Other Players

Eric Johnson myth

In this month's Guitarist magazine, Eric Johnson tries to clear up the battery myth. He claims he changed batteries once in a pedal, thought it sounded different and since then has used Duracell batteries to be consistent. He's never done a blind listening, A/B'd batteries, etc...

My younger brother (plays guitar in a Rolling Stones tribute band) has known Eric since high school, and still hangs out with him from time to time. My brother has told me a story about Eric saying he could tell the difference between batteries several times. Having spent 40 years working for a high-tech electronics company, I just don't believe there is a hearable difference. Just more guitar woo, like most guitar beliefs. If Eric is now saying he changed once and there was a difference, then that's a bit different than the story I've heard, but more believable.

Stories do tend to take on a life of their own after a while, sometimes becoming unrecognizable.

Mike

The other battery was probably an Energizer. That's would explain why this myth keeps going...and going...and...

I can hear a huge difference when I exchange the dead batteries for some fresh ones in my pedals.

I only have broken pedals, so I use dead batteries...

I'd work in the theater's attic and gridiron hanging mic's with an NPR radio engineer preparing to record a symphony or chamber group or such. Stickler. Odd. Demanding. PITA. He apparently had dog ears.

I use a BOSS GT8 power supply with my GT100 for a more warm, vintage tone.

I can tell an old, half-dead battery from a fresh one. But that's not much of a feat, now is it?

Doyle Dykes is good friends with Eric and he talks about Eric's uncanny ability to hear things that most folks can't. Most things get stretched out of proportion, but Eric does have a unique ability.

I can't find any reason why I know this guy.

Is he like Kreskin, a battery mentalist?

I just use the ole lick a 9 volt trick.

Works every time.

Works every time.

– crowbone

Works every time.

– Crowbone

This is Eric

Eric Johnson gets a pass with this kind of thing but I think the majority of players (myself included) should be more concerned about their playing! I've played a lot of gigs and have yet to have someone come up to me after a set saying "Dude, killer set man! Just a tip though, your tone seems to be lacking something.. you may want to start with reconsidering the brand of 9V battery you're using."

I can't hear the differences between batteries, but what I can say is that a Maestro Fuzz clone circuit will sound more acurate with a 1,5 v battery rather than the common 9v one.

Register Sign in to join the conversation