Other Players

Fogerty — amps

Who thinks Fogerty used a Kustom on the classic CCR studio recordings?

Midnight Special was recorded with a Vibrolux I think, and drop tuning.

Kustoms on the road, Fenders in the studio. See the cover of Cosmo's Factory; also they made a video that shows more shots of the inside of the studio, but the four videos are only available if you buy the boxed singles hits.

Yes, Midnight Special was dropped D on an ES-175, stolen a little later.

Edit: Check out Charlie Vegas' link for more accurate and up to date info; what I remembered was probably from a '60's Guitar Player interview I read in the '80's.

What I'd like to know is what kind of raunchy guitar and rig he used on his version of Jambalaya on Blue Ridge Rangers.

Thanks for the link. John was responsible for Kustom selling a lot of amps back in the day. He still has his original.

Yeah when I met him he said tweed deluxe was his sound.

It's kind of a sub-topic here, but when I looked at the first photo above, I was struck by the curly cord.

It brought back a time in all our lives when the "curly cord" was the status symbol, and we each sought the time when we could buy our own. Meantime, we put up with "straight" cords, which were usually Radio Shack or Woolco specials at about $1.98 for a six footer.

Things sure have changed...

Curly cords were "the thing" before everyone started using foot pedal FX.

The first cord I bought (in '83) was half curly as no full curly were available, just because JF had one. It weighed a ton! I briefly had a 15 watt Kustom equivalent to a Princeton Reverb. Wonderful amp with choogle-licious tremolo but something blew out and it couldn't be fixed.

It's kind of a sub-topic here, but when I looked at the first photo above, I was struck by the curly cord.

It brought back a time in all our lives when the "curly cord" was the status symbol, and we each sought the time when we could buy our own. Meantime, we put up with "straight" cords, which were usually Radio Shack or Woolco specials at about $1.98 for a six footer.

Things sure have changed...

– Kevin Frye

i went to "boutique" curly cords back in the 2000s. they're much easier to deal with in terms of tangles and such.

Register Sign in to join the conversation