Other Players

Elvis on the Gretsch Playing “Little Sister”

...with James Burton and crew. Some sorta funny in studio high lights, but many shots of Elvis playing/holding a Gent? Fun to watch, nonetheless.

Saw all that footage and the whole movie "Elvis the way it was" on TCM on demand last week. Probably saw it in the 1980's but that was a long time ago. Some good stuff and some crazy stuff.

Here's Elvis with his '66 Gent, serial number 80736. This very guitar was displayed in Elvis' trophy room at Graceland a few years ago. My Gent is identical to E's, but 311 guitars newer (81047).

I like that EV666, but that didn't look like The Annex Studio!

Microphone of the beast

thats an EV667 I thought? Those were grey and came with an inline preamp.
The EV666 was near black in dark grey color

All EV 66X mikes were dynamic, no preamps needed. Great low end response to those beasties. I had a 664A stand mount. A few different colors were available, from black/grey to chrome. My Dad worked at EV for awhile, and we lived 15 minutes from the factory. I worked at a radio station 5 miles from there, so we were loaded with EV gear. I'd really like to find an early (working or not) EV mike built in South Bend IN, before they moved to Buchannan MI.

I’d love to get my hands on a 1st Gen 664 in brushed chrome. If anyone has one laying around looking for a home hit me up...

I may be in the minority but I absolutely love Elvis' guitar playing. Elvis playing guitar on the '68 Comeback Special was a big influence on me as a kid. I studied and still study his playing and singing. It's a lifetime pursuit. He had no drummer on his early recordings. He created that amazing feel that nobody has been able to duplicate. As much as I love Scotty Moore's playing, which is a lot, I'm almost positive that Elvis' early recordings would have been successful even if it was just him alone singing and playing guitar. I really wish Elvis would have kept his inner fire burning throughout his life.

IIRC that Gent was for sale about twenty years ago for the princely sum of $10,000.

I may be in the minority but I absolutely love Elvis' guitar playing. Elvis playing guitar on the '68 Comeback Special was a big influence on me as a kid. I studied and still study his playing and singing. It's a lifetime pursuit. He had no drummer on his early recordings. He created that amazing feel that nobody has been able to duplicate. As much as I love Scotty Moore's playing, which is a lot, I'm almost positive that Elvis' early recordings would have been successful even if it was just him alone singing and playing guitar. I really wish Elvis would have kept his inner fire burning throughout his life.

– BuddyHollywood

Yes and no. None of the 4-5 people that made up those early Sun recordings (Elvis Presley, Scotty Moore, Bill Black, Sam Phillips, and latterly D.J. Fontana) were particularly expert in their field, but what they made was so much more than the sum of their own parts.

thats an EV667 I thought? Those were grey and came with an inline preamp.
The EV666 was near black in dark grey color

– TheNocturneBrain

They came in different colours. Mine looks like this: They're never shiny though. Great for kick drum too...variable D!

They came in different colours. Mine looks like this: They're never shiny though. Great for kick drum too...variable D!

– Billy Zoom

My 664A was chrome, but the grey/black mikes EV made were meant for TV use as they wouldn't reflect light and screw up the cameras. The matte tan worked that way as well.

– BuddyHollywood

I'm right there with ya Buddy! There was a special style that really got my imagination rolling. Like Deke said about not being experts in their field but it really made great music!

I'm right there with ya Buddy! There was a special style that really got my imagination rolling. Like Deke said about not being experts in their field but it really made great music!

– NJDevil

Yes!

I didn't mean to diminish Sam Phillips, Scotty, Bill and DJ's contributions to the success and feel of their recordings but I do feel that Elvis was the gravity of those recordings. He was the Crown Electric truck driver that was now driving the music.

– Billy Zoom

If you want to sell any extras lemme know. I want that exact model sooo bad, my chrome 664 w the built in clip looks like a pistol

Register Sign in to join the conversation