Other Players

Ever Heard of Magic Sam?

Listen to his album "West Side Soul"

Magic Sam is the best blues player never heard.

Lee

Listen to his album "West Side Soul"

– Jeff H

Sorry to step on your post Jeff H. Check your link.

Lee

Sorry to step on your post Jeff H. Check your link.

Lee

– Lee Erickson

Fixed, thanks Lee!

Magic Sam and Shakey Jake. (Magic Sam is using a Strat at this point in his career).

I learned about Magic Sam about 2 years ago. I constantly receive new names from players in the genre since I know nothing. Several times a year, I find new old treasures.

There is only one Nick Curran vinyl album. I had to have the limited silver foil letter cover. Took me years to find one. Had to buy two because record one was brand new but scratched. The album is spectacular.

CC Jerome told me about Nick Curran. Unfortunately it was about his death. I missed to see him live ever. Looking at his Facebook page was very sad as Nick thought he would live after his disease.

Magic Sam and Shakey Jake. (Magic Sam is using a Strat at this point in his career).

– Frank_NH

Killer. That sound you just can't get with a pick. That "bwap" on a note. Hooker got it, too.

Killer. That sound you just can't get with a pick. That "bwap" on a note. Hooker got it, too.

– charlie chitlins

Too true. I’m aspiring to that “bwap!” that comes with finger picking. My own version, that is.

I'm a pick guy, but I do quite a bit of hybrid picking and palm my pick for a solo or 2 a night...and a rhythm part or 2. I really like mixing it up...it really changes the approach. I certainly can't play as fast with just my thumb.

Too true. I’m aspiring to that “bwap!” that comes with finger picking. My own version, that is.

– Bob Howard

You’re dead right Bob! I wish I could play finger style get that bwap...great choice of word there! I play Looking Good claw style using a pick and middle finger. It works ok but you don’t get that lovely percussive snap and dampening syncopation as you’d get from thumbs and fingers working their mojo.

Too old to relearn unfortunately but I’m happy where I am

I picked up the finger-thumb thing while spending a year playing bass in a band. You can really control your sound with two or three digits and a palm and seems even more expressive on the guitar than the bass. I still use a pick when I need to be useful, like a gig (where I usually play rhythm and/or acoustic) but when I get in the zone, at home on my own, or with a buddy, the fingers are the way to what I think of as my tone, sonic nirvana.

Also, Vince, I am 64 this year and I try to learn new things all the time. It’s good for you.

Ha, I know what you mean Bob, I’m nearly 60 and trying to improve what I already know....or think I know! Great to keep learning of course

You are fortunate to have found your perfect style, both in music and art, that makes you and your audience happy.

Well heck, ever since this thread has came about I've been listening to Sam and much more Blues. I blame you, Richard and thanks.

Terrific photo of Magic Sam that just popped up on my Facebook feed.

Register Sign in to join the conversation