deluxe at some point.

Did they do Hummingbyrd, that b-bender extravaganza?

I am catching them next time thru.

– DCBirdMan

They didn't do Hummingbyrd, they did Toronado and Mojave from the new record, both great instrumentals.

Kenny Lovelace who used to play fiddle and lead guitar for Jerry Lee Lewis also joined them for 3 numbers, he played fiddle on 2, and guitar and sang Bony Maroni. He lives in Indiana not too far from the venue now since he is retired.

Marty and the Superlatives, with the addition of Vince Gill on guitar and the really high parts, helped induct Grady Martin into the Country Hall of Fame in November 2015. Next, Duane joined Mandy Barnett on Don't Worry ’Bout Me, playing Grady's famous fuzzed out solo on his new signature Gretsch six string bass. It was a night...

Marty and the Superlatives, with the addition of Vince Gill on guitar and the really high parts, helped induct Grady Martin into the Country Hall of Fame in November 2015. Next, Duane joined Mandy Barnett on Don't Worry ’Bout Me, playing Grady's famous fuzzed out solo on his new signature Gretsch six string bass. It was a night...

– Deed Eddy

Now, that was some good fun right there. And non-musicians may wonder why we love music as we do.

Besides his many talents, something that makes Marty Stuart very special is the way he came up in the world of country music. Serving an apprenticeship while a teenager with Lester Flatt was just a start for Marty. His education continued as a sideman for Johnny Cash, with taste and just the right amount of flash.

He has never been shy in showing a huge amount of respect and admiration for the older generations of country musicians. They gave the respect and friendship back in a way that few other players experience. Bill Monroe would pull Marty out of an audience to get up on stage and play whatever he felt like--usually a Monroe composition. Even though Marty was never a member of Monroe's Bluegrass Boys, he gets invited to reunions of surviving member of the band.

In a touching gesture, Marty asked Porter Wagoner to play gigs with the Fabulous Superlatives towards the end of Porter's life. Marty Stuart really is what country music is all about. He knows how to put on a fine country show!

Register Sign in to join the conversation