Other Players

Chet stories you have a little trouble believing

With Chet's long and illustrious career we have all heard tons of stories. Some I just find hard to believe! Now, Chester is my all-time hero and this isn't a poo-poo on him or his music. I was just wondering if anyone besides me had one or two things that might be a little hard to swallow. I have many but I'll just start with one of my favorites; When Chet was asked about his beloved 1959 Gretsch CG he said "it was just one they sent me". Not one he special ordered or requested. That part I believe. I don't believe the folks at Gretsch just sent him any-ole stock guitar!!! I can hear it now...."Hey Billy, go and snatch wunna them Country Gentlemans off the rack and mail it to the world's greatest guitar player and top Gretsch endorser". Naw, I believe "they" checked it out very well, tweeked it, played it, inspected it, and chose the very best one they could find and sent THAT ONE to him. And by the way....Jerry Reed was not Chet's son-in -law!!! What's your story? Thanks, Steve

I heard that Chet Atkins invented the peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

I asked Chet himself backstage when I saw the guitar itself and realized it had a wider fingerboard. His response was he had them send one with a wider neck. I remember at the time thinking he meant sending one of his back for a re-neck but I got it wrong

That's not the only wide neck he had so it is impossible to know when he got started on them. I get the feeling the company had widenecks on hand to install in whatever body a customer might want.

The thing about that particular 59 was that the fingerboard was more accurate

Re: "invented the peanut butter sandwich"

Chet once remarked "Les Paul invented everything" because Les did seem to claim a hand in every invention or design there was

How ya doin', Norm? Glad to see you back!

NORM!!!

Good to see you here, my friend.

Sorry for the derail Steve, but Norm's back. It's a kinda big deal...

NOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRMMMMM

Great to see you stop in again! All the best to you.

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

I second that motion!!! Welcome home, Norm!

Woohoo,Norm's back! Glad you could make it!

That's not the only wide neck he had so it is impossible to know when he got started on them. I get the feeling the company had widenecks on hand to install in whatever body a customer might want.

The earliest handful of Country Gents also had wider 25.5" scale necks, including the previously Chet-owned Jethro Burns '57 Gent that Gruhn had a few years ago. So it's possible that Chet's personal Gents had wider necks from the get-go. At least one of them did.

NIce to hear your "voice", Norm! Been thinking on ya!

Saw the topic title and thought “if only Norm would chip in”!

Good to see you here, Norm.

The earliest handful of Country Gents also had wider 25.5" scale necks, including the previously Chet-owned Jethro Burns '57 Gent that Gruhn had a few years ago. So it's possible that Chet's personal Gents had wider necks from the get-go. At least one of them did.

– Afire

Were these Gents the Ivory topped prototypes and/or did the 25.5" scale migrate to a few of the regular production '58 Gents? I know the current re-issue '59 Gents (as well as others) have 25.5" but I thought after the prototypes all Gents were 24.5" until the late '70's.

I always heard that he rarely bathed because it made his fingernails soft.

I always heard that he rarely bathed because it made his fingernails soft.

– Billy Zoom

I am sure that Mrs. Chet was a fan of that.

I think that not bathing story was attributed to a classical player, possibly a flamenco player. His name escapes me now.

Were these Gents the Ivory topped prototypes and/or did the 25.5" scale migrate to a few of the regular production '58 Gents? I know the current re-issue '59 Gents (as well as others) have 25.5" but I thought after the prototypes all Gents were 24.5" until the late '70's.

– lx

Yep, some of the first batch of Gents had the 25.5" scale and 1 3/4" nut width with a flat D-shaped five-piece neck. I used to own one, 26405:

My recollection is that some, but not all, of the first roughly 15 of them were like this, and after that the 24.6" scale and 1 11/16" nut width three-piece neck became the standard.

My 6122-1959 has the long scale and wide fingerboard. I started using it because it was easier to play with my arthritic and otherwise messed up hands.

Register Sign in to join the conversation