Vintage Gretsch Guitars

cool vintage Gretsch Ebay score!

Not the usual "new guitar day" post, but I thought ya'll might find this interesting. As a printer by trade I find it uber-cool!

This is a letterpress cut (plate) used in the mid-to-late 30s. Easily dated by the fact that the guitar depicted is the rare and short lived American Orchestra model 250.

It would be really cool to stumble across the ad that actually used this plate. I've compared it to several I've got archived from the period, but no dice.

Super cool. Did you ever conclusively determine what the hinged brass thing was?

That is very cool! Nice find!

Super cool. Did you ever conclusively determine what the hinged brass thing was?

– jqrm (Ryan M)

Nope... lots of guesses, but never got a definitive "It's a...".

Here's one of the few ads that feature the model 250. It's from the October 1936 issue of Metronome magazine.

Very nice! What size is it and when are you going to make some proofs with it? Is it mounted on wood? I am a printmaker and want to ink that up!

Very nice! What size is it and when are you going to make some proofs with it? Is it mounted on wood? I am a printmaker and want to ink that up!

– lx

I'm with you brother! I have a little hand-op letter press but the rollers are all dried up. So I'll have pull some proofs another way. The cut is quite heavy with the plate being 1/8 of copper plated lead on a 3/4" block of wood. The dimensions are about 2" x 2.5".

How can I help to make it happen? Maybe get some printed up on some thick 100% rag and sold off to GDP members as a fundraiser for Bax? I know there are many here would really go for that!

How can I help to make it happen? Maybe get some printed up on some thick 100% rag and sold off to GDP members as a fundraiser for Bax? I know there are many here would really go for that!

– lx

I have a local option I'll check into... but then I might be calling on you. Stay tuned...

This is so cool! That plate hasn't seen ink in almost 80 years! Yow!

awesome. just image all of the people who saw what that printed!!

Ooh, hand stamps for the Nashvile Roundup

Whatever you make with it, I want one!

Very cool find indeed.

I sent a photo of this letterpress cut to Fred Gretsch, and he responded that it looks a lot like the kind of stuff he tossed in a dumpster in the summer of '58 when he was asked to "clean out the storage room". Oy! I would love to know what else was in that storage room!

Nice find, Ed! I had to clean out a coup,e of old theaters and the stuff that wound up in the dumpster was heartbreaking. You can't keep everything, I guess. Where would you keep it? Still, I managed to hang onto a bit of it---some old Altec and Jensen speakers, and a few other things. One man's junk is another man's treasure.

Is there any way that can possibly used to print onto T-shirts? Rough is good in this type of authentic thing I'm thinking, I'd certainly buy a T if it was to help fund this site

The image is small (2"x 2.5") so maybe on the pocket of a pocket Tee? But you'd have to convert the graphic to screen print. No way direct imaging from the plate to the fabric would work.

Actually... I'm thinking business cards! It's perfect size, and leaves an inch at the bottom for the name, title and contact info.

In my original photo I can zoom way in on the details of this halftone etching. This type of printing is pretty basic. Raised areas print, and etched areas do not. Screened areas can me made to fool the eye into seeing gray shades, but vignettes (transitions from dark to light) are difficult in this process. The way they did the sunburst affect on the guitar is really cool!

As i worked in the printing industry too, i love this kind of stuff. Great find!

Great find, Ed!

I did a couple of quick flipped/negative-inverted images to give folks an idea of what the transfer would look like-- I really love the deco-font logo with the huge t-roof! :

For you couple of Print guys... I'm thinking this might be a 100 LPI screen... maybe 133.

This so cool, makes you wonder what else is out there...

Register Sign in to join the conversation