Other Players

Ever Heard of Magic Sam?

Love the old wallet on the snare trick !

Magic was well named. He and Earl Hooker are two Chicago guys often overlooked but were monsters in their own right.

WOW!!! Where has this guy been all my life??!!??!! I never heard of (or heard) him before! Thanks very much Richard -- I now know how I'll spend most of my day..... Amazon.com -- he I come!

I saw him at Fillmore West in 1968 opening up for a band, which I forgot, Maybe Eric Burdon, Maybe The Who debut?

Hey Geoff- Check this mailer/ flyer from the Filmore West. Wow, that must have been some show!!

Nick Curran used to close their show with it and there’s a great version on the tube but it’s at the end of an hours footage

– Vince_Ray

I miss Nick Curran.

"I have quite a few that are new on the radar in the "swing-blues" genre that are making me giddy. I am currently going thru some to see what CDs/ iTune downloads I want.....especially the ones that are great to play along to and learn new licks and technique."

Well.... spill it!!!! WHO?????? :)

Here’s Nick, it’s kinda messy but it kicks. Lookin Good starts around 39 minutes into the show. Wish he was still with us

– Vince_Ray

What guitar is that Nick is playing?

I always dug his vids from Miss Kitty's Saloon... check out that amp!

I don’t recall ever hearing of Magic Sam. Thanks Richard.

My fave tune of his -

Also, the tune in the OP reminds me a lot of John Lee Hooker's solo style.

Here is a full length concert performance.

Damn! That's some stuff! Digging that, Richard and welcome back.

Wish I were at home with a guitar right now, instead of stuck at work.

What guitar is that Nick is playing?

I always dug his vids from Miss Kitty's Saloon... check out that amp!

– ruger9

Ruger9, that's a King guitar. The same company that built double basses. I've heard they were supposed to make a Nick Curran signature model, but they went out of business, and Nick left us...

Anyway, when I was in Otis Grand's band, we used to play Magic Sam's "Looking Good". Otis pretty much nailed Sam's way of playing it. Fun times.

Anders

I unsuccessfully tried enclosing a picture of Nick playing the King (with a visible headstock) in my previous post. Trying again... ;)

Spike, those are great choices, I prefer my blues to be s bit more upbeat or cross over with rnb and rock and roll, great voice. And John Lee hooker, what’s a unique voice and style. Hypnotic

Glad to see folks here appreciating Nick Curran. Any of his albums are spectacular..,what a voice, and he had s way of making things sound original, even though you could spot his influences.

The small amp is by Vero, they’re still around but high on price. They’re in the Valco territory but some modern engineering under the hood

Plus he had a sticker on that green King guitar that I designed. Proud of that as I loved everything about the guy

Plus he had a sticker on that green King guitar that I designed. Proud of that as I loved everything about the guy

– Vince_Ray

Was it green? Depending on the lighting, looks like green or gold flake...

Is this it?

Also, the tune in the OP reminds me a lot of John Lee Hooker's solo style.

– spike

I digging that.

You won't believe this, but the guy that supplied me with my tire repair supplies was named John Hooker. White dude. So, you know, every time he came around I called him John LEE Hooker.

What will always amaze me is how guys like John Lee, Magic Sam, et al, kept that ungodly groove going, no matter what.

Yep, green sparkle finish

– Vince_Ray

I meant is that your sticker?

That’s the sticker Ruger9 with a he skull and crossed switchblades. Posterpop made them in the States a good few years ago now

That’s the sticker Ruger9 with a he skull and crossed switchblades. Posterpop made them in the States a good few years ago now

Register Sign in to join the conversation