Other Players

for Tru-Believers only

In 1974 I went to see Roy Buchanan at Town Hall in NYC. The show got started late because Larry Coryell, while excellent, played too long. To get the last bus home we had to leave ½ way thru the first show So when Live Stock album came out the next year I got it right away.

So fast forward 44 freekin years and finally they put out both shows on one CD. Some are the Live Stock cuts and some are from the next show, which was much looser, jam oriented but a number of repeats. One of them, I’m Evil, has the whole track with the guitar cutting in and out because a bad cord. Still this was his best band lineup—that 1974-1978 period.

So the first set CD is signed by THE GREAT Billy Price and that’s the show I was at. I am going to give away the second CD, and EVEN PAY POSTAGE to a Roy Buchanan True Believer, who understands what the scene was and what he was doing with a 1953 Telecaster into a black panel Vibrolux (turned around) and NO Girly Pedal Scene. Of course in the 80s he discovered delay but was also touring as a 3 piece.

So first one to email me… rdb AT pipeline DOT com US only. Email because my PM has been flaky.

Read up on it.

https://shop.realgonemusic....

I have not yet been able to "get" Roy Buchanon. Maybe my ears/mind just isn't "ready" for him yet? I couldn't get into Jeff Beck either until I saw Live From Ronnie Scott's on TV.

I LOVE Jim Campilongo, who might be the world's biggest Roy Buchanon fan, but Roy... just doesn't connect with me. With one exception:

A watershed moment for me came around 72-73 when I saw Roy at a Jai aLai stadium near Ocala Florida. The opener was JJ Cale. The acoustics were terrible unless you were pressed against the chain link netting up close as I was. There were maybe 200-300 people there. What a show, they remain as two of my favorites to this day.

The Buchanan recordings I like most are his pre-solo LP records, as a session guy, or the handful of bootlegs circulating. Look for the "early years" CD.

The Buchanan recordings I like most are his pre-solo LP records, as a session guy, or the handful of bootlegs circulating. Look for the "early years" CD.

– WB

I've heard some of that- sounded like standard rockabilly stuff to me (he was playing for a rockabilly guy I guess). Anything in particular you'd recommend?

And as for session work, I've always had a problem with that... like Mike Landau, who seems to be almost universally loved by players: awesome player, but known more for his session/sideman work than for his solo stuff. I'm not going to dig thru umpteen album credits to try to find "the good stuff" LOL

I've always loved Tim Pierce's session/sideman work- but I also like Rick Springfield, so I got to hear a ton of it. But if I were looking for Tim Pierce stuff TODAY and someone told me to go download some Rick Springfield albums... LOL

JC always recommends Roy's 1st solo album as a "litmus test" as to whether you will like Roy or not...

Anything in particular you'd recommend?

Yes, as I said above, that "early years" CD. It has R&B, Rockabilly, Soul, Surf-style instros and rock on it, and it's mostly compiled sideman work, so you won't have to tire yourself and look for it.

It's worth looking at the release dates of some of the stuff he did - without them, you'd go "sure...whatever" sometimes, but if you do look at when he was doing certain things, you start to understand the "ahead of his time" tag Buchanan gets sometimes.

"Mule Train" stomp, for example, is not your standard 1961 guitar instrumental....

'61...so that kinda has to be "just" amp overdrive? It sure borders on fuzz. That amp must be screaming for mercy. Just how loud WAS he?

well into fuzz territory to my ears! Who knows what he was playing through on that session? people have been very creative getting more distortion from their amps. Check both Pat Hare and Willie Johnson (on Wolf's early sides on SUN), they sound like amp meltdown or primitive fuzz too, and that's the 50's!

well into fuzz territory to my ears! Who knows what he was playing through on that session? people have been very creative getting more distortion from their amps.

Yes, it sounds like more than amp distortion to me. And if you overpower an amp with a Variac, you don't really get fuzzier - just more concentrated and compressed.

Could be a tape machine or radio used as a preamp. I'm just not aware of any fuzz pedals per se at that time.

Lol, my tweed tremolux starts getting that tone on about 4. And I'm pretty sure whatever Roy was playing was "not" on 4.

Something about those Swan songs....

Of course it does. My mistake, lol! I'm just stupid, LOL!

Well Roy was pigeonholed as a blues guy but he had a command of styles, and it's true his really early stuff and then then 1st two Polydor albums were the best. Nice solos on Hey Good Lookin, Lonesome Fugitive and others. He was unique but left behind some talented desciples, like Campilongo.

"JC always recommends Roy's 1st solo album as a "litmus test" as to whether you will like Roy or not..."

Yes, absolutely, that and #2 of the polydore stuff. The rest is hit or miss, he tried I guess to please what he thought was his audience.Also the man was chasing some serious demons.But his tone and playing on those first two, just an ole Tele and a twin cranked. Man,what a sound!

"JC always recommends Roy's 1st solo album as a "litmus test" as to whether you will like Roy or not..."

Yes, absolutely, that and #2 of the polydore stuff. The rest is hit or miss, he tried I guess to please what he thought was his audience.Also the man was chasing some serious demons.But his tone and playing on those first two, just an ole Tele and a twin cranked. Man,what a sound!

– Opie

I thought Roy was famous for playing a Vibrolux?

Bud Osprey on RB, Fall of ’75: “Licks ’n’ wails Roy caint make with dat Tele - nuthin’. While a blue note’s dyin’ away he scratch his ear with da right hand - just a teeny hint of a smile - or maybe he yawn.”.

Never heard of Bud Osprey? Doesn’t show up on Google?

Bud was Roy’s publicist for the ill-fated 1975 Australian Tour. Roy’s aversion to the limelight caused it to be scaled back from 5 major cities and several country regions to only Tamworth, Australia’s country music Mecca then and now. Blues and Jazz were also in vogue in those days and an emerging name like Buchanan, albeit in self-imposed obscurity, was guaranteed to put bums on seats given adequate publicity. Enter Bud Osprey. Bud, an American from Oklahoma who emigrated DownUnder in the early days of Rock ’n’ Roll of the late ‘50s was in the right place at the right time having caught a few of Buchanan’s gigs and session work and having struck up an amicable business relationship with him before he left for southern climes. Today, at age 80, he resides in a nursing home in Coober Pedy, opal capital of Australia northeast of Adelaide and southeast of Alice Springs and Ululru, formerly named Ayers Rock. It’s a tough area for tough guys scraping a living from fragments of the elusive gemstone - a fitting place for a hardened old campaigner like Bud Osprey to end his glory days remembering a great guitarist. I interviewed him on a recent foray into the Red Centre on the subject of RB and the aborted '75 tour. Like to know more?

There isn’t any. You know an Aussie’s predilection for telling yarns - i.e tall tales. It’s all in fun so don’t accuse me of being a troll. Roy wasn’t averse to stretching the truth for his own amusement. I reckon this would appeal to his dry sense of humour.

'at's some good stuff right'ere, and if it ain't strickly true, it oughta be. It's better than truthy, it's legendary.

Register Sign in to join the conversation