Other Players

Coal Burner” changes hands

Well for any Telecaster-heads, the 1954 Telecaster known as "Coal Burner" owned by Bill Kirchen for 50 years, heard on Hot Rod Lincoln, etc, was just sold to its new owner in this area. They knew each other a long time when BK was living around here, and it was just a matter of when -- he just felt the time had come Details of deal otherwise not known.

It happens -- Dave Edmunds sold his iconic '59 blond 335 thru Southworth Guitars around 13 years ago. Other notable players have declined when the stolen guitar they made their name on turns up and they could get it back -- 2 famous one being the Jack Bruce EB-3 bass, and the original McGuinn Rick 12. Often these players are just more into their endorsment models ... Bruce had a Warwick ,and McGuinn his Rick 12 model.

Shouldn't the original owner whose guitar was stolen get the money from the sale? Or the insurance company who covered the loss? This seems like someone's just a fence for stolen goods.

Shouldn't the original owner whose guitar was stolen get the money from the sale? Or the insurance company who covered the loss? This seems like someone's just a fence for stolen goods.

– wabash slim

Those were just two examples I had heard of-- both pretty long ago. Not sure about the legalities -- just more that original owners just weren't all that bent on getting their old guitar back -- just no interest.

In fact I recall seeing that Bruce wrote a letter confirming it was his bass to whoever bought it! It surfaced again after about 25 years.

kirchen has been usin his rick kelly reclaimed pine tele for years now..he loves it!

as per dave e, he sold his classic 335 after serious heart surgery while living in L.A....sad...he moved back to wales soon after

two great pickers ^

cheers

kirchen has been usin his rick kelly reclaimed pine tele for years now..he loves it!

as per dave e, he sold his classic 335 after serious heart surgery while living in L.A....sad...he moved back to wales soon after

two great pickers ^

cheers

– neatone

Thanks for the Edmunds story -- I had heard it was a divorce... but still he switched to Fender anyway. I did get to touch it. This was around 2007. A fan in the US got it.. .heard it was 60K but who knows.

Got pine Tele body going to spin off myself pretty soon. It's a different scene.

Register Sign in to join the conversation