Other Players

Ever Heard of Magic Sam?

I shared this on my Facebook page. I have intimated before that I have led a rather sheltered life, as far as music is concerned, for almost 30 years after I got married. I pretty much lost out on everything in the music scene from about the mid 60's to the early to mid 90's. That's a long way to say I've never heard of Magic Sam, but good God a mighty, this dude has a groove, and a signature lick that will make you jump out of your chair. It did me anyway.

Billy Zoom said Sam is playing Earl Hookers cheap Les Paul knock off here. I love this.

I wish Bear was here to hear this. He'd dig it.

Any Blues guy from the greater Tri-State Area (Chicago) knows of Magic Sam. I'd bet Bear knew all about him. The Blues Brothers do one of his tunes---"Sweet Home Chicago"! He went thru some hard times---deserted from the Army, did hard time because of it, and died of a heart attack at 32.

I saw your post on fb and loved what he was doing. Rocking the finger picking, and making it look way too easy.

Love it! And have been playing it for a while but to be honest...nobody gets the feel and vibe that Magic Sam does. There’s a few tutorials on YouTube. As crowbone says, he makes it look easy

Any Blues guy from the greater Tri-State Area (Chicago) knows of Magic Sam. I'd bet Bear knew all about him. The Blues Brothers do one of his tunes---"Sweet Home Chicago"! He went thru some hard times---deserted from the Army, did hard time because of it, and died of a heart attack at 32.

– wabash slim

That's terrible. Chet in talking about Lenny Breau after his passing, talked about how he was such a gifted musician, but that's all he knew. He didn't even know how to take care of himself. Sam may been similar, and only lived to play guitar. Maybe nothing else was important.

You're right. Bear probably knew about him. He could have laid down a bass groove for him that wouldn't quit.

Love it! And have been playing it for a while but to be honest...nobody gets the feel and vibe that Magic Sam does. There’s a few tutorials on YouTube. As crowbone says, he makes it look easy

– Vince_Ray

Yeah, some cats got it, and some ain't. He's in a zone. I love just watching his eyes as he plays. You can tell, he's in heaven.

Yeah, sometimes it bugs me when a smarty pants starts his video saying ‘this is how to play Lookin Good’. No it isn’t.

The dynamics in his right hand are unbelievable

Thanks for this post....My favorite posts are the ones that make me want to immediately pick up a Guitar, which I did here, I followed the post to a lesson as Vince mentioned- Hell of a groove, and a blast to play. I had never even heard of this guy...Scuse me now, I'm headed out to the Garage to plug in

Thanks for posting. Yup, Magic Sam was the real deal. Great stuff!

I know of him through Johnny Winter who didn't necessarily claim him as an influence but I wouldn't be surprised if he would because of the thumb & forefinger picking style.

The clip Richard provided reminds me a lot of Johnny's "Mean Town Blues".

Richard is right on though as Sam had a real low down groove that just seemed to flow from him. Great post Richard!

Nick Curran used to close their show with it and there’s a great version on the tube but it’s at the end of an hours footage

Here’s Nick, it’s kinda messy but it kicks. Lookin Good starts around 39 minutes into the show. Wish he was still with us

I hope you guys will forgive my exuberance, but I am finding out that most of you guys already knew about him. It’s a new discovery for me, and I’m a litttle giddy.

It just does me good to see anyone so in love with what they are doing.

Makes me want to get on the phone and get the band back together again.

Nah, that’s cool Richard. I wish more folks would find this, I couldn’t believe I hadn’t come across it either when I first saw it. And I had the exact same reaction...grab the guitar!

I think Jimmy Vaughan and Bobby Radcliffe apprenticed with him. Or were, at least, followed him around and were very heavily influenced by him.

Some albums on delmark inc West Side Soul.

He toured in the UK as part of a blues package in early 60s and me and my brother enjoyed seeing him along with other greats , quite unique era.

I think Jimmy Vaughan and Bobby Radcliffe apprenticed with him. Or were, at least, followed him around and were very heavily influenced by him.

– charlie chitlins

Chris Pestalozzi, aka Valentine Slim, with whom I played drums until last year, was a friend and band mate of Bobby Radcliffe in the The Yarbs back in the 60s. They were big Magic Sam guys.

Gotta love Magic Sam!

Love Magic Sam. Not just a great guitar player, his singing could send shivers down your spine too.

Magic Sam and Otis Rush, and Buddy Guy before he tried to prove that he was Hendrix Sr....the Cobra records guys, second generation of Chicago blues. The proper way to play a strat, those three guys.

I hope you guys will forgive my exuberance, but I am finding out that most of you guys already knew about him. It’s a new discovery for me, and I’m a litttle giddy.

It just does me good to see anyone so in love with what they are doing.

Makes me want to get on the phone and get the band back together again.

– Richard Hudson

That's the beauty of it all Richard.....finding artists that hit you like a lightning bolt regardless of how old they are, when they played, what they play.

I have quite a few that are new on the radar in the "swing-blues" genre that are making me giddy. I am currently going thru some to see what CDs/ iTune downloads I want.....especially the ones that are great to play along to and learn new licks and technique. I've got a lot of learning to do!!!!

That's Earl Hooker's Univox Les Paul copy. The were $199.95 at the Hollywood Guitar Center in the late-60's. Sam had a red one on layaway when he died. They had bolt-on necks, but they played and sounded pretty good. I used to see Magic Sam and Shakey Jake at least once a week. Shakey detailed cars at the Chevy dealer right up the street from the GC.

thanks for posting the video, Richard. it's the first I've heard of him, too.

I love "Magic Sam"!

I have several of his, archive, CD's ,, : )

I saw him at Fillmore West in 1968 opening up for a band, which I forgot, Maybe Eric Burdon, Maybe The Who debut?

Anyway, He was relatively unknown or new out here back then ,, but his legacy sure lives on now ,,,

Also, some of those pawnshop Les Paul knockoffs can be great guitars with their own personality! :)

Best kept secrets ,,,

I recently discoverd that when I got my Wine Red "Hondo" Les Paul for $149. 00 :)

I like it better then most of those expensive Les Pauls of today , $, Eg: like you see at Guitar Center and the like ,,

Register Sign in to join the conversation