Other Players

El Twanguero / Diego Garcia in Guitar Player magazine

I have been a fan of this guy for years now, I forget how I discovered him, but he's a stellar player/instrumentalist and I highly recommend checking him out if you haven't. He's not really in American markets, he is more Spain and South America, but most of his stuff is findable, either on itunes or CD Baby.

Paul Pigat knows him and has done some shows with him, and posted on him here.

It's the first American press I've seen on him. Current issue of Guitar Player, Jan 2019

Here's a couple screenshots... best I could do...

...and some vid for good measure...

(this is the video I stumbled on that made me go "WHO IS THIS GUY???")

BTW- know know those new Les Paul ES "thinline" models that came out recently? He's the reason they exist... at least the ones with the P90s and Bigsby. He told Gibson custom shop he'd like a "lighter ES-295" and the new LP is the result- he got the first one, and they made it a production model (it's not a signature model, but he is the reason it exists)

Cheers for posting, his playing is such a joy.

Great player in a retro traditionalist vein - with an embrace of modern tech, using a looper to build parts. That's one way to get a compatible accompanist. Les Paul-like in that way...a high-tech jazzer.

I hadn't seen the LP ES. Great design. Finally, a Gibson to want...

Very nice and like Tim stated above, a modern traditionalist. Great to hear a wonderful ES295 again. Beautiful tone.

One of my favourite players. Buying his CDs ain't cheap, but worth every Euro

"Finally, a Gibson to want..."

Right???????

Altho I wouldn't sneeze at one o' them Gibson Johnny A models either....

Finally, a Gibson to want...

Seriously? I can think of more than twenty different Gibson I'd want. Not that I can afford any of them, but that's a different matter.

Particular OLD Gibsons, sure. But it's very theoretical wanting. If I could afford those, there'd be other stuff I'd have first.

And it would all be vanity and self-indulgence. I'd really have no musical purpose for vintage jazz guitars. Maybe I could get excited about the right late 50s/early 60s thin hollow (no centerplank) with P90s.

But there are buyers way up at the front of the line with the skill set to really make use of one and/or the ready money to buy without blinking a budgetary eye.

oh yeah, I'd love an old ES-125, ES-150, ES-350....

I have been a fan of this guy for years now, I forget how I discovered him, but he's a stellar player/instrumentalist and I highly recommend checking him out if you haven't. He's not really in American markets, he is more Spain and South America, but most of his stuff is findable, either on itunes or CD Baby.

Paul Pigat knows him and has done some shows with him, and posted on him here.

It's the first American press I've seen on him. Current issue of Guitar Player, Jan 2019

Here's a couple screenshots... best I could do...

...and some vid for good measure...

(this is the video I stumbled on that made me go "WHO IS THIS GUY???")

– ruger9

Guys like this make me want to learn how to play guitar

I've accepted that it's too late for me.

Particular OLD Gibsons, sure. But it's very theoretical wanting. If I could afford those, there'd be other stuff I'd have first.

And it would all be vanity and self-indulgence. I'd really have no musical purpose for vintage jazz guitars. Maybe I could get excited about the right late 50s/early 60s thin hollow (no centerplank) with P90s.

But there are buyers way up at the front of the line with the skill set to really make use of one and/or the ready money to buy without blinking a budgetary eye.

– Proteus

Tim, you should check out ES225s.

By vintage Gibson standards they're still relatively affordable and they tick every box you mention.

I recently bought a 1956 two pickup sunburst and I'm loving it. Everything I always hoped an ES330 would be and more.

The really interesting and barely documented thing about them - besides the astonishing 50s P90s and supremely comfortable neck profile - is that there's a solid block of maple glued to the top between the braces.

Consequently it sounds like a bona fide hollow body but sustains more like a solid body or trestle braced Gretsch.

Honestly, I think they're one of the 'sleepers' in the vintage guitar market and originals can occasionally be found for less than the cost of Memphis reissues - around the same price as a Custom Shop Fender or Gretsch. Not cheap, but not crazy expensive either...

The guy’s got some talent there!

FWIW I like old Gibsons too. A Johnny A is also on the list.

Thanks to one of your earlier posts I'm now a confirmed fan. Thanks for the new posting!

Register Sign in to join the conversation