Other Players

Dang — it’s Marty Stuart

He packed the place tonight -- voice in fine form, tearing up it up on mando and of course all over the Clarence B-bender. Superlatives in fine form. New-ish bass player apparently is grandson of Earl Scruggs. I thought he had more going on upright than electric but still fine work. Marty was playing thru a silver panel Deluxe Reverb and Kenny Vaughn had some different Fender ... couldn't see what it was. And yes, they were LOUD.

Did Kenny break out the Rick 12 string for "Time Don't Wait" or any Tom Petty tribute?

I would love to see these guys. Great musicians.

Country/Bluegrass at it's best. My 2YO grandson loves Marty Stuart. We watch YouTube videos all the time. The band's name, "The Fabulous Superlatives" is well deserved. I'd guess the loud is all PA. Marty uses a Deluxe Reverb, Cousin Kenny a Princeton Reverb. Bottom end comes from a Bassman from what I can tell. The acoustic bluegrass tunes are often performed with only one mike---truly old school. Marty has a shortish video about "Clarence" that's well worth watching.

Still haven't figured out the ever present scarf tho.

Marty and the guys are a "must see." An entertaining show every time, with class and talent.

A shot from KC last year..........................."Way out West"

His bass player, Chris Scruggs, is a great musician. I follow his career through being friends with him on facebook (we have a mutual acquaintance).

On a related note, I'd love to see Marty & the FS at some point!

One of the tightest live bands I've ever seen, with some of the best harmonies (a capella) I've ever heard.

Did Kenny break out the Rick 12 string for "Time Don't Wait" or any Tom Petty tribute?

– beatbyrd

Yes, he did have the Rick 12 for that song and one other. Nothing about Petty. He also had an RS guitars double neck that I have to find more about. Still, great show -- I was pumped up

Chris Scruggs has been with Marty for a few years. Yes, his grandfather is the legendary Earl Scruggs, his mother is Gail Davies, a well known country artist and songwriter.

Chris Scruggs has been with Marty for a few years. Yes, his grandfather is the legendary Earl Scruggs, his mother is Gail Davies, a well known country artist and songwriter.

– Deed Eddy

Hope he's half the gent that his grandpa is said to have been.

Chris Scruggs is a very talented musician, he's one of the few guys left who play traditional non-pedal steel and he's great at it, and he's a hell of guitar player as well - fine singer too.

They certainly nail those harmonies with aplomb!

– Deed Eddy

What I failed to mention that Gail Davies was in the audience and came up and did this Hank Snow song that just destroyed the place. This was in the more acoustic set w/ Marty on mando, Kenny on acoustic guitar.

As you will remember we saw them 1/17/18 at the Troubadour. They were superlative! Lovely fellows, too.

shout out..to old fab super bassist/singer..."apostle" paul martin!! he was great

left marty to work with family in martin family circus

cheers

I saw them in French Lick, IN on St Patrick's Day last year, one of the best live shows I've ever seen, also featured Connie Smith and her band.

Saw Marty and the band a few weeks back. This is what country music is all about. These guys are great musicians at the top of their game.

I saw them at Mountain Jam in Hunter, NY last June. Next to seeing Tom Petty, they were one of the biggest highlights of the festival. Great band! Great performers! Great entertainers!

"Bluegrass Underground" had them on recently...that Show should run an hour, 30 minutes is a bit short.

I missed them when they played Charleston Music Hall...

Bluegrass Underground is a great show, and, as you said, far too short. I've always wondered what the sound is like in there for the audience. The TV feed sounds great, but the echo/reverb in the cave must be intense.

What I failed to mention that Gail Davies was in the audience and came up and did this Hank Snow song that just destroyed the place. This was in the more acoustic set w/ Marty on mando, Kenny on acoustic guitar.

– DCBirdMan

Gail Davies is Chris’s mom. He basically grew up backstage at the opry. Unfortunately he didn’t have as good a relationship with his famous grandfather, and never actually met him until shortly before his death.

Just made a separate post that there will be a tour beginning next month of Marty and the Fab Supers touring with Roger McGuinn and Chris Hillman, doing songs from Sweetheart of the Rodeo and probably other Byrds songs.

I met Marty once. Our band was nominated for an award at the British Country Music Awards 1994 and Marty was there to present one (I think) and we met him back stage. A very nice guy.

They did a “West Coast” tour a couple months back with Deke Dickerson opening. I was all excited until I saw that it was only the length of California — no Oregon or Washington dates. Bummer.

Register Sign in to join the conversation