Other Players

For Absent Member Proteus…

There was a great article on prog-rock in the New Yorker recently but it's not showing up on their website. Probably a review of the same book. The only music playing in my house growing up was classical, so I listened to some of that classical -influenced stuff growing up: lots of Jethro Tull and ELP. But that was as far as it went. Discovered the Yardbirds playing "Train Kept A Rolling" and that was it. During parties my parents would play lots of Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass; loved the tones of that guitarist who I later figured out was imitating Duane Eddy.

Interesting article. I think there are parallels to the "rise and fall of fusion," which had similar pros and cons during the same timeframe. What started as a radical and invigorating influx of new influences and techniques became diluted when every sideman of every band was given a recording contract. Too many great players were not necessarily great writers or bandleaders, and the resulting glut of albums that were merely flashy displays of virtuosity without matching substance helped turn off many listeners, who may never have gotten to experience the brilliance of King Crimson, Yes, ELP, or Focus at their best --- or their fusion counterparts Weather Report, Return to Forever, the Tony Williams Lifetime, George Duke, or the Mahavishnu Orchestra.

The fact that both genres were supplanted by punk in the "musical ecosystem" is even more disheartening, as it seems to support the notion that any kind of intellectualism --- or even the appearance of it --- is to be avoided at all costs, in favor of the lowest common denominator. Which, let's face it, in the case of punk is REALLY low.

I like some prog rock. I've seen YES four times, and Tull ten. Being a keyboard player, ELP works for me as well. Weather Report and other fusion groups have their place as well. Still, Wakeman's solo stuff can get boring---the keyboard version of a shredder. Punk just seems to be a low rent version of '60s garage bands. The Kinks did it better.

I've never been a fan of "prog" anything. ESPECIALLY prog "rock." Only now, later in life, am I enjoying the "prog" factor in many guitar players who have become favorites... but I am using the word to mean a great blending of musical styles into one cohesive sound.... Guthrie Trapp is a good example. In the guitar world, I guess this is more often called "fusion".... altho no one would call Guthrie Trapp "fusion" in today's world. (Trapp mixes bluegrass, country, blues, jazz, and latin/cuban stylings)

I STILL can't listen to prog rock- Rush, Yes, any of that stuff. I can enjoy the occasional Kansas song, or "Owner of a Lonely Heart" on the radio, but that's it. I've always felt like those bands- considered "supergroups" by many, were always "too many chefs spoil the sauce". Very few bands where everyone is great can pull off a cohesive creation, where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. The Beatles, Led Zepplin...

Looking back, some of those bands were among my favorites at the time....Yes, Genesis, Kansas,....I liked Jethro Tull before they became "progressive"....heck, even my all time fav, Todd R dipped his toe into those waters with the first few Utopia albums.

I rarely pull out any of those CD's, LP's or however it is we listen nowadays anymore though (except, of course for the Todd stuff!)

Speaking of Prog...Just got King Crimson tickets for November 1rst at the Merriam theater in Philly.

Last time I saw them had Fripp, Levin, Bruford and Belew in there...my favorite lineup.

I just heard that there's 4 drummers in the current lineup.

This should be interesting.

I've never been a fan of "prog" anything. ESPECIALLY prog "rock." Only now, later in life, am I enjoying the "prog" factor in many guitar players who have become favorites... but I am using the word to mean a great blending of musical styles into one cohesive sound.... Guthrie Trapp is a good example. In the guitar world, I guess this is more often called "fusion".... altho no one would call Guthrie Trapp "fusion" in today's world. (Trapp mixes bluegrass, country, blues, jazz, and latin/cuban stylings)

I STILL can't listen to prog rock- Rush, Yes, any of that stuff. I can enjoy the occasional Kansas song, or "Owner of a Lonely Heart" on the radio, but that's it. I've always felt like those bands- considered "supergroups" by many, were always "too many chefs spoil the sauce". Very few bands where everyone is great can pull off a cohesive creation, where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. The Beatles, Led Zepplin...

– ruger9

I agree 100% w/ everything you said but admit that I know and admire the talent of the musicians. The fact is I just don't "feel" the music. I did like "Owner of a Lonely Heart" and that album but what I think of '70s prog. rock just feels flat to me.

"Owner of a Lonely Heart" was something of a YES mainstream crossover. I remember my neighbor's comments back in the day. He was raised on a more Country sound, very accomplished guitarist and songwriter.

He thought it was great.

I agree 100% w/ everything you said but admit that I know and admire the talent of the musicians. The fact is I just don't "feel" the music. I did like "Owner of a Lonely Heart" and that album but what I think of '70s prog. rock just feels flat to me.

– NJDevil

We are brothers from other mothers

Hope you're doing well down there in... TN? I hope everything is working out. Looking forward to the next time we can get together at a roundup, and jam... I'll be able to stay the duration next time.

We are brothers from other mothers

Hope you're doing well down there in... TN? I hope everything is working out. Looking forward to the next time we can get together at a roundup, and jam... I'll be able to stay the duration next time.

– ruger9

No argument there Ruger and if talking tone or playing style, we could probably complete each other's sentences.

I actually came back from Nashville at the end of April as my boss went back on his word on more than 50% of what we agreed on so I came back. My car was rear ended there and avoided 3 more serious accidents too. No one can drive there and it took me over 40 minutes in the morning to get to the office 10 miles away (with an average of about 3 reported accidents every 10 minutes)

After some blood, sweat and a little good fortune I found a great position with a company in midtown and start there on Monday the 31st.....HAPPY TO BE HOME!! I'm pissed I'll miss the Nashville roundup but maybe Grumpy's this year?!

I spoke with Proteus today. He sez, "Hey". Well, something like that.

I spoke with Proteus today. He sez, "Hey". Well, something like that.

– Ric12string

I haven't been here for awhile, but I hope Tim is doing well...

Register Sign in to join the conversation