Other Players

Eddie Cochran Rehearsal Space

thanks for your post. Where is the water now ?

– DIDIER D

I don't think there's been water up in Griffith Park for years...it's all dirt now.

Howdy guys. Pardon my intrusion but a link on the Rockabilly HOF site led me here. Then I started looking at your pics of Eddie's home town, etc. I was/am absolutely riveted to these pics. Visiting all of Eddie's spots in SoCal is on my bucket list. Thanks for posting them.

Welcome to the GDP Matty. There's a huge appreciation around these parts for Eddie Cochran so you're in the right place.

Way cool thread you got going, NitroG.

Howdy guys. Pardon my intrusion but a link on the Rockabilly HOF site led me here. Then I started looking at your pics of Eddie's home town, etc. I was/am absolutely riveted to these pics. Visiting all of Eddie's spots in SoCal is on my bucket list. Thanks for posting them.

– HepCatMatty

Welcome Matty.

good to see my old stomping grounds in regards to one of our home town heroes, thanx for the Legion Hall pics, glad that bit of his glorious history survives.

Had a great visit this afternoon with the wonderful folk who manage and run the American Legion Hall in Bell Gardens, CA.

This is the hall that Eddie Cochran used as his rehearsal space early in his career when he lived just two blocks from here on Priory Street.

– Wheelgrinder

NitroG, Hotrod Trio hosted, and Gretsch sponsored a 78th bday party event there this weekend. I got to meet Mr. Guybo, and then shortly after got to sing Jeanie Jeanie onstage there. It was an insane moment! Fortunately I was on early enough, I didnt completely panic and chicken out w the likes of Big Sandy & Kid Ramos, Tim Polecat taking the stage later on in the show. I'll post some vid soon.

https://www.facebook.com/ph...

Very cool Nitro, I've probably driven by that place dozens of time and never realized what it was--I'll definitely drop by sometime.....Thanks very much for Sharing !!

Great Thread Nitro, once again enlightening Us with some great Rock N Roll folklore and history. It amazes me that some Canadian Cat comes all the way down to my backyard and teaches me a thing or 2 about Rock Icons from my area.

I knew Eddie Cochran was from My parts but never really knew just how close I was to all this great Rock N Roll history. I lived maybe 1-1/2 miles from this Legion Hall and as a kid I must have ridden my bicycle past it A 1000 times and never noticed it,( I had a Girlfriend who lived on Eastern & Clara St.)of course there was no Eddie posters out front like there is now.

Think I'm going to have to stop by soon and take a look around.

btw,, That Drag racer guy John Force is also from Bell Gardens.

NitroG, Hotrod Trio hosted, and Gretsch sponsored a 78th bday party event there this weekend. I got to meet Mr. Guybo, and then shortly after got to sing Jeanie Jeanie onstage there. It was an insane moment! Fortunately I was on early enough, I didnt completely panic and chicken out w the likes of Big Sandy & Kid Ramos, Tim Polecat taking the stage later on in the show. I'll post some vid soon.

https://www.facebook.com/ph...

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™ (actually loves hippies)

There.... right there in the far right with the green Gretsch shirt.... that's me!

Sorry I meant left... nothing wrong with me

I so wish I'd been able to make it to this awesome show Tavo. I'm on vacation in Europe right now so not as feasible to get there as a hop down the west coast from Vancouver

And you got to meet Guybo! That's something I'd love to do one day. As one of Eddie's best friends and his longtime bassist you can't get much closer to meeting Eddie himself.

"Jeanie Jeanie Jeanie" is one of my favorite of Eddie's rockers. I'm sure you rocked it out of the park

It would gave been nice to meet you too Rattlecat. Glad you enjoyed the show!

this is my first day on the forum and my first post I'm from the U.K and I'm off to L.A in a few days so will be doing the rounds on these historic Eddie Cochran sites..... the Griffith park photos of Eddie on sitting on the rock and picnic table are in what part of Griffith park?....after a bit of detective work it looks like fern dell....is this correct? ....any help would be greatly appreciated. i will be visiting the grave site as well.....as a newbie i will try to post some pics when i get back

It is too bad that Sean's photos from Griffith Park are no longer there. They appear to be casualties of the PhotoBucket fiasco.

Wheelgrinder, thanks for bringing this Eddie Cochran content up. I knew he lived at Bell Gardens at one time but researched it only to find his house was demolished to make room for something else. I wanted to drive by his house but it's gone so I didn't go. I should swing by the rehearsal space at the American Legion Hall since it's there and they have some mementos to him there.

I wanted to go by the American Legion Hall in El Monte because Ritchie Valens had played there but that was torn down so I am a bit late on that. Interesting thing is that I knew a guy who saw Valens at the Hall back in 1958 I believe the year was. I lost contact with the guy but it was cool to meet a guy who was at a Ritchie Valens show. Through my research I see that Jerry Lee Lewis had played the Hall as well as Rosie and the Originals.

I should drive by his Buena Park home -

This was my favorite picture on the wall. Two of Eddie's bass players...his best friend and first bass player Connie 'Guybo' Smith who played upright bass on all of Eddie's early recordings and toured with him. He switched to electric bass around 1957/58.

And the late Dave Shriver who was bass player for Dick D'Agostin and the Swingers who backed Eddie on the televised 'Town Hall Party' show and then with The Kelly Four who recorded and toured with Eddie in 1959.

– Wheelgrinder

It's Connie Smith on the Town Hall Party not Shriver

It's Connie Smith on the Town Hall Party not Shriver

– DIDIER D

Yep, we discussed this last year. The only surviving footage of Eddie on the Town Hall Party has Connie Smith (Guybo) on bass...but Shriver also played with Eddie on another appearance on Town Hall Party in 1959 as well as most of the other televised shows and live dates that Eddie played throughout 1959.

Register Sign in to join the conversation