Other Players

Eddie Cochran 1960 UK Tour

Sixty years have passed since Eddie Cochran's UK tour.

We're a teensy bit late getting started, so let's catch up on the timeline so far.

8th January Eddie recorded three songs at Gold Star in Los Angeles- Cut Across Shorty, Cherished Memories and Three Steps to Heaven. 10th January Eddie travelled by air to London Heathrow airport, trading the balmy blue skies of California for a bitter grey London in the grip of winter.

11th January Eddie attends a press junket at Decca to promote the tour and plug his latest single, Hallelujah I Love Her So.

January 12th-13th Eddie commences rehearsals for two 'Boy Meets Girls' television appearances to be transmitted on January 16th and 23rd. The show is hosted by Marty Wilde with the Vernons Girls.

Quiet at the back...

Hallelujah I Love her So was released in the UK on the London label.

Fantastic. Thanks, Ade!

Great thread! Thanks for the detailed info. 'Hallelujah I love her so' is on our setlist, as it is such a cool song. Looking forward to the next posts, keep it coming!

In the audience for one of the very last shows -- it is said-- was a very young George Harrison and Paul McCartney, just taking it all in.

January 14th-15th Eddie worked these two days recording for Boy Meets Girls.

Jack Good is seen here on the right, wearing glasses.

Joe Brown looks like a school-boy in this picture. I just looked up his age... he was still 18 at that time!

Wow...... Great thread and wonderful information, ade..... Thank you!!

Glad you're enjoying the thread so far folks. I'm going to put tomorrow's updates in tonight, if you'll forgive the conceit. Explanation- I'll be away on the road myself.

If anybody has further information or corrections, please do add them into the conversation.

January 16th

Jack Good commented later on working with Eddie Cochran, "He had a very strong visual sense of how to present himself. He was in control. He would always know how he should look to make an impact and he would have made a wonderful actor. He was not your archetypal rock 'n' roller"

January 16th-23rd Eddie returned to London, likely staying at a flat in Jermyn St which had been requisitioned for his and Gene Vincent's use.

For atmosphere, a daylight drive around Soho in 59/60 to give a flavour of the surroundings at the time-

What a fantastic thread, Ade! Great idea.

That Soho loop, looks like it’s driving down Greek St on to Old Compton St back up Frith St and round Soho Square. It’s amazing, and somewhat surprising to see all the cars parked around Soho Square, and so many Consul/Zodiac/Zephyrs! Lovely to see how grimy it all was before London got physically cleaned up in the 80s. Brings back so many memories of such a large chunk of my life working in Soho.

It’s a great idea to chart Eddie’s day to day happenings during his visit to the UK, I hadn’t realised just how early on in the year it started. So much detail, absolutely fascinating.

good research ade...excellent thread

and remember eddie's influence on uk players...he supposedly taught joe brown the "secret" of moving the strings up and using a slinky E...giving him a plain g!...joe ran with it..and taught it to his friends...amongst which were the early beatles!!..and everybody else!!

that influence continued right down to our old friend darrell higham!

and hopefully beyond!

cheers

Great thread, I always think it was a magical time for rock and roll, the beginning of what was to come with London and the swinging 60s. Plus its an honour to have been part of that world around Soho u til recent times. RIP the 12 Bar, I think it died a little since then. And the Astorias demise

Vince, I thought of your shop on Manette Street when the car in the film kept passing the Pillars of Hercules!

Vince, I thought of your shop on Manette Street when the car in the film kept passing the Pillars of Hercules!

– noggsly

Blimey noggsly! Yes, shame about that shop. Me business partners were twats. And yes, the Pillars. Spent many a foggy lunch time in there... and the Ship, the Blue Posts, the Salisbury, and not forgetting the Fox. Think we all thought it'd last forever

It seems like another world. I stopped working in Soho about 9 years ago then went back for a brief stint 4 years ago. It had really changed...so many new “luxury developments”... with nobody living in them. Bloody “CityBoys” all over the place... Berwick Street market was super clean and sanitised..the chippy had closed down..It was like a theme park built on the old place... or maybe I just got old!

Sorry to derail the thread Ade, looking forward to Eddie’s next engagement...

Far from being a derail, I really do believe that one of the loveliest legacies of the 1960 Cochran/Vincent tour for British rock 'n' roll fans is how familiar and local many of the key locations are. Great contributions, folks.

January 23rd Saturday, 6:30pm, the second episode of Boy Meets Girls which Eddie had recorded the previous week is transmitted.

Did somebody just say The Pillars of Hercules? A welcome break on the arduous journey from Poland Street to Charing Cross during my years working in Soho. Other pleasant divergences (mostly record shops or guitar shops) included HMV on Oxford Street (Amy Winehouse solo on the shop's 6pm soundstage) and Tower Records on Piccadilly Circus (John Hammond Jnr live on their 6pm show -- fantastic). Happy days.

This is a great thread Ade. I never saw Eddie Cochran live, only the tv shows and the printed programme, a souvenir treasured by the elder brother of a pal of mine. On the 'menu' was Georgie Fame, described as 'the great new singing pianist'!

Vince, was yours the shop opposite the side entrance to Foyles, just by the alleyway up to the Borderline? I was in there one day when a bloke came in and he and the guy manning the shop greeted each other like old mates. One asked the other if he was still gigging. The answer was 'yes, with the Crazy World of Arthur Brown'. A stunned silence followed! He'd just done a festival in, I think, Holland -- Arthur Brown and Yoko! Repeat of stunned silence plus a sharp intake of breath! Maybe one of these guys was you.

Vince, was yours the shop opposite the side entrance to Foyles, just by the alleyway up to the Borderline? I was in there one day when a bloke came in and he and the guy manning the shop greeted each other like old mates. One asked the other if he was still gigging. The answer was 'yes, with the Crazy World of Arthur Brown'. A stunned silence followed! He'd just done a festival in, I think, Holland -- Arthur Brown and Yoko! Repeat of stunned silence plus a sharp intake of breath! Maybe one of these guys was you.

– Dave_K

I do vaguely remember that Dave. It may have been me, I know the guy who played for Arthur Brown then worked in a shop in Denmark Street, or owned it. My shop used to be owned by Bryants. Good ol' days!

Register Sign in to join the conversation