Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Monkees gear info

http://www.monkeesconcerts....

I guess this site is well known, but I noticed where it talks about the stolen blond Gretsch 12 -- it states the guitar has been found but 'at a price'. Anyone know more about this?

The guitar turned up on Ebay in the early 2000's. The seller, based in Mass., was looking for $15k. When I asked the seller how this guitar came into his possession he stated that "Nesmith had sold off a bunch of his Monkee gear in the 70's" to a music shop and he acquired it through said shop. I don't think it was widely known at the time that the guitar was stolen. When the original listing expired the guitar was relisted, but by that time I think Nesmith got wind of it and the guitar promptly disappeared. I had saved the photos of the guitar on my old 386 computer. I should see if they are retrievable somehow.

Would be cool to find those pix. The s ite also states that the Davy Gretsch bass discussed here last week truly dissapeared.

Hmm...I don't know that about Davy's Gretsch bass. In one of the Monkee episode commentaries I believe Davy stated he still owned that bass. I know from speaking with Peter Tork that his Guild Jetstar bass had been stolen, which he said "was a shame because I paid for it out of my own pocket".

The site states he gave it away, got it back, and then something ... but really, who knows? The thread last week had pix suggesting there were 2 of them.

amazing the amount of theft these fellows have seen. Sad...

Anyone remember The Monkees episode from '67 entitled "Find The Monkees"? The Four Martians, The Foreign Agents, The Jolly Green Giants and The Monkees were all running around an audition with every late '60s Gretsch guitar imaginable. So many cool Gretsches in one spot made me freak!

And Nesmith had a Viking for a while?

I never saw that site before. Thanks

There's an interview somewhere in which Stephen Stills remarks that Nesmith's 12 string was the greatest he ever played.

Interesting in one photo Mike appears to have the 'Gretsch' name masked over with tape on the pick guard of his blonde 12-string. Makes me wonder if he was 'negotiating' with them at the time of the photoshoot!

NezJr,

Please get the old computer up and running and retrieve the info on that eBay listing!

NezJr,

Please get the old computer up and running and retrieve the info on that eBay listing!

– RichB555

Concur!

And Nesmith had a Viking for a while?

– DCBirdMan

The Viking seemed to be more of a TV show prop. While it did see some studio time during the Headquarters' sessions, it was never used live.

Interesting in one photo Mike appears to have the 'Gretsch' name masked over with tape on the pick guard of his blonde 12-string. Makes me wonder if he was 'negotiating' with them at the time of the photoshoot!

– Doppler

I’ve often wondered why Nez (or someone) taped over the Gretsch logo on the pick guard. The curious part it that it’s masked in some of the videos shot over the course of one day (2 Aug 67) at the Rainbow Room and in others videos, it’s not masked.

Anyone remember The Monkees episode from '67 entitled "Find The Monkees"? The Four Martians, The Foreign Agents, The Jolly Green Giants and The Monkees were all running around an audition with every late '60s Gretsch guitar imaginable. So many cool Gretsches in one spot made me freak!

– duojet55

My favorite episode

With an ebay user name and a war chest that should be enough info to be able to go after the guitar. There are legal methods of compelling ebay to divulge personal information of it's users in the event of known stolen property, but it would probably take some coin to put the thumb screws on the company.

I didn't know about this gear site, it's really neat.

It was nostalgic to see credited someone I knew very well once and that's Kevin Schmid. I remember when we were playing Ann Arbor circa 1989 and there was this guy with all this Monkees stuff working at the venue. I said to him "you don't have the most key Monkees item and that's a Gretsch Monkees."

One came up at Elderly not too long after that and I told him and he picked it up.

I met that Andrew Sandoval chap in LA once or twice in the early 90s. He worked on a lot of very cool Rhino projects which were quite frequent at that time.

I never even knew about the Duo Jet Jones bass till a couple of weeks ago--only to find out there were two versions (or maybe a reneck?). I think that's the coolest Gretsch bass of all.

Another bit of off topic is that I denounce the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for ensuring the Monkees will never get in based on this "they didn't play their own instruments" business. The Wrecking Crew played on the records of 1/4 of the bands there and the Motown or Stax house band another 1/4.

Register Sign in to join the conversation