Other Players

Eddie Cochran - Gibson J200N

...one of the few photos of Eddie playing anything other than his 1955 Gretsch 6120 or his brother Bill's Martin D18. This is from a 1957 spread in the teen magazine "DIG". No idea who owned the guitar...most likely just a prop for the photo shoot.

...and another shot in colour. That's Ed "Kookie" Byrnes smashing up the floor.

Eddie did play a Gibson L4CN for a while with the Cochran Brothers before he got his 6120, but I've never seen him photographed with another Gibson other than the one in the pic from "DIG".

Since I'm posting pics of Eddie with guitars other than his Gretsch I may as well add the 1944 Kay that his brother Bill gave to him and was Eddie's first guitar. This photo was taken in 1953 when Eddie was 14 or had just turned 15 years old. Anybody know the exact model of that Kay?

I forgot about this pic of Eddie with Jack Scott in Cincinnati in November 1958 where he's playing what looks to be a Gibson. Not sure what model.

Great archival pix -- DIG magazine... well, it's before my time.

And just for the heck of it here's Eddie with his brother Bill's Martin D18 in a promo shot foir "Untamed Youth" in 1957. That's Mamie Van Doren on the snare. Eddie used this guitar to record "Summertime Blues" the following year.

Wheelgrinder, great pictures of different guitars that Eddie used! Here's another rare on from 1955 wich shows Eddie perform live with a guitar that has to be the Gibson L4CN.

Fabulous photos! He always knew how to dress, didn't he?

...one of the few photos of Eddie playing anything other than his 1955 Gretsch 6120 or his brother Bill's Martin D18. This is from a 1957 spread in the teen magazine "DIG". No idea who owned the guitar...most likely just a prop for the photo shoot.

– Wheelgrinder

The blond girl is Yvonne Lime

Since I'm posting pics of Eddie with guitars other than his Gretsch I may as well add the 1944 Kay that his brother Bill gave to him and was Eddie's first guitar. This photo was taken in 1953 when Eddie was 14 or had just turned 15 years old. Anybody know the exact model of that Kay?

– Wheelgrinder

with a DeArmond pickup on it

Register Sign in to join the conversation