Other Players

Give A Brief Review of Your Latest CD Purchase or Download

I have learned about musicians through this site that I might otherwise never have heard anything about. I have also learned about CDs that sounded like they might be of interest to me, and sometimes they actually were. Sometimes not so much. But, I love to learn from others about artists and bands.

A first impression of the first release from one of my musical heroes, Rusty Young.

Rusty was the steel and dobro player for Poco since its inception and he has just released his first solo album. Not much pedal steel or dobro on this one, Waitin' For The Sun. Pretty much trying to recapture the success of his song Crazy Love. Rusty was probably the most unlikely singer from Poco as his voice is probably the most delicate of them all -- even more so than Tim Schmit's. I am going to have to give this one some further listens to develop a sense about how much I like it.

But, here is one that Rusty is particularly proud of and hopes will be a part of his musical legacy.

Picked this up this afternoon... Mr A and I go 'way back.. to at least last July when he suddenly started following my seldom-used Twitter account... He's been kind enough to exchange a couple of notes back and forth so I thought it best to respond by buying his latest once it was out.

Besides, I confess that I kind of like his music. But it's still in the wrapper. I'll give it a listen and post a review after the weekend.

I'm bopping about to Cheap Trick Christmas, It kind of does what it says on the tin, it is a bunch of Christmas tunes attacked in usual Cheap Trick way.

Believe it or not, the L.A. County Library lets you check out Music CD's.. Where have I been !?!

I can actually order CD's online and pick them up at my local Library ,which is 1 block away from me.

I finally listened to Bitches Brew and a few more from Wes Montgomery and The New York Dolls, A total of 13 CD's this week so a Review of them all would lead in to Proteus territory, ( I LOVE you Proteus!).

But one you might like is Jamiroquai's, Traveling Without Moving. A blend of Funk,Jazz,string and horn sections, all songs done very well,excellent musicianship all around and with a lead singer with a very appealing voice. You can let the entire Disc play all the way through, which to me, is a "rarity" .

I'm a fan of a guitar player named Duke Levine . . . he plays with numerous bands around the Boston area, the best-known of which is Peter Wolf & the Midnight Travelers. He is an exceptionally soulful player, a well-regarded session musician, and toured for many years with Mary Chapin Carpenter.

I recently purchased an album on which he played, that I am very much enjoying. It is a collection of covers of Jerry Garcia / Robert Hunter songs, entitled "Fennario". The lead singer (and instigator of this project) is a guy I'd previously never heard of: Emory Joseph. Larry Campbell also plays on this album, and David Grisman adds his mandolin stylings to "Brown Eyed Women".

Here's one sample (Duke Levine is the tele player in this clip):

One of my favorite cds is Freedy Johnston's "Neon Repairman" which came out in 2015, but I've only got it recently.

He can craft a song, and set a mood quite masterfully, with an amazing balance of haunting melodies and playful pop sensibilities.

I'm bopping about to Cheap Trick Christmas, It kind of does what it says on the tin, it is a bunch of Christmas tunes attacked in usual Cheap Trick way.

– Mr Tubs

Oh, now this one looks interesting! I may have to find this one myself.

One of my favorite cds is Freedy Johnston's "Neon Repairman" which came out in 2015, but I've only got it recently.

He can craft a song, and set a mood quite masterfully, with an amazing balance of haunting melodies and playful pop sensibilities.

– crowbone

Woah! I like that one a lot. Who would have thought that that subject matter would yield that kind of song. Never heard of Freedy before, but I may have to delve deeper into his catalogue.

All the Hits...

Some might recall The Kinks were "blacklisted" in the US from 1965-1969 due to an incident prior to a TV appearance. They missed the hey dey years of the British invasion.

They stayed true to their British roots, much more so than the other artists we all know.

I remember an interview with Ray regarding the Euro. And whether the Brits would adopt the Currency and drop the Pound. In so many words he said, "Not ever...".

So much for the EU 20+ years later, eh?

He should have entered politics!

I I am not aware of the Kinks having been blacklisted in this country. I will have to try to find a backstory on that. But, I have always enjoyed their music immensely.

I I am not aware of the Kinks having been blacklisted in this country. I will have to try to find a backstory on that. But, I have always enjoyed their music immensely.

– Ric12string

You might start here: https://www.quora.com/Why-w...

I originally ordered "Don't Press Your Luck! The IN Sound of 60's Connecticut" because it contained music from the West Haven band "The Shags". It came as a nice surprise that a song and band I'd long forgotten was also included. "No Good To Cry" by the Windsor-based group "The Wildweeds" was a big regional hit back when I lived in Connecticut, and it's inclusion in this compilation made my day! The tracks on this disc were recorded at the famous Trod Nossel Studios by dentist-turned-recording guru Thomas "Doc" Cavalier, who started managing The Shags. I've had the disc loaded into my car CD player ever since!

The guitar player from the Wildweeds replaced Steve Ferguson in the New Rockabilly Quartet.

Yeah, Big Al Anderson was in NRBQ.

Holy Crap! Someone remembers the WildWeeds..... In the summer of 1967, I lived in Newington CT and worked at a steak house that had a 'discotecque' in the basement. The WildWeeds were booked for two nights: Friday and Saturday. On Saturday afternoon, one of my coworkers finagled the lock to the basement and a bunch of us irresponsible teens decided to jam. I was a drummer at the time, but since everybody can play drums (sarc), someone else got there first. The B-3 got fired up next, so all that was left for me was the Hofner Beatle bass that was just lying on the stage (no case). I turned the amp on. Once I played a simple run on that bass and felt the notes kick my chest, I was hooked for life. The bass belonged to (the now late) Bob Dudek, who was legally blind. I never thanked him. So Bob D., if you're out there somewhere, "THANKS!!!".

I can't believe that they left all of their gear (except Big Al's guitar) setup for us creeps.

Here's another one of their tunes. Anybody 'hear' the Young Rascals in this one?

I’d never heard of this band. Great stuff! Like classy blue-eyed R&B garage rock jazz.

Funny it’s Big Al. I was dimly aware of the NRBQ, then he was one of the guys who wandered into Glaser Music in Nashville during the same visit I met Frampton’s Les Paul. Al was picking up a kinda customized Tele, and noodled a bit unamplified at the counter, like we do. So I got to meet him. Vince Gill showed up about lunchtime, then Duane and Deed came down to the store for a visit.

Cool day, you could say.

The guitar player from the Wildweeds replaced Steve Ferguson in the New Rockabilly Quartet.

– Kap'n

I always thought it was New Rhythm and Blues Quartet? Learn something new all the time.

Grant Green-Green street

Hi phrasings and tone is so beautiful

I always thought it was New Rhythm and Blues Quartet? Learn something new all the time.

– spike

I believe that you are correct, Spike . . . NRBQ = New Rhythm & Blues Quartet.

From their website:

Woah! I like that one a lot. Who would have thought that that subject matter would yield that kind of song. Never heard of Freedy before, but I may have to delve deeper into his catalogue.

– Ric12string

I'm surprised that you don't know his earlier material. He had a hit or two in the 90s that seemed to be used a lot in movies, etc...

I'm surprised that you don't know his earlier material. He had a hit or two in the 90s that seemed to be used a lot in movies, etc...

– crowbone

Yep, I like that one as well. And the fact that I am unaware of him is probably a further endorsement of his bona fides.

One of my daughters bought this for me as a birthday gift (arrived early...) --

It is 2 CD's + BlueRay DVD of a live concert he/they did this past summer. A reformed ELO, they have been touring with great success during the last couple of years and have scheduled a USA tour during the summer of '18. He/they did a "Live at Hyde Park" concert in Sept., 2014 which sold out 50,000 tickets in 15 minutes (according to Wikipedia).

Dhani Harrison presented his first show in his name in July in support of his new album. You may remember I flew to L.A. with the sunflowers for that show and shared some photos & videos. He is über energetic on stage. Nice to see. His favorite track off In//Parallel is All About the Waiting. I can't determine my favorite among the others.

But, I'm pretty happy about this one:

Register Sign in to join the conversation